Sponsored by:

New Garages

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlme36
Since you are an architect by trade, you'll no doubt do a sketch up design. The one ah ha moment that I had was taking into account the depth of any cabinets or workbenches you plan to have. All along I knew I was going to use a particular cabinet and planned around them due to their depth of 24".

As you can tell I was very involved in design and install of parts to cut down on expense where practical.

rob
We don't use sketch up too much, just for quick 3d feasibility studies.
3D Studio Max, Rhino and Revit are the programs we run in the office.

Personally, I sketch in marker and pencil then it's drawn in CAD and/or a 3d program.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
993/907
Pro

Hi Ish; I get it about the inspectors being on-site and poking around....didn't realize the scope of this project!

Couple of ideas for consideration.
In addition to the usual overhead lighting, install continuous fluorescent strip lights on perimeter walls, say 6' AFF; facing "out", sim to a paint booth.
T-5 lamps are brighter than T-8's, have the same lamp life but cost a bit more.

Install 8' p'wd wainscot on interior face of walls; MDO paints well and is durable; A/C p'wd is good too.
Great for hanging shelving, tools and taking some abuse.

Interested in other opinions about in-floor heat.
It is more costly to install (underslab insulation, Pex tubing, glycol, boiler) and can be costly to operate if you keep the space well heated all the time; also slower to respond due to thermal mass of the slab.
Think I would prefer direct fired unit heaters...they will heat the space quickly after using OH doors.

Sounds like a great project, carry on!

Gordo
Old 01-04-2014, 04:29 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a builder for nearly twenty years,I'd highly recommend icynene,You can get really good insulated doors…but at a premium though.Obviously radient's a great idea,but Mini- split units are also really catching on for smaller spaces too. Chain hoist on a 8-10ft pivot is a great,simple,yet cheap tool for the DIYer.Parts washer and sand blaster are both inexpensive as well.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993/907
In addition to the usual overhead lighting, install continuous fluorescent strip lights on perimeter walls, say 6' AFF; facing "out", sim to a paint booth.
T-5 lamps are brighter than T-8's, have the same lamp life but cost a bit more.

Interested in other opinions about in-floor heat.
It is more costly to install (underslab insulation, Pex tubing, glycol, boiler) and can be costly to operate if you keep the space well heated all the time; also slower to respond due to thermal mass of the slab.
Think I would prefer direct fired unit heaters...they will heat the space quickly after using OH doors.
Gordo
Originally Posted by cmd4
Being a builder for nearly twenty years,I'd highly recommend icynene,You can get really good insulated doors…but at a premium though.Obviously radient's a great idea,but Mini- split units are also really catching on for smaller spaces too.
I love your idea for lighting, as a matter of fact the whole idea of the separate 4th bay on the existing 3 car garage can really develop into a positive purpose built wash / detail bay. I am going to add unit heaters to this bay only with in slab radiant heating in this and all other bays.

The guest house above the garage is going to have a VRF split system for ac and heat, I doubt it will ever be used in the depth of winter. I will also use the VRF for garage AC. I plan on keeping the garage at a min of 45 in winter and a max of 80 in the summer.

I'm going to skip Icynene in the main house for a couple of reasons:
Off gassing - Although most off gassing takes place during curing, the jury is still out on long term effects
Toxic Fumes - In the event of a house fire, Icynene produces toxic smoke
Winter application - Cold substrates during application can cause long term shrinkage ( cue dick jokes here )

Soooo after much research I've decided to use Bonded Logic's denim insulation with a 6mil VB

As for the garage doors I used CHI Doors on my beach house and was very happy with it, double steel skins, foamed in insulation and overlays on the exterior.
They have nice carriage house designs and white powder coated tracks.

I do love the idea of a chain fall and I'm def including that

Guys Thanks again for all the input
Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 307 Posts

Not sure if you mentioned this yet, but i'd put a compressor in the space with some really good air tools. Also wall mounted cabinets up off the floor- I have them in my garage and they're great!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:06 PM
993/907
Pro

Ish, I have a project underway that includes the lighting and wainscoting I mentioned.
Should be finished in about six weeks.....I'll shoot you some pix when done.

Client elected to use closed cell spray insulation, Demilec Heatlok Soy 2 lb.
Walls 6" R42 for about $35k; roof 9" R63 for about $33k.
(This is a 3900sf shop/garage with future apartment above).

In cold weather app they first spray a flash coat of lower density stuff about 2" thick; after electric and plumbing rough-in they come back with several spray coats of 2 lb and build to spec thickness.

Gordo

Last edited by 993/907; 01-05-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Thanks Gordo, I appreciate the information
Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 PM
WBYonder
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts

When I added a 16X48 garage, I had 3 solar tubes included (14-inchers, I think). During the day, I don't need to turn on the light to get stuff and if it's bright outside I can work inside without lights. Also, clerestory windows (13-ft ceiling) add a lot of light without aiding prying eyes.

Quick Reply: New Garages