Sponsored by:

Newbie by the side of the road in the dark

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 04:18 AM
officemanager
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie by the side of the road in the dark

OK second post of the day... And I'm hoping not related...
First one was over filling the oil by a qt... Anyway tonight in the dark on the side of a country road in the Hamptons I threw not 1 but 2 fan belts [hey maybe more who knows it's darker than...
Anyway I shredded one belt and the other seemed whole but it was much too dark to see... When I stuck my hand, into the dark [and off] engine compartment 2 belts are what I came up with...
Question 1 -
A. Have the car towed to the ****ty Hamptons dealer [and get it back in the fall]
B. Have it towed the 130 miles to my independent Porsche mechanic 30 miles north of home [NYC] and pick it up later
C. Have it towed to my local Hamptons mechanic who works on my other cars and is a good conscientious mechanic.
D. Have it towed to my house as I'm presuming in the dark that there isn't anything seriously wrong and my 41k miled 96 993 just tossed a belt and that that one took the second one with it... and that any idiot can change a belt [any idiot but me maybe]
Question 2 - Do the replacement belts need to be or should they be Porsche or will any belt do...
Question 3 - Is this an easy DIY project or are special tools, belts, an automotive degree and 20 years of Porsche experience needed to complete this project. I can't imagine that but the depth and width of what I don't know about German and now ROW engineering is beginning to scare me...

Chris Rolf [be the side of the dark dark road]
Old 07-27-2003, 06:07 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow Chris! Lots of questions!

I would go with option A or B. There is a trick in tensioning right the belts. The spacers contained within the big rollers as well as the tension is vital. Belts should be replaced at least every 4 years IMO even without having racked up the miles. Its cheap insurance as I suspect you were still on the original items. You will need a special tool and yes it is a DIY found at Robin's website:

http://p-car.com/diy/vbelt/

good luck!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:25 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Chris,

I would encourage you to change the belts yourself. Following the directions on Robin's website it's a DIY. It's not hard so long as you have the right tools. As a plus you don't have to jack up the car or crawl around underneath it. Definately get the special tool that goes in the alternator shaft. As far as measuring tension on the belts most people allow for about 1/4" deflection. Robin makes mention of a Gates tool on his site, I've put a photo of my tool below which is the Gates. I've used it without any problems for many years. With respect to setting tension it's simply a function of putting in or taking out shims between the pulley halves. The A/C belt is tensioned my turning a bolt so you don't have to bother with shims.

You should also install the updated pulley when you change you belts. It consist of two pieces. Your old pulley may have been the cause of your belts sherdding.

Use only Porsche belts and change all three.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:04 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chris-

I agree 100% + with Ron, it's really not a big deal. Take your time, buy a tension gauge, get a few extra shims, when you get your belts get an extra set. I did the job last week took me about three hours. I had to re-shim the fan belt 3 times and did the alternator pulley upgrade re-shimming that 3 times, followed Robins' DIY.

BTW...You really need to keep a small flashlight extra belts and the belt R&R tools + a DME relay in your car, JIC IMHO.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Newbie by the side of the road in the dark