Sponsored by:

Help adjusting Pss9's

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Help adjusting Pss9's

edit: for reference my PSS9's are stamped 2005, so about 8 years of corrosion.

I have the car up on jack stands, wanting to adjust my Pss9 ride height. Both rear threads are pretty clean and turn with the tool pretty easily, but both front ones are corroded with a whitish looking corrosion on them and refuse to go much. The locks go down no problem, but the part you adjust height (I need to go up) with the tool goes about 1/2 turn then refuses to budge through the gunk any further. I soaked them last night with wd40 - no help. Any suggestions on how to (and what to use) to clean them or get them to turn? I can lower them alittle to get a little access to the mm I need to clean but what should I use? Anyone run into this? I only need to go about 5-10 mm. I am trying to achieve RS+10 ride height. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JB 911; 12-05-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added edit line for future readers
Old 12-04-2013, 01:08 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

For anything that is stuck, I always use PB Blaster. Its the best lubricant/solvent I've been able to find. WD-40 is a hydrophobic lubricant that basically helps protect against rust on certain things, but not always the best for cleaning grime. Soak the affected area with PB Blaster and let it sit for at least a couple hours. If that doesnt work then you might have bigger problems.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:07 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Another excellent penetrating solvent is KROIL. Check with local industrial supply companies. May not be as easy to find as PB Blaster but does a great job. If you can obtain a small brass brush, try cleaning the threads to remove as much corrosion as possible.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:50 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a brass brush and your car was detergent and scrub those threads. You don't have to do all the threads, just the enough in your adjustment range.

Howard
Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't clean all the threads????? This is a 993 he is working on! We require a full shock cleaning with before and after pics or else you will be banned for life!!!!

Phil.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks - the pb blaster and brass brush helped.

If you are moving the adjusting ring down. you are less likely to have a problem since the first few mm are passing though where the lock ring was and are shiny clean. Going up, (which I was) you are cutting into grime, even after soaking and cleaning with pb blaster and a brass brush. Half way though the first one I noticed that dirt had accumulated on top of the adjusting ring both from time on the car and as a result of moving the ring up through the corroded rings and hides behind the blue spring. I cleaned it out with a small water squirt bottle and every half turn I resquirted with water. Then adding some more pb here and there for good measure. Using this technique, the last 3 combined took less time to adjust than the first one. I think the first one got some debris in between the ring and the threads. I lowered it cleaned it, went back up but never could get it to turn as easy as the other 3.

Quick Reply: Help adjusting Pss9's