Passenger airbag connector

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger airbag connector

I was able to remove the airbag, but...

I have read about the resistor trick to avoid the airbag light, and would like to attach the resistor to a connector like the one in the attached photo of my airbag. It has a Siemens part# which is tiny but looks like PBT-GF30. Usually Google is my friend for such things, but so far I have come up with nothing that resembles this piece. Any suggestions?
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

seems easy right?
after taking apart the insert side(in your pic) I couldn't even find the square connectors on mouser.
I gave up and just cut and soldered the resistor.
best of luck to you.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by k722070
seems easy right?
after taking apart the insert side(in your pic) I couldn't even find the square connectors on mouser.
I gave up and just cut and soldered the resistor.
best of luck to you.
After spending the last couple of weeks disconnecting assorted bolts and screws attached by gorilla armed Porsche assemblers, and removing carpet glue concocted by sadistic chemists, I've concluded that very little is easy in our cars.

I'm really trying to keep all my mods reversible, so I'm reluctant to cut any wires. I've started emailing Porsche salvage companies, hoping that there isn't much demand for deployed airbags and therefore that they might have the connector available from totaled 993s.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Jarg1
Racer

I wasn't able to locate the part by itself, but was able to purchase a discharged passenger airbag fairly cheaply from a salvage yard.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this info, I'm looking at doing this also maybe you can do a short DIY on how you did yours.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by ironimages
Thanks for posting this info, I'm looking at doing this also maybe you can do a short DIY on how you did yours.
Will do. I should have all the parts tomorrow, but will be away for the next few days, thus won't be able to put it together until next week.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this be a good option if wanting to add in an airbag on/off switch? When switch is on, it goes straight to the airbag, and when off it goes to the resistor? What kind of resistor is needed?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Jarg1
Racer

A few of you asked for further info on my passenger airbag delete project. This is what I did.

While not necessary, I wanted to avoid cutting any of the stock wiring on my car. I was unable to find the airbag connector as a separate piece so I sourced a used (deployed) passenger side airbag from a salvage yard, then cut the wiring off the airbag. (See photo 1) I also purchased 2.8 ohm .25 watt resistors online. Finally I made a quick trip to Home Depot for heat shrink tubing. Tools used for this included wire strippers, a soldering iron, and a heat gun.

Before proceeding, I disconnected my battery to minimize the chances of an accidental airbag deployment, which I'm sure would be no fun at all. In fact, my battery remained disconnected for a couple of days before I started any work on the airbag, though I've read 30 minutes is the minimum one should wait.

The next step was to remove the airbag. This isn't too difficult, but does take some time since you have to remove the airbag cover which in turn requires you remove the lower dash. This wasn't extra work for me since I was also doing a lower dash delete and installing both the Rennline lower dash cover and the Rennline airbag delete cover (both great products BTW).

Lower dash removal instructions are here: http://www.rennline.com/PDF/da70_install.pdf Two of the bolts are very difficult to get to.

And airbag delete cover instructions are here: http://www.rennline.com/PDF/da69_install.pdf The lower fasteners for my old cover were really torqued down, and despite my best efforts to avoid it, I did end up stripping the head of a screw, which then required that I grind the head flat on one side so I could extract it with pliers.

I didn't find any instructions for removing the airbag online, probably for liability reasons, but it was also fairly easy, requiring the removal of six Philips head fasteners and the wiring connector.

With the airbag out, it was time to assemble and install the resistor. There are several ways I could have done this, but I wanted to keep as much wiring intact as possible in case I had to do further work on the part in the future, so I left much more wire than I needed. I slipped shrink tubing over the wire, then soldered a resistor to the wire ends. (See photo 2)

Next, I rotated the heat tubing so it would cover the resistor and the soldering, and applied some heat. (see photo 3)

Time to connect the resistor (See photo 4)

Reconnect battery. Now the moment of truth. Engine cranks, and.... NO AIRBAG LIGHT! Yes!!! (See Photo 5)
Attached Images      

Last edited by Jarg1; 11-22-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

That sticker attached to it kinda looks like "don't steal tampons". Glad you were able to make it work. I want to remove my passenger bag or put in a switch so my daughter can ride in the front seat in a booster as opposed to the back.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
That sticker attached to it kinda looks like "don't steal tampons". Glad you were able to make it work. I want to remove my passenger bag or put in a switch so my daughter can ride in the front seat in a booster as opposed to the back.
I'm proud to say I never stole tampons, even in my younger poorer days.

Having my daughter in front was also part of my motivation to do this. She has decided the 993 is her car.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:29 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine too...although she is partial to the RS at the moment since the airbag auto disables and she can ride in front.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey, Scott.
Great writeup! Where did you source that deployed bag? Any chance they had another?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Hey, Scott.
Great writeup! Where did you source that deployed bag? Any chance they had another?
Chad, I replied in the "Mods" thread.

PS I bought a bunch of the 2.8 ohm resistors. PM me if you need one.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey, Scott.
I just emailed DC, Weekend Rides, and LA. Weekend Rides said that they just chunk them. DOH!

Let me know how much you need for one of the resistors. I'll PP you the money for it and S&H. THANKS!

Did you get the E-Brake yet?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Jarg1
Racer

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Hey, Scott.
I just emailed DC, Weekend Rides, and LA. Weekend Rides said that they just chunk them. DOH!

Let me know how much you need for one of the resistors. I'll PP you the money for it and S&H. THANKS!

Did you get the E-Brake yet?
I saw a reference to this place on another discussion on airbags:

http://www.oklahomaforeign.com/

No charge, PM me the address and I'll send a couple of the resistors your way.

Quick Reply: Passenger airbag connector