993 Forum 1995-1998

Speakers for 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:40 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
I went with FOCAL 165's in the doors and POLK 4x6's under stock grills in rear deck.
Did you replace the main speaker with with 2-ways and leave the tweeters disconnected or did you replace all?

There are a LOT of Focal 165 choices!! CA1's, VB's, IC's extra.

Any specifics would be great. I'm looking to replace my speakers as easily as possible. I not not have the HiFi option and I would prefer to just replace both speakers in the door with one that does everything and just disconnect the tweeters but leave them intact.

Thks

G
Old 12-11-2013, 09:19 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bumps
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey phoneyman -
So,, the objective is to replicate as OEM production,, the HiFi options (#490) wiring harness? Lemme take a fresh look at the with and without Hifi wiring schematic's. And we're sailing round the cape, not using the canal because? By that I mean there are alternate means to an end.
Tell me you have the "it must be factory" syndrome? ... It takes one to know one.....
Is your end game to have the 993s HiFi options door carpeted /grill arrangement only,, (without the spkr enclosure) however with enhanced speakers behind? Just a thought,,, its a good way to go if that's where your headed. My $.02

P.S. Just an side. The OEM CDR Porsche/Becker radio's send pre-amp level out signal, amp On/Off instruction, etc., out to the passenger seat area is by way of an ISO/DIN terminated umbilical cord, which is readily available - not sure how or why this very OEM umbilical cord would be sought. Just a thought. Using Mogami or Canarie cabling as example, a signal snake can easily be fabricated. And at a very reasonable cost/time frame.

P.S.S - you own a new Kenwood radio that you like. Cool.

Originally Posted by phoneyman
EDIT/DELETE..
...But it was my understanding that the hifi package routed extra wiring under the carpeting/sound deadening and that was why it was so expensive to get the hifi-style system installed in a non-hifi system car aftermarket? I assume I'm wrong after this post? I am talking about making everything look like a stock install.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I installed the speakers flyingchappie described in this thread. They are an exact drop-in fit, you don't even need to remove the door panels. They sound great to me (I don't have the best hearing), around $100 total:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-speakers.html
Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

After seeing all your posts on audio, I more than respect your opinion on audio, and other things 993. But it was my understanding that the hifi package routed extra wiring under the carpeting/sound deadening and that was why it was so expensive to get the hifi-style system installed in a non-hifi system car aftermarket? I assume I'm wrong after this post? I am talking about making everything look like a stock install.
The 993 HiFi included an external amplifier made by Nokia, that was mounted under the passenger seat. the standard stereo used headunit power and no external amp, thus only had wiring from the dash to the doors and the rear deck. the Hifi option has wiring that goes under the passenger seat and back to the doors and rear deck.

Typically, the optional or even base stereo in most any car is vastly overpriced compared to what you can get aftermarket. One of the best headunits available today from Pioneer is under $400.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:09 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I installed the speakers flyingchappie described in this thread. They are an exact drop-in fit, you don't even need to remove the door panels. They sound great to me (not the best hearing), around $100 total:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-speakers.html
This is awesome, thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Man,,, taking a second and long look at the Blaupunkt BT 410 and 420 radios. In terms of 993 dashboard aesthetic,,, me thinks there a winner. A huge value play it would seem. Smart money.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:19 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im getting a little confused by thread as I was speaking from a standpoint of keeping everything completely OEM which a lot of people seem to like on this site. I like modding my car how I see fit, but also like being able to go back to stock easily in case I sell it someday. I'll take back what I said since I do not know anything about the sound system from experience, just from what I've read on this thread. Like I said, I just want to slap in speakers that arent 17 years old and call it a day.

PS: I do not particularly like my Kenwood headunit. What I do like is that there is bluetooth, it was cheap, and it makes the speakers vibrate. Which is good enough for me in a car that I dont listen to much music in.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Did you replace the main speaker with with 2-ways and leave the tweeters disconnected or did you replace all?
I replaced the tweeters as well. The tweeters fit perfectly behind the factory tweeter covers/grills.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Pardon.

In the immortal words of SNL's Rosanne, Rosanna Dana, Never Mind.

Good Luck.

Im getting a little confused by thread as I was speaking from a standpoint of keeping everything completely OEM which a lot of people seem to like on this site. Edit:

EDIT:
PS: I do not particularly like my Kenwood headunit. What I do like is that there is bluetooth, it was cheap, and it makes the speakers vibrate. Which is good enough for me in a car that I dont listen to much music in.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Default decision

So, I ended up going with the OEM speakers. Paid about $600 including labor, taxes etc. Reason being is that I want to keep my car as completely bone stock as possible. My 993 is not my daily driver so it's all about the driving experience and enjoying the sound of the engine. The radio is just to have a little background music and the sound quality is just fine for that.
Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:58 AM
993anorak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed yesterday those FOCAL 130 yesterday on my cab on the standards doors holes. We put the original plastic grill back. huge improvement.
Attached Images   
Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Man,,, taking a second and long look at the Blaupunkt BT 410 and 420 radios. In terms of 993 dashboard aesthetic,,, me thinks there a winner. A huge value play it would seem. Smart money.
I installed the 420 in a MBZ last week. Nice radio, however I think it has too much bling for a 993.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:26 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Too much bling for the 993, that's a bummer. Is the Blaupunkt black plastic on the shinny side? The interior of our cars is austere. The simplicity of the OEM CDR radio units is hard to replicate ..

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
I installed the 420 in a MBZ last week. Nice radio, however I think it has too much bling for a 993.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:59 PM
993anorak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For information, this is the BLAUPUNKT that was fitted when I bought the car (I kept the CR 1) This the HEIDELBERG 220 BT (Bluetooth, iphone, CD and telephone...) real treat with the FOCAL 130 !!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Speakers for 993