Sponsored by:

Spoiler or Wing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 03:31 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler or Wing?

I thinking of putting a 993TT tail on my C4S. Can anyone here please comment on where to purchase the right tail for my car? Also:

What do I look for?
Aprox. how much?
Is it a DIY (installation)
How many pieces does it come in?
Does it bolt on to the existing rear deck lid?
Where do I take it to get it painted?
Old 07-26-2003, 04:53 PM
eion
Instructor

This DIY article includes stuff on fitting a tail, although it's a 993RS tail on a narrow-bodied car.

MASHAW have a good reputation for excellent quality and fit, and all the parts that I've seen bear that out - however, I have none of their parts on my car personally. No affiliation, etc. Their Turbo S and their TT tail are both 1-piece parts and cost $1,150 ($1,400 for carbon fiber).

Alternatively, you could try dismantlers like Parts Heaven, MS Road and Race, etc. (also no affiliation)

Or you could buy new. The part number for the TT spoiler is 993-512-511-00-G2X, but I suspect it'll be *seriously* expensive.

To get it painted, any decent body shop should be just fine. Unless your car has been painted very recently and you still have the mix code for the paint that was used, you'll almost certainly have to return to the body shop after fitting the tail for them to blend the new paint on to the surrounding panels, otherwise it'll stick out like a sore thumb.

One last thing... it's normally not advisable to fit a tail except in conjunction with a front splitter/spoiler. Too much downforce on the rear of the car, not enough on the front...
Old 07-26-2003, 05:09 PM
ksimpson
Racer

You should also consider the Turbo S bi plane wing. I think it looks better than the turbo wing. I have it on my car as a factory option. Again, I'd say it's expensive to buy new and nearly impossible to find a used one.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

I have the TurboS Tail from MAshaw. Go to my link below for pictures!! (also no affiliation)
Old 07-26-2003, 10:43 PM
KeithR3
Pro

EION: One last thing... it's normally not advisable to fit a tail except in conjunction with a front splitter/spoiler. Too much downforce on the rear of the car, not enough on the front...

This is confusing...why do I need front splitters w/Turbo tail? I thought the C4S and TT had the same body...
Old 07-27-2003, 02:39 AM
eion
Instructor

Originally posted by KeithR3
EION: One last thing... it's normally not advisable to fit a tail except in conjunction with a front splitter/spoiler. Too much downforce on the rear of the car, not enough on the front...

This is confusing...why do I need front splitters w/Turbo tail? I thought the C4S and TT had the same body...
Ah, yes, of course, I wasn't sure that the S came with a front spoiler like the Turbo - it had the normal pop-up rear spoiler, so I assumed that the front would be spoiler-less, like the normal cars. On checking, I see that the S does, in fact, have a front spoiler like the Turbo.

So, let me revise my earlier statement - whichever tail you decide to fit, it's sensible to fit the corresponding front spoiler/splitter as well. If you're set on the normal TT tail, then you're fine.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:27 AM
KeithR3
Pro

Whew! Good to know! Thank you Sir...

Anyone know what a 993TT Tail goes for (Original Equipment)? Part#?
Old 07-27-2003, 01:33 PM
eion
Instructor

The part number is 993-512-211-00-G2X, but that's just the main part of the tail. You also need a couple of grilles and various other bits of small hardware (clamps, sleeves, washers, spacers, stops, gaskets, screws, nuts, covers, etc...) that aren't found on the normal tail. PM me and I'll dig out a parts list/diagram for you.

Quick Reply: Spoiler or Wing?