Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone change thier clutch master cylinder themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 06:30 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone change thier clutch master cylinder themselves?

Last edited by Wreck Me Otter; 10-31-2004 at 04:01 PM. Reason: ..
Old 07-21-2003, 06:51 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I actually had the same idea. I want to replace mine. I notice that the first 1/4 inch of travel on the piston has no resistance.

George
Old 07-21-2003, 09:04 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Why are you replacing yours?

I'm probably going to do mine next weekend (2nd and 3rd of Aug.). When do you plan on doing yours?

George
Old 07-21-2003, 09:15 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Are you going to update the clutch pedal kinematics lever? I'm on my third slave and I still can't get the initial play out of the pedal. Please keep me posted.

George
Old 07-21-2003, 01:12 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I see, that's what I was using as my reference point. Can't you just use something like an allen key to hold the plastic spring tension holder? If it does go all the way down, can't you just pry it back up when you are ready to install the new mc?

I feel like I just oversimplified it.

George
Old 07-21-2003, 01:15 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Kim,

PM or email Fishman. I know he has done some clutch cylinder work (can't remember if it was master or slave).
Old 07-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

i replaced the master and slave on my dad's cup car, my guess is that they're the same as the stock 993. It was pretty straight forward. Take out floor boards and disconnect lines, (the brake fluid doesn't leak as much as the it does on the brakes, just make sure that you lift the end of the line up), replace master cylinder, then bleed system. The only tip i have is make sure you check the clutch pedal stop so that the cylinder itself isn't stopping the pedal.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:17 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by George A
Are you going to update the clutch pedal kinematics lever? I'm on my third slave and I still can't get the initial play out of the pedal. Please keep me posted.

George
George,
I don’t think you can eliminate the free play you’re speaking about. I have the updated lever, and I still have some free play. It does feel much better though. I recommend the lever replacement. I had a mechanic do it for me, so I can’t address DIY issues. I had the service bulletin for the replacement, and it was more than I was prepared to do. Working under the dash is a PIA.

Tom
’95 993
Old 07-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

yeah, i did it with the pedal cluster in the car, but i honestly have no clue about the tensioner spring, if i remember correctly the pedal just flopped around after the plunger was dissconnected,so maybe the cupcars don't have the tensioner spring?
Old 07-22-2003, 02:29 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Tom,

Did you just replace the lever or the lever and the mc? I use to have no free play in the clutch until one day I ran into the hanging clutch problem. Since then, I've had the slave cylinder and clutch replaced, still I can't get rid of the free play. One day I was looking around the cluster and noticed the boot torn, so I started playing with it. My conclusion was that the mc provided no pressure for the first 1/4 inch of movement. I tried tightening/loosening the spring but it made no difference.

BTW, I driven a couple of 993’s that didn’t have this free play, so I assume it can be eliminated.

George

Quick Reply: Anyone change thier clutch master cylinder themselves?