Sponsored by:

Installed Fisters on my TT. Before and after VIDS

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Installed Fisters on my TT. Before and after VIDS

I installed Fister mufflers on my TT. I had an extra set of mufflers that I sent to Darin (kept my originals in case I want to go back or enter a concours lol).

I asked Darin why there is a choice of stage II or stage III on N/A cars but only one option for TT and he explained that Turbos have a natural "muffling" effect and Stage II's would be virtually no different from stock.

Anyway, without further ado, on with the show;

BEFORE

direct link http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/ba...48393.mp4.html

AFTER

direct link http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/ba...ec133.mp4.html

You'll notice a "pop pop pop" sound about 10-20 seconds or so after I start the car in both vids. That is a side effect of installing the Dansk chrome tips that I had done a few years ago. It stops once the exhaust warms up a little. I thought maybe when I originally installed the tips there was a little leak around the donut sealing ring. I tried to resolve it when I installed the Fisters but its still there. May need to order some new donuts and see if that stops it.

Last edited by badabing; 12-03-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Your turbo sounds great!! My stage 3 sounds about the same at idle.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

nice, nice difference.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Interestingly, with the windows closed you can barely tell the difference. To me that's a plus, no droning and I can still hear the turbos spooling and the engine screaming.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:20 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

NICE. Its the LPMM character to the power of 10. Nice.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
NICE. Its the LPMM character to the power of 10. Nice.
Whatever ever happen to Leland Plate (sp) ?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

A couple of observations that I have had with my Turbo and others (including stock, Fisters, bypasses, and modified/mixed flow systems). Just my two cents...

1 - The sound during a cold start on a Turbo is much different than when it's warm, way more noticeable than on the NA cars - it's louder and more burbly when cold, and sounds better than when warm. Your videos sound like a cold start.

2 - The left and right side on the Turbo stock exhaust are completely separate, and thus the car sounds like two 3-cylinder engines. I do not like the sound of the car idling with a more open mufflers with this separation when the car is warmed up, the sounds is not smooth as a 6 cylinder engine should be. When the car is moving its not bad.

3 - The best sound modification I have heard to date is doing a Fister-like muffler and a set of cross-pipes like Fabspeeds, etc. that allow for the left and right sides to sound mix. The tone out of both mufflers will become much smoother and very even toned. Knight has one of the best sounding Turbos I have heard, and he has a custom pre-muffler exhaust system that I do not recognize - we think it may be custom. It mixes both the left and right hand exhausts at the catalytic convertor before splitting them back up to head back to the mufflers.

I do not think the "popping" sound is due to the exhaust tips - all of the 993 Turbos that I have started cold have that burble and popping noise, but its muffled much more with stock mufflers, and more pronounced with mufflers like Fister's. I doubt if changing any seals/donuts will do anything. Put on your old tips with Fister's and see if it goes away.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Installed Fisters on my TT. Before and after VIDS