Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Do you give a ride just for fun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Do you give a ride just for fun?

Slightly OT..but still on 993 topic.
I work at the company with about 400 employees. I deal probably with 30 of them on daily basis. From time to time I find myself giving my co-workers "an introduction to 911 world" rides. I am just curios if it is common among us (owners of 993s) to be asked to give a ride just for fun of it.
To say true IT IS fun to me too to see how my co-workers (or just any other guy I know) are impressed during the run. How their eyes are sparkling with full of excitement and new discovered emotions. I hope that the first person experience with this car help to realize that 911 is not a poser car (well there is a bit of that too =) or the car to show up you have "some bucks" (rather than you are quite successful man!).
Old 07-22-2003, 08:44 PM
Labatt
Instructor

A lot of you will probably think this is just the wrong thing to do, but before I had my P-Car, I always wanted to try one. One of the justifications to myself for getting my 993 was to allow others to experience what I never did. So, as a result, not only do I take others for rides in my P-Car, but I let enthusiasts actually drive it (and not just in a straight line). The only people I've had take me up on the offer so far are people who know how to drive - I've been fortunate. They are also people who I trust, and they know what's going to happen to them if something happens to my baby.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:59 AM
MikeInfo
Instructor

I also let people drive my car...usually people I have driven with before. I never ask but always take up an offer to drive other cars as I am always interested in any car. I know what it means to be allowed to drive some very nice and rare cars and like to share what little I can.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:33 AM
Rohan Nath
Racer

I let fellow enthusiasts drive my car. Does not happen to frequently but I have no problems doing that....People have been kind to me in this regard and I feel I should return the favor.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:11 AM
waybrig
Instructor

I have also let anybody drive mine that is interested and can drive a stick competently. The more Porsche enthusiasts we create the better!

One mistake I made though was on the first day I brought the car to work. One of the guys I work with is very unpredictable and does some really dumb things every now and then. He and a female coworker were going for a smoke break and wanted to know where the car was parked so they could take a peek. I go one step further and give him the key so they can actually sit inside, etc...

When he gets back he starts talking about the fact that he started the engine. I'm thinking he has to be joking, nobody would think of doing something like that, right? He leaves the room and I ask the female coworker what happened. Sure enough he decided to start the car up! It gets even better though. He climbed in the car with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth! The female coworker had enough sense to make him get rid of it.

I couldn't really get too mad, I guess I was asking for it. I just didn't think anybody was dense enough to have that little respect for others property.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:28 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let a couple of my clients (female) drive my previous 964 cab with no problems. The 993 C4S has not been driven by anyone other than myself and my P-car FANATICAL brother in law!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I have given plenty of rides and find it so much fun to hammer through the gears and hear the whoops of joy as we zip through the twisties. I have even let a few people drive my 993, although with the lowered suspension it's a bit nerve-wracking until I feel completely comfortable that my friend will indeed take it easy over bumps and driveways.

Most of my friends have never sat in, let alone driven, a 911, so I feel integral in spreading the P-car gospel. That said, the balky 915 tranny on my old Carrera didn't win too many converts.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

I often give colleagues or co-workers a spin in my 911. I ask them if they want to go for a ride, or do they choose to take "THE RIDE". I mention that the later might require the signing of an insurance waiver. Just a joke, but it's important to know how comfortable they will be when you push the car far beyond anything they might have experienced before.

I often have visitors from our distributors in Latin America. I try to seek out those folks that are really gearheads, and treat them to a ride as we travel to a group social function. NOBODY gets out of the car without an ear to ear grin.

On a rare occasion, I will let one of my mature, trusted associates try the car themselves. I have to say that this is a daunting experience and proves I could never be a DE instructor. Pull g's while in the passenger seat is a whole lot scarier than from the driver's seat.

I remember a vacation as a 6 year old when we visited some distant relatives. This was in the late '50s. It turned out that one of my aunts drove a full race Corvette. She gave me a ride down a country lane to the lake, and I was a HOOKED! Been pursuing cars ever since.

Cheers,
Old 07-23-2003, 10:16 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I enjoy watching others drive my car. I figure, it is a gift that I have an opportunity to own one anyway so why hoard it? Not everyone will have the same ability to own one. And, they don't follow you when you die. You know, that "things of this earth will rust away..." quote?
Old 07-23-2003, 03:33 PM
914und993
Pro

This past weekend I had a family reunion to attend in the Ozarks of southern Missouri. A favorite second cousin I unfortunately had not seen in about 20 years spent the night with us before we set out in convoy to the reunion. Naturally, he went with me in the 993, and my wife with his wife in their Acura.

Though he is a former F4 and F/B 111 pilot with a Vietnam tour of duty under his belt, and dabbled in Jaguar XKs while in England, he got the biggest thrill out of driving the 993 in the Ozark twisties. It was truly just as much fun watching his reaction to the car's handling and performance as driving the segment myelf, and all weekend he kept mentioning the experience to others and thanking me again.

As an aside, this was the first real road trip since the suspension upgrade to H&R springs, Bilstein HD shocks, M030 front bar and RS rear bar. I wondered if the stiffer suspension would be fatiguing on a long trip, but it wasn't. Even my wife (on the return trip) found it comfortable.

Chip
Old 07-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I must admit I don't like others driving the car unless I really trust them...and even then. I let a close friend drive it and I enjoyed it because he is a enthuiast, could not affort a 993, but really enjoyed the handling. But it still makes me nervous! Heck, even my wife has not driven my car in the last two years....
Old 07-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too don't mind taking others for a ride in the car, or letting close friends drive it. It's fun to see/hear their reactions from both seats.

-Chris
Old 07-23-2003, 07:35 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

I used to be a tight wad when it came to having others drive my '86 Carrera. That used to be a very stressful moment for me as I was a terrible passenger!

However, in 5 weeks of owning the C4S, I've let more people drive it versus the Carrera. I don't let anyone drive it, but just people I know well.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:45 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 71 Posts

My mom once told me:
Never lend out your car, your money or your girl..

I thought that was great advice..

Quick Reply: OT: Do you give a ride just for fun?