Sponsored by:

Nice surprise, found Dynaudio speakers in doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Nice surprise, found Dynaudio speakers in doors

Figuring out all the little mods done to this car by the PO's has been pretty exciting. Today I took a front speaker out to see if it was an aftermarket and found it to be a Dynaudio (MW160). My car is not optioned for the HiFi package.

Name:  dcUpIVv.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  30.3 KB

Behind the speaker was a Polk Audio piece shown below. Is this an aftermarket driver/amp in order to get the Dynaudio's to work with the factory sound system?

Name:  T27F5L4.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  38.3 KB

Either way I guess I will not be upgrading my sound system as these speakers still looked good and from the boards, the Dynaudios are pretty good. Not sure if the tweeters are stock, and the rears are some Clarion's, not sure which model as I havent dug into the rear audio.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

http://www.gattiweb.com/images/dynaudio/MW160.pdf

The Polk device is (most likely from what is pictured) a frequency dividing/crossover network... Nice find the Dynaudio MW160 speakers! There's a 3 inch voice coil on those suckers, a sturdy motor assembly. A high quality automotive 6.5" mid-woofer speaker.

What is connected to the Input side of the Polk crossover? Gotta be an amp or the radio's output... or a former time or another....? The output side goes to the Dynaudio's and the other speakers?(tweeters) I'll go out on a limb and suggest there's Polk tweeters somewhere ....

Not knowing the actual crossover points,,, it could be hit or miss. OP, its time to go "active".

What's not to like!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

That is a Polk crossover for 2 separates, high and low.

Should be an amp somewhere, if those are running off headunit power, they aren't being used to full potential.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:27 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As far as I can tell, there is no amp elsewhere in the car. Checked the trunk, under the passenger seat, and have had the rear deck off for another matter, and nothing is hidden back there. Im going to keep looking, but I think the input of the crossover is directly attached to the headunit outputs. Which would make sense as I have been complaining about low volumes. Since the setup seems capable, I think the next step for the audio is to add an amp (2 or 4 ch.?) I'll most likely have to have someone do the work as I'm so bad at car audio. The rears sound nice, so maybe just a 2 ch. to power the fronts if one isnt in there somewhere already. Also need to check the tweeters to see what they are. So many surprises.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Adding a 2 channel amp to drive the front separates will make a considerable improvement.

Low frequencies especially take a lot of power.

There are a number of amps that will fit under the passenger seat if that is your desired location. mine is mounted inside my spare, with sufficient wire slack to still remove the spare.

Quick Reply: Nice surprise, found Dynaudio speakers in doors