Sponsored by:

Brake duct upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake duct upgrade

One of the benefits of having the 993 up on jack stands is discovering everything that needed work that wasn't otherwise obvious. For example, I found my front driver's side jack point is collapsed, assorted screws and washers had been substituted in for the stock parts on the various covers, and spiders have lived and died by the dozens in every nook and cranny. And as the attached photos show, something else was missing. Photo 1 shows the passenger side front control arm. Note the brake duct. Photo 2 shows the same on the driver's side. Hmmm. I found and ordered the replacement part, but also started wondering how useful these are. This article indicates they are less effective on lowered cars, which mine is: http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2002/4-2002.htm

I wonder if anyone knows of an upgrade for the stock duct? I'd rather not fabricate my own if I can avoid it.
Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting read in your link posted above and I know this is not what your asking about but I think for front brake cooling upgrade many use these ducts.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...Foglights.html
Old 12-09-2013, 02:11 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Just replace the stock duct and be done with it.

People run the foglight duct kits in conjunction with the stock duct, not in place of the stock duct.

The article you posted is interesting and definitely a worthwhile modification if you find yourself in need of more brake cooling, however, given that you discovered your broken duct only through visual inspection, not a deterioration in braking performance, it's probably safe to say that you don't need more brake cooling than what is provided by the stock configuration. Additionally, doing that mod will result in more broken brake ducts down the road, literally, since it will reduce ground clearance compared to the stock configuration.

It looks like the price of 964/993 brake ducts has gone up 250% since 2002.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Interesting, RS uprights minimize this problem by keeping the control arm flat.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Those brake cooling deflectors are very efficient and work better than they may appear.

We use them on track & race cars!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by Vandit
Just replace the stock duct and be done with it.

People run the foglight duct kits in conjunction with the stock duct, not in place of the stock duct.

The article you posted is interesting and definitely a worthwhile modification if you find yourself in need of more brake cooling, however, given that you discovered your broken duct only through visual inspection, not a deterioration in braking performance, it's probably safe to say that you don't need more brake cooling than what is provided by the stock configuration. Additionally, doing that mod will result in more broken brake ducts down the road, literally, since it will reduce ground clearance compared to the stock configuration.

It looks like the price of 964/993 brake ducts has gone up 250% since 2002.
Well there was that time at Le Mans at the end of Mulsanne where I noticed some fade....

Point taken. I am replacing with the factory part for now.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Interesting, RS uprights minimize this problem by keeping the control arm flat.
This is certainly the best solution. An expensive one though, and it looks like a fairly tough DIY.

Quick Reply: Brake duct upgrade