Sponsored by:

Bridgestones or Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
I would recommend a dedicated set of track wheels/tires versus burning up a set of street tires at the track. Superior traction with a set of Hoosiers, etc., plus you preserve your street tires.

And while you're at it, pop-in some track pads too, and remove them once back on the street.
I'd throw the rolling eyes back at you, after your reply to Ken. Making the statement someone needs to go to R's or slicks and not knowing their level of skill, is just zany.

Most are well served to do a season or two on street tires to really gain some skills. They'll know when they need more grip, and as Ken notes, that is associated with mechanical improvements to their car.

If I were inclined (meaning having the time) to track my 95, I know I'd have a ton of fun on streets, as I'm not planning on any more mods.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:28 AM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Making the statement someone needs to go to R's or slicks and not knowing their level of skill, is just zany.
Excuse me please, but I did not state anyone needs to go to slicks, etc. - reread my post.

I suggested that instead of burning-up street tires on the track, to instead burn-up a set of dedicated track tires, thus preserving the expensive street tires.

Using track-tires on the track vs streets is completely independent of skill level, plus they're WAY cheaper. I can get a complete set of nearly-new, used R Hoosier's (265x18, 335x18) for $320 plus shipping, which is the cost of one Pilot Sport Cup street tire.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Excuse me please, but I did not state anyone needs to go to slicks, etc. - reread my post.

I suggested that instead of burning-up street tires on the track, to instead burn-up a set of dedicated track tires, thus preserving the expensive street tires.

Using track-tires on the track vs streets is completely independent of skill level, plus they're WAY cheaper. I can get a complete set of nearly-new, used R Hoosier's (265x18, 335x18) for $320 plus shipping, which is the cost of one Pilot Sport Cup street tire.
My mistake, I should have stated that SUGGESTING Hoosiers without knowing skill or car setup, is zany.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can get a complete set of nearly-new, used R Hoosier's (265x18, 335x18) for $320 plus shipping, which is the cost of one Pilot Sport Cup street tire.
And Hoosiers start cycling out, plus start showing front-to-rear balance problems after maybe the second session out. If it counts, you'd better be damned sure you're ready on lap 3 of your qualifying session with stickers. You won't come close ever again with that set.

Again, if someone is a 1:57 driver in a 1:48 car at Laguna, s/he's not putting much wear on the tires. Further, figuring this typical entrant is only coming out 3-4 times a year, and we're down to rounding error of the tire's life expectancy.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:22 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

My mistake, I should have stated that SUGGESTING Hoosiers without knowing skill or car setup, is zany.
Evidently you do not track a car much, otherwise, you'd realize your statement is 'zany'.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
And Hoosiers start cycling out, plus start showing front-to-rear balance problems after maybe the second session out. If it counts, you'd better be damned sure you're ready on lap 3 of your qualifying session with stickers. You won't come close ever again with that set.

Again, if someone is a 1:57 driver in a 1:48 car at Laguna, s/he's not putting much wear on the tires. Further, figuring this typical entrant is only coming out 3-4 times a year, and we're down to rounding error of the tire's life expectancy.
Ken, I agree, and it works out perfectly - spending just $340 on a set of track tires which will easily last an entire season with a driver who's learning to track their car.

In the meantime, they'll have a fresh set of expensive Michelin's to put back on after the event to drive on the street for years.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:18 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

you just lost your credibility
Old 08-03-2014, 01:36 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Matthew Morse
Hey Brendan - how have the S-04's been since putting them on in January? Would like to hear your feedback as I'm making a tire decision this week on the S-04, S-02A or RE050.

Thanks! -M@
Wasn't addressed to me, but I just also put S-04 in the back.

I just took car to the track, the tires were pretty good, but you gotta bring the tire pressure down (30 cold, 36 hot) and they do soften a bit by the end of the session. They provide plenty of squeal in the turn but hold on to the surface so you know when you are getting to the limit. On spirited drives on public roads I never hear them. Tires are also great in rain and colder temperatures.

As I found out these tires are also extremely durable, I got a flat a week ago, which I could not tell because of stiff sidewall. Then I heard a pop, which sounded like I ran over something (it was actually tire blow out). I ended up driving for 15min on blown tire, cornering at speeds (although I knew something was up so I let it off a bit) and when we finally stopped I got out to check out the car - the rear tire was flat. When I took the wheel off I saw this all the way around. I'm amazed how well the tire held up. It wasn't tire defect, I found a puncture on the tire, which let the air out, which cause the blow-out. Thankfully ever rim wasn't damaged.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:36 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ken, I agree, and it works out perfectly - spending just $340 on a set of track tires which will easily last an entire season with a driver who's learning to track their car.

In the meantime, they'll have a fresh set of expensive Michelin's to put back on after the event to drive on the street for years.
And I vehemently disagree--no way, no how do Hoosiers (hell, even these premium 100% street tires) assist in learning. All you're doing, at best, is cost shifting. I'll put learning over cost shifting every time.

One thing I'd love to know is how your baseline degrades over these used tire's life. I pulled some data from the last set of Hoosiers I used on the faux RS, circa 2008. Thunderhill bypass. Best lap was Session 1, lap 3--1:58.883. Must have had traffic, because it took until lap 6 to go sub-2:00 again. Rest of the day I never cracked 2:00, save for two laps in the 3rd of 4 sessions where I managed 1:59.774/1:59.538. Three months later I couldn't crack 2:02 with that set (showed 14 heat cycles), and was actually quicker on some 5 year old RA1s. (Comparison is 993RSR at sub-1:50 by Pobst, and current similar pwr/wt ratio E36M3, the reigning NASA GT3 National Champion @ 1:52.XXX. Most 993 street cars with slight mods are usually around 2:10.)

That's about all I have to say on the subject here. Maybe 35 years of this has set me too far in my ways, but I've pretty much seen it all. Anyone have more specific questions, feel free to email me.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:55 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harlan, since you have a lot riding on your tires I would recommend Michelin!
A 993 C2S deserves the best no-matter the cost.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Evidently you do not track a car much, otherwise, you'd realize your statement is 'zany'.
Originally Posted by NYC993
you just lost your credibility
With every post he loses credibility.

I've done plenty of track days-probably 6 or 7 tracks. Developed a pretty nice '84 DE car over about 10 years. Saw all kinds of stuff during that time. The ones that were the most predictable, and probably the most dangerous, were the guys that ran out and threw R compound tires on, after their 2nd or 3rd DE. When they lost the cars' control, they had not much help of recovering. Also, a car on stock suspension sure looks "sexy" going around turns on R's. The quality of handling on a car rolled over a lot, must be superb.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

On topic- I really haven't had a bad set of Mich or Bridgestones. As noted, I love my new RE-11's. They did well in wet too.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:23 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 303 Posts

Having had the opportunity to drive the 993 back-to-back with MPS2 vs Bridgestone S-02 I would say that the S-02 gives a slightly better driver experience, due to the harder sidewalls.

So 'turn-in', precision, dynamic feedback, whatever other phrases you heard down the pit-lane, the S-02 is IME better than the MPS2.

Also IME the Bridgestone S-02 is a tyre that defies it's design age - it still works brilliantly on a 993 in the dry/warm and is better than modern tyres the R&D on which 'should' mean that the modern tyre wins... nope, not for my driving style.

Downsides? S-02 is not quite so good as the MPS2 in the cold and wet.

I wouldn't touch the S-04.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:40 PM
SwayBar
Rennlist Member

Suit yourself fellers.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:47 PM
NYC993
Drifting

With every post he loses credibility.
Yea...I didn't read the subsequent post about used R compounds lasting the whole racing season...

Quick Reply: Bridgestones or Michelin