993 Forum 1995-1998

Speakers for 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 AM
993anorak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
^ A nice clean coaxial arrangement plus the actual speaker units look robust! Gotta sound great as well.
It does. Real good surrounding sound now. No need for a woofer when the XBass is "on" !!

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-18-2014, 11:06 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Recently sourced a couple of (out of production) Focal brand 7inch woofer/mid-woofer speakers that like yours have robust motor assemblies, voice coils, spiders, etc., Can't wait to try these in place of the HiFi options bass reflex enclosures. The OEM HiFi enclosure/speaker cover fits precisely over the 7 inch speaker for a stealth install.

In the appropriate application, speaker size is akin to engine displacement.
There is no substitute . .
Old 01-18-2014, 11:25 AM
993anorak
Instructor

Just recently I've sourced two Focal brand 7inch woofer/mid band speakers that like yours have robust motor assemblies, voice coils, etc., Can't wait to try these in place of the HiFi options bass reflex enclosures. The OEM HiFi speaker cover fits precisely over the new speaker for a stealth install. In the appropriate application, speaker size is akin to engine displacement size.
There's no substitute for displacement. .
I have the same HIFI option on my S.
Could you be kind enough to tell me/us, the reference of your Focal 7 inch woofer/mid band speakers; I may want to change also !!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:46 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Focal model Utopia 7W2 woofer/mid-woofer -7inch

A preliminary mock up has validated the stealth install of the 7W2 woofer/mid-woofer 7" (stealth is a must) and with the active signal arrangement, filtering (EQ) will be minimal.
Attached Images      
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default JBL model MS-62C Two-way component set; 6.5inch (165mm) and 1 inch (25mm) tweeter

For your consideration is a * moderately priced two-way with a passive crossover network, the JBL kit; 6.5 inch (165mm) woofer/mid-woofer and 1 inch (25mm) tweeter.

The kit would be great for a 993 without the HiFi speaker option. The kit is good quality and sounds fantastic when driven by modest power. I have first hand experience having completed installs in two of our other vintage cars. Both of these HiFi systems are active with stealth aesthetic. Stealth aesthetic costs money. . .

* under $199. USD from internet HiFi store sales; e.g., Sonic Electronics.
Attached Images      
Old 01-19-2014, 04:04 AM
993anorak
Instructor

For your consideration is a * moderately priced two-way with crossover JBL kit; 6.5 inch (165mm) woofer/mid-woofer and 1 inch (25mm) tweeter.

The kit would be great for a 993 without the HiFi speaker option. The JBLs are quality audio gear which fits nicely and sounds fantastic when driven by only modest power. I have first hand experience having completed two installs in our '66 T-bird convertible and '79 Beetle cabriolet. Both of these HiFi systems are active with stealth aesthetic. Stealth aesthetic costs money. . .

* under $199. USD from internet HiFi store sales; e.g., Sonic electronics.
Full disclosure... JBL Professional / UREi employee in the 1980s. A lifetime ago....
Many thanks, I saw the JBL option vs the Focal mentioned earlier. Brilliant competitor. This is a great solution too.

I understand your are "biased" with regards to JBL !!

I am now thinking of maybe updating the entire set of speakers (Hifi Option) for the coupe S.

Can you confirm if the Hifi Option came with a woofer ? I have not found it.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:15 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Most all 993 production cars have 5.25 inch (130mm) woofers located in the doors. San's the RS versions cars etc.

The #490 HiFi speaker optioned 993s have a 5.25 inch (130mm) woofer installed in a bass reflex/ported enclosure which is door mounted. Additionally there's an external audio amplifier (modest/low power output) located under the passenger seat.

Oh Gawd, ,, haven't owned anything audio by JBL Professional, or "Harman" for that matter in decades... Owned a pair of Urei 813's waay, waay back when, and a pair of JBL Pro 4343 studio monitors, which are both raw by today's comparison...
Active audio monitoring strategies have been available for decades.
Popular tools of the audio engineering trade are often active ATC's, PMC, Genelec, Dynaudio, B&W, etc.. There is not a short coming in good to dam good active audio monitors in the world.
Wow, how time flies....

P. S., the out of production Focal 7 inch and the new JBL components while both pictured were not meant for comparison or even related, not really. Mentioned the value speaker kit - the JBL 62C kit, only casually.

Originally Posted by Gillesdesvallois
I understand your are "biased" with regards to JBL !!

I am now thinking of maybe updating the entire set of speakers (Hifi Option) for the coupe S.

Can you confirm if the Hifi Option came with a woofer ? I have not found it.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:57 PM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=M. Schneider;11063900]The 993 production cars have 5.25 inch (130mm) woofers located in the doors. The #490 HiFi speaker optioned 993s have a 5.25 inch (130mm) woofer installed in a bass reflex/ported enclosure mounted, located on the doors. Additionally an audio amplifier (modest/low power output) is located under the passenger seat.

Having given a little time to reading this thread, what would you recommend doing first to aHiFi option, original system?

I also have a desire to upgrade the head unit IOT gain iPhone use for music and telephone options, plus RnR the original amp under the passenger seat.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:42 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know if these Polk tweeters will work with the stock hi-fi head unit and amp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DB1001-1-Car...-/231131898107

Quick Reply: Speakers for 993