993 Forum 1995-1998

Resurface Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Turning rotors = $7.00 ea x 4 = $28 New OEM rotors per Sunset = $4xx.00 Fuzzy math; or some Porsche owners idea of inexpensive? You do the math Happy New Year, Rennlisters!
And try to find a place that'll cut them. Not happening around here...
Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
IMO, resurfacing rotors on a Porsche is a no-no.
Why?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Why?
You remove meat and heat dispersing ability when you grind rotors. If the car is driven hard, it could compromise brakes by allowing them to get hotter than they should.

It takes a pretty darned good braking system and turns it in only X% of a pretty darned good braking system.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

You remove meat and heat dispersing ability when you grind rotors. If the car is driven hard, it could compromise brakes by allowing them to get hotter than they should.

It takes a pretty darned good braking system and turns it in only X% of a pretty darned good braking system.
I hear you, but by the same token so does using your brakes at all. OP said that his brakes were at 80%, so I wouldn't think that would be too big of a problem. I know my turbo rotors certainly seemed to have an ample amount of meat on them when new. YMMV.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

But you turn them, and lose more mass than you would in wear. New rotors last a long time-if they are good ones. Except perhaps, with a lot of track work. Then, it is MOST SURELY a no-no turning rotors-one has to suck it up and spend the money on consumables.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

$7 to turn a rotor?? I use a very good but value-based Porsche mechanic, and I would be shocked if he turned them for that price.

How much are front Porsche rotors now? $130 each? They were $105 from Sunset a few years ago and that was an absolute bargain in the Land O'Porsche. Moreover, 993 front rotors will last a pile of miles before they need to be replaced. The price of $260 doesn't seem bad at all, especially when a track junkie will buy them for $40-$50 per pair at the local seedy motel.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

It's just "one of those things"! Even my old fleet of Sprinter vans had throwaway rotors. You should have seen how soft they were. The pads would groove them up so bad that they looked like 45's. They never had brake vibes. Even old Volvos had throwaways. Neither of these were grooved or slotted but the example I'm making is in the materials...
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
$7 to turn a rotor?? I use a very good but value-based Porsche mechanic, and I would be shocked if he turned them for that price.

How much are front Porsche rotors now? $130 each? They were $105 from Sunset a few years ago and that was an absolute bargain in the Land O'Porsche. Moreover, 993 front rotors will last a pile of miles before they need to be replaced. The price of $260 doesn't seem bad at all, especially when a track junkie will buy them for $40-$50 per pair at the local seedy motel.
A bargain compared to Cayenne TS rotors, or E55s or C43s..
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
My experience 0n a 1996 Carrera ; Stock pads + spiders = little squeal, no spider = lots of squeal Never had luck with any aftermarket pads not squealing. Also as my rotors approached minimum thickness limit the brakes became a lot nosier, replaced rotors with existing pads quieted right down. anecdotal stuff.
Sorry I am not aware what the "spiders" are. Can you illuminate me? Thanks!

Mike
Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saneproductions
Sorry I am not aware what the "spiders" are. Can you illuminate me? Thanks!

Mike
Please keep up-I noted this in post 7.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spiders are round disks with a little metal pressure clip on the back. The pressure clip looks kind of like the legs of a spider. The clip inserts into the caliper piston and the disk can be/is stuck to the pad backer with wurth spray. By creating a connection between the pad and the caliper piston, pad vibration is minimized. Pad vibration is the squeal you hear.

Most people remove the spiders for track time, it makes pad changes easier and nobody cares if your brakes squeal on the track.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi!
I have brakes that are around 80% but the only problem is the previous owner glazed my disks slightly and they squeak. Is it worth having the disks lightly re-surfaced and installing new OEM pads? If not I will just wait out the brakes a while and replace everything.
A 993 is too fun of a car to drive around with squealing brakes! I would take Steves advice and start with the pads on a belt sander. Cheap!

I thought it is around 1k for a full set of parts
It is. I recently bought 4 rotors and oem pads from sunset, 550ish rotors 270ish pads. You need new front caliper bolts (recommended) and if you do the spiders, with shipping theres not much change.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Has anyone tried the ProCut brake lathe?
No, but interesting, have you? I would be tempted to get my new rotors resurfaced when I need new pads. It seems as long as you have plenty meat left, smooth surface on smooth surface has to be worth something?

Originally Posted by pp000830
My experience 0n a 1996 Carrera ; Stock pads + spiders = little squeal, no spider = lots of squeal
Interesting - I did mine all new oem, no spiders, zero squeal. Maybe I got lucky!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry man, I didn't understand. I appreciate your help. Will defiantly try the sandpaper pad trick and make sure I have spiders on there now that I know what they are.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

baloney (bəˈləʊnɪ) or boloney
n
1. foolish talk; nonsense

Easy there Ed...

Of course Ed is right theoritically...

However if the Porsche engineers have quoted min allowable thicknesses as stated in the workshop manual, then they have done the math to determine that the reduction in thickness (not under stated specification) is NOT appreciable to the overall performance of the braking system.

Porsche engineering, especially something as critical as a braking system, is over designed by a margin of x that allows for turning of the rotors.

Ed, and anyone who knows anything about engineering, knows and understands this...

The rest is simply lunch meat...

Not trying to shock you Mark, just stating a fact...Is the rest of the Porsche world to understand if you cant get a service peformed for the price I paid; then it must not exist?
I'm jus sayin...

Last edited by nine9six; 01-03-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Paul, let's not get too enamored with Porsche engineers......do we need to start the list again?

Personally, for a car that can be driven in anger, and only sees so many miles a year-I'll stick with "full meat" rotors, instead of a resurface. I've done enough track days in the past, that is goes against my will to not do everything humanly possible to avoid a soft brake pedal.

Amortized, a full brake refresh isn't very expensive on an annual basis.

Originally Posted by nine9six
baloney (bəˈləʊnɪ) or boloney
n
1. foolish talk; nonsense

Easy there Ed...

Of course Ed is right theoritically...

However if the Porsche engineers have quoted min allowable thicknesses as stated in the workshop manual, then they have done the math to determine that the reduction in thickness (not under stated specification) is NOT appreciable to the overall performance of the braking system.

Porsche engineering, especially something as critical as a braking system, is over designed by a margin of x that allows for turning of the rotors.

Ed, and anyone who knows anything about engineering, knows and understands this...

The rest is simply lunch meat...

Not trying to shock you Mark, just stating a fact...Is the rest of the Porsche world to understand if you cant get a service peformed for the price I paid; then it must not exist?
I'm jus sayin...

Quick Reply: Resurface Rotors