Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 350Z drive impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 09:40 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

G35/350Z are really great cars. Love the styling. Finish is equally nice.

I should rephrase that, "if it was my money I'd be buying a 993".

Old 07-21-2003, 09:42 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

It's interesting to theoretically evaluate the cars under discussion and much different to actually buy one in the marketplace. List price and actual price paid depend on market forces that are created by availability. I wanted a lot of bang for the buck in a daily grocery getter that could be fun to drive.

I liked the G35 and the comment on the Nissan vs Infiniti dealers is very accurate. However, in my area it was impossible to find a 6 speed G35 without every conceivable option on it, including a sun top which I personally hate. The difference in actual price paid between my Z and a G35 6 speed would have been around $5000 for the G35 due to market forces at the time. The dealer told me they would not take an order for a car without everything on it, and would never sell it at less than list price.

I looked at the Evo, or at least tried to. The local dealers at the time were not sure how many they would get and the next ones they were getting were spoken for at over list price. Same with the STi. These too would have been interesting for my purposes.

As for the styling evolution, by the time that is a consideration my Z will be long gone and I will probably still have my Porsche...which I agree is a timeless design.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:08 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My post was an honest assessment of my first ever drive in a 350Z. Certainly the looks, styling, etc is not timeless like our 911's. However, I do think it is a great package of looks, performance, creature comforts, etc that I wouldn't mind having one for the family. Can't say the same about the EVO or the WRX, despite their respective performance capabilities. Someone hit it right on the head, the EVO and WRX are cheap econoboxes with tons of mods.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:18 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

...not to mention that if you're driving an Evo or WRX then every kid in a Honda with a Wing West spoiler will be revving on you at every stoplight...all the while your kids in the backseat will be asking "Daddy, why is that man's car making all that funny noise?"!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

.......exactly what happened to me when I bought a '98 Acura Integra Type R....until they finally came and stole it from me....
Old 07-21-2003, 10:32 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by David in LA
...not to mention that if you're driving an Evo or WRX then every kid in a Honda with a Wing West spoiler will be revving on you at every stoplight...all the while your kids in the backseat will be asking "Daddy, why is that man's car making all that funny noise?"!
for sure. But in an EVO or STI you could walk 95% of the cars and beat 99% out there.

These cars are very well made. Certainly aren't timeless or vaults nor has the amenities but for an everyday car there isn't a better one out there.

Not getting defensive just love those EVOs.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by nota_troll
But in an EVO or STI you could walk 95% of the cars and beat 99% out there.
Interesting note: I ran a buddy's Evo a while back from 30-ish to 90-ish and walked him. The roles might have been reversed if we went past 90, but we never got the opportunity. I was bone stock and he removed a boost jet and some sort of restrictor valve in his clutch system. We ran from a roll because: 1) I'm no drag racer and he owns the fastest 3rd gen RX-7 in the U.S, and 2) he was completely new to launching AWD (he bogged it pretty bad his first couple of tries).

Regarding Nissan vs Infiniti, I would expect pricing would be close considering that the 350 and G35 sedan/coupe are built on the same line at the Oppama plant (and therefore have similar QA/QC). The suspension is identical short of spring/strut rates, anti-sway bar thickness, and shorter wheelbase in the 350.

Cupcar: there are DIY tech pages on the S-Tune suspension on 350zforum.com. Installation is fairly simple. No special tools (i.e. spring compressor) are required. This upgrade is a must if you plan on tracking your 350.

Michael.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:47 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Michael - I hear ya. No offense meant to the 350Z. Quite rightly I like them alot. It took some getting used to for the rears but me likey.

From a rolling start performance values are completely different.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:56 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

...These cars are very well made....
I don't think I would agree with this statement. Over the past 3-4 years I've been thinking off and on of getting one of these but every time I've taken a look the build quality was suspect. I have yet to see one that was more then 3 years old that was in good condition and didn't have rattles and misc noises. Of course that could be due to the type of drivers these cars attract. and the hard life they must lead...but I drive my cars just as hard and they feel much more solid.

They are a lot of fun, though
Old 07-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Michael - I hear ya. No offense meant to the 350Z. Quite rightly I like them alot. It took some getting used to for the rears but me likey.
No offense taken. Everybody has different tastes in cars - the 350 isn't everybody's cup-o-tea, likewise w/ the Evo. The good news is that we're all on this board because we like Porsches (at least, I do).

From a rolling start performance values are completely different.
It's mostly driver from a "dig" because of the launch technique and reaction time (although it does help having an AT, more low-end tq, etc.). The "street start" eliminates the launch technique and limits the reaction time.

Regardless, the Evo is a pretty tough open track contender against the 350. At least, that's what I'm hearing from those w/ first-hand knowledge.

Michael.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:03 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Michael,

How are you doing? So, have you updated the shocks/struts on the Z yet?

George
Old 07-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Originally posted by George A
How are you doing? So, have you updated the shocks/struts on the Z yet?
Aw man, just what I need. Please don't tell these guys the GTI story.

Yes, I have the full S-Tune suspension on right now. I chunked my RE-040's that last PCA DE so I'll be new and improved w/ S-03's this time. I'll let you and Carlo take it out next time I see you guys. Have you gotten all your suspension done yet?

And what's the skinny on Hallett? I'm going to the ZCOT DE on Sep 7 and shooting for PCA MSR Sep 19-21. Brad will be doing Driver's Edge Sep 6-7 so he'll probably request you or his previous instructor.

Michael.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:26 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I haven't even started yet. I start this weekend (the wife will be out of town). I've almost got everything in. I'll be pushing it to get it all done in three weeks. My goal is to have it completely ready by the end of next month so that I can do the Drivers Edge event. I’m not sure I’ll make the PCA since they are so close together. Maybe I’ll have some fun with Brad.

You will the like the S-03 but I don't think they'll last as long as the RE-040's.

George
Old 07-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

I shouldn't have anything going on this weekend so let me know if you need a hand. I need to get started on 993 DIY projects if I'm planning to be in a 993 some day.

You will the like the S-03 but I don't think they'll last as long as the RE-040's.
Well, the RE-040's are more expensive, have a 140 tread wear rating, and an ultra-high performance tire. The S-03's are less expensive, have a 220 tread wear rating, and a max performance tire. Their tread width is even 1" wider than the RE-040's! Never really understood why Nissan slapped the RE-040's on the 350 and Michelin Pilot Sports on the G35c.

Hey, I got a gratuitous money shot for ya from the PCA DE:

The only thing missing is your 993 in the background. Ok, maybe not.

Michael.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Michael
If you are serious into tracking your car you need to go with these Motons a friend had a hand in developing. They run a 350z in Grand AM Cup.

www.350evo.com

Quick Reply: First 350Z drive impressions