Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 Vette - help me exorcise the demon!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

working and buying parts for that car will make you hate ur P-Car.

$75 brake calipers, yep... Ample affordable quality parts. Super easy to work on. Fun to drive. And grabs way more positive attention than ANY P-Car.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to agree with everything that EMBPilot has to say. Easy and inexpensive to work on. Some nice examples owned by fellow Rennlisters. Coupes are the way to go if you are going to go after one...more practical.

My father was selling his after owning it for 40 years...and it was my first rebuild. I went to the shop were he ad it on consignment and I just couldn't let it go. Called him that day and told him I'd buy it. Now just to find a nice place to store it...need a much bigger garage!

Can't wait to get it home. Waiting on some nice weather.

Here it is:

Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Lloyd
Rennlist Member

I have owned two 1967 Coupes and loved them. However, that mid year model has crossed the aisle to the "collector car" category. Neat car for an afternoon drive, until a teenager starts tailgating you to see what it is. Also, not a car to run hard, autocross, or leave in the rain. The Corvette guys put value on originality and if it gets whacked...the value may suffer. Call me a weenie, but I would rather put my money in a 993 Turbo and drive the hell out of it. But....if I had the spare cash, I would buy it and park it in my living room.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 537 Posts

EMB...is that your '66? What are the specs? Very nice looking car!
Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Onami, my Dads '66, small block
working on it has made me appreciate what its like to work on a car and not exercise my vocabulary, its refreshing.

his is mostly a drivers car, not perfect, but it is original for the most part and shows well. these can be had for about as much as our cars.

Mstolo, thats an insane collection!!!

Last edited by EMBPilot; 02-14-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd
I have owned two 1967 Coupes and loved them. However, that mid year model has crossed the aisle to the "collector car" category. Neat car for an afternoon drive, until a teenager starts tailgating you to see what it is. Also, not a car to run hard, autocross, or leave in the rain. The Corvette guys put value on originality and if it gets whacked...the value may suffer. Call me a weenie, but I would rather put my money in a 993 Turbo and drive the hell out of it. But....if I had the spare cash, I would buy it and park it in my living room.
993 turbo is almost in same boat with current values.
Almost too nice to use every day
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mstolo
I have to agree with everything that EMBPilot has to say. Easy and inexpensive to work on. Some nice examples owned by fellow Rennlisters. Coupes are the way to go if you are going to go after one...more practical.

My father was selling his after owning it for 40 years...and it was my first rebuild. I went to the shop were he ad it on consignment and I just couldn't let it go. Called him that day and told him I'd buy it. Now just to find a nice place to store it...need a much bigger garage!

Can't wait to get it home. Waiting on some nice weather.

Here it is:

Glad to see you kept it in the family. It is worthy.
What year and options?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:14 PM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1964 327 300 h.p. All numbers match. Restored to original. Rest of the cars in the photo are at the buyacorvette dealer where it WAS on consignment!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I owned a 63 split window coupe for years. As others said, I don't think I've ever driven a car since that got more thumbs up and compliments when I drove it. By the way, I'm surprised that none of the other C2 Vette owners have mentioned this yet but what's up with the headrests? No C2 Vette came with those.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:59 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
By the way, I'm surprised that none of the other C2 Vette owners have mentioned this yet but what's up with the headrests? No C2 Vette came with those.
Headrest seats were a factory option in the Corvette from 1966-1967.

http://www.rogerscorvette.com/specs/66.htm
Old 02-14-2014, 09:43 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Corvettes

I'm a little late in picking up on this posting, but I am of the age that grew up with these cars. I've owned 58 and 66 Vettes. For most of the straight city streets that we normally drive, they are a blast and a real shot of adrenalin. And, they were easy and cheap to work on (relative to our P-cars).

That 67 big block coupe that you saw at Champion is just beautiful. But, it is a custom car. That paint scheme was not an option in 1967. Which is probably in your favor. Corvette people are absolutely **** about "originality". They want numbers matching cars that are all "original".... they are so ****, and will pay ungodly amounts of money for an "original" car, that an entire industry has been established to counterfeit "original" "numbers correct" parts. You can buy any part you need, with whatever number you want stamped on it......for a price.

So, there are three categories of Corvettes out there. The first are just the drivers that have done well but are now very old and probably not running very well. The second group are the "original" cars. It is amazing what money these cars will bring at an auction. And, there is the third category, which I will call "custom" Corvettes. These are cars that have been restored or extremely well maintained, but which may have accessories that are not OEM or period correct. They still command high prices, but nothing like the original car category I mentioned above.

For a custom car, expect that the engine has been rebuilt at least once, and has probably been modified. Cams, pistons, different combos of carburetors and handling accessories.

But, the 67 Corvette is considered the most popular and sought after Sting Ray out there. The one you looked at had knock off wheels, side exhaust, and the coveted big block motor, which would have been a 427 cubic inch carbureated motor in those days. Horsepower postings were in the low 400 range....but the car was a barn stormer. Wickedly fast. And, they were not particularly bad handling. But, they had a separate frame from the body, and the body does "move around" on the frame.

The car also had lots of creature comforts.....air conditioning (that worked well), power steering and brakes. The 4 seed gearbox in these cars was very good in the day.

What the car suffered from though was heavy weight, and not well developed technology on the manufacture of fiberglass. In fact, the fiberglass work was pretty horrible on all these early cars. Large panel gaps, highly flexing hoods, etc. With limited slip and an IRS rear end, the cars were not bad.....but, being heavy, they did not handle like a Porsche.

Out of curiosity, what was the price on the Champion 67 coupe? Out here, that car could be anywhere from $70,000 to over $100,000.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Actually, a dealer could request a trim override in '67 to get this color combo approved. I have no idea if the car in question is in its original configuration or not.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Here are a few shots of my old '67 Coupe...58,000 miles and completely unrestored with original paint etc. It is a very rare L79 with A/C and power steering. The wheels shown are not the original rally wheels, but I did get them with the car and bought new red line repop tires for the car.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:16 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAA
I owned a 63 split window coupe for years. As others said, I don't think I've ever driven a car since that got more thumbs up and compliments when I drove it. By the way, I'm surprised that none of the other C2 Vette owners have mentioned this yet but what's up with the headrests? No C2 Vette came with those.
As the C2 progressed in to later 60's, things like head rests and back up lights came along.
Lets not forget that the first year for the C2 coupe had no head rests, no back up lights and a big "split bar" in the back window that created a blind spot (a one year only feature).
Known today as the Split Window Coupe
Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mstolo
1964 327 300 h.p. All numbers match. Restored to original. Rest of the cars in the photo are at the buyacorvette dealer where it WAS on consignment!
My 63 looks the same.
I put my drum brakes in boxes and installed these disc brakes which just fit (hide) inside the stock wheel sizes.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 1967 Vette - help me exorcise the demon!!!