Sponsored by:

Magnus Walker

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Not to take anything away from Walker, as I've always liked his enthusiasm and cars, but I'd much rather see what Singer Design would do with a 993.
The Singers, being all "backdated" to have the long hood setup and wide but more refined fenders, are utterly beautiful. Thats somewhat why Magnus's cars are all so sought after... because everyone covets the "long hood" era as the most beautiful, most desirable, probably partially because they carried with them arguably the most popular motorsport era (I'm more of a Carrera Cup guy), but also because guys like Magnus are [re]building them outlaw style and driving them outlaw style and ultimately, thats what makes those cars cool.

They're not garage queens, appreciating on purpose and hoarded for the sake of collecting... They are garage kings, appreciating on accident and hoarded for the sake of being fun to drive.

I think the 993 resembles the style evolution of the early SWB and long-hood 911's better that what came of them thru 1994. The 993 has the "long-hood" rounded nose, the narrow body 993's roll under the sides more similar to the early 911's, the fenders are wide but not abruptly jutting... everything else was simply an engineering improvement, not a strong style change. If Singer developed a program for the 993, I'm sure it wouldnt be far from what they already have... because they've built questionably, the ultimate 911 already. They could enjoy the improvements of the 993's suspension and possibly the sport seats... I really prefer the hips on a 993 to any other 911 ever... I dunno.

Lets get Singer a donor 993 with an owner who has some cash

Enjoy my crude attempt at photochopping a 993/Singer creation... haha

Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 PM
c4consult
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job Rich!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Magnus is doing something right: you're all talking about him and he makes works of art the command a high premium.

That is what all artists want to accomplish
Ed Zachary.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:09 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Wow Rich. I did not realize that was a photoshop until you mentioned. Of course, once I knew, then you know.

"Lets get Singer a donor 993 with an owner who has some cash "

Heck yeah I'd love to see that. If I won the lottery tomorrow and I had to choose between a 918 and a SInger, that would be a tough choice. Actually it wouldn't I'd get both but wait, I'd still have to choose one first...
Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 PM
mondogarage
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911

Heck yeah I'd love to see that. If I won the lottery tomorrow and I had to choose between a 918 and a SInger, that would be a tough choice. Actually it wouldn't I'd get both but wait, I'd still have to choose one first...
Singer is why I play the lottery (on rare occasion). A Singer 911 is pretty much the most beautiful piece of art on the road. imo, of course. Well, that and a Veyron for the missus.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by King Luis
i always wondered what he'd do with a 993.
He's not doing something "major" so I think there already,are very similarly done 993s out there. For example, my 993 has no side skirts (although not always, I change stuff back & forts) which I think might be something he'd do.

Not "mocking him down", actually praising because of what he does is very minimal but its the small stuff that perhaps should've been like that from the factory. Like lowered suspension on our 993s, especially in US, it's the "993 tax" and absolutely must improvement.
Like what Chip Foose does to cars, changes little things here and there so that you might not even "find" them but when you do, it's clear improvement.

He's nothing like Singer. He restores, does small (but often great) improvements while keeping the car mainly as it left from factory.
Singer practically builds a new car although IMO there is too much done for what is achieved.
Not saying what's better, in my mind Singer way isn't (because of time & money) but all power to both of them.

I much more like the approach of Magnus from,the point of view of using and rather that worrying, actually embracing the marks of usage in cars.
I used to worry stone chips in my front bumper, now I sort of like them. I guess I'm getting old, I see them as the "rally stripes" (wrinkles) around my eyes, they're signs of having good time.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
...I much more like the approach of Magnus from,the point of view of using and rather that worrying, actually embracing the marks of usage in cars.
I used to worry stone chips in my front bumper, now I sort of like them. I guess I'm getting old, I see them as the "rally stripes" (wrinkles) around my eyes, they're signs of having good time.
It's called patina in some circles and the appreciation for cars being left as-is rather than restored is growing. I'm with you when it comes to cars. I drive mine and use it as a daily driver, which is why I don't give a rip about mileage, but moreso about overall condition and maintenance. These cars are too wonderful to allow to sit in garages and only to be used on weekends, IMO. I used to be of the two-car mindset and only drove the Porsche on weekends, but realized I was missing out on a lot of the enjoyment of driving the 993. I sold my E39 wagon and haven't looked back.

I can appreciate what Magnus is doing with his cars. Plus he is a brilliant marketer and has created a unique brand, as is evidenced by the big $$ he got from his last auctioned car. His car may not be worth that much to most of us (not me, for certain), but it was to someone. Kudos to him and the new owner. I also like that he drives his cars and doesn't hermetically seal them away for posterity. It's too bad some are reluctant to drive their cars for fear of putting miles on them. If you have the means, buy a second 993/Porsche and drive it like you stole it. Life is too short, my friends.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by RichPugh
Enjoy my crude attempt at photochopping a 993/Singer creation... haha
Nice 'chop, Rich. It doesn't look that bad.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also in the conversation...

Old 11-22-2013, 02:15 AM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB 911
Wow Rich. I did not realize that was a photoshop until you mentioned. Of course, once I knew, then you know.
I freehand painted the ducktail LOL
Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

He is a nice guy, I've met time a couple of times, and other than his bank account, a lot like us here-save the penchant for earlier cars. However, whether it is his marketing, or whatever, I cannot understand the absolute craze he seems to bring to his cars. He adds a few personal touches, for sure, but many of us have built some pretty nice "hot rod" 911's, just not in quantity. So, it isn't like he's invented any new technology or secrets. But, more power to him.

He's close to catching up with Rudy in car count.

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker