Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

To headlight washer delete or not...that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 PM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Martin, they are referring to the photo under the username in the far-left column of the post. You can add your own avatar photo by clicking on "User CP" in the upper left corner of your screen and then "Edit Avatar" in the far-left menu. You can use the stock photos from Rennlist or add your own.
Well it all makes sense now. I had that option unchecked in the preferences so they werent even showing up. Fixed it and all is right in the world again. Thanks Busta!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
BRAVO!!!! You sir, are a damn fine Father!

Reminds me of time in my Dad's workshop with him. Those fix-it, modify-it, build-it skills have been invaluable to me in life, not only with cars and around the house, but in my engineering career where few have the practical, hands-on skills to make stuff work robustly for the real world.
Thanks Keith! I appreciate it. I do try. Gotta teach them problem solving skills early. Im a very fortunate guy!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Update, new OEM windshield installed perfectly with perfect seal tight all the way around Front and rear bumpercovers plastic welded to euro spec. Lower rockers painted and........squirters deleted. The more I looked at it the more they had to go.

The paint is incredible and the match on bumpers etc is top notch. I have glued and stapled the seals (Thanks 9M!) and will start putting back together in a week or two. In the pic with the bumpercover, it is just sitting there. Not mounted. Trying to show my wife the difference. Mary Christmas to me
Attached Images    
Old 12-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
Update, new OEM windshield installed perfectly with perfect seal tight all the way around Front and rear bumpercovers plastic welded to euro spec. Lower rockers painted and........squirters deleted. The more I looked at it the more they had to go.

The paint is incredible and the match on bumpers etc is top notch. I have glued and stapled the seals (Thanks 9M!) and will start putting back together in a week or two. In the pic with the bumpercover, it is just sitting there. Not mounted. Trying to show my wife the difference. Mary Christmas to me
Nicely done! I would have left the squirters on but I like the contrast against white. Nonetheless, your front bumper looks, as I would say after taking a nice drink of my favorite Scotch...smooooooooth!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 02:45 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=Busta Rib;10994142]Nicely done! I would have left the squirters onQUOTE]

Dammit man......I don't want to hear that. I debated this for a long time.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:01 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Looks great! I just went through this debate when I did the bumperette delete a few months ago. I finally decided not to remove the washers but now I wish I had.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

I Just removed the squirters.
Love it. cleaner.
Great pictures. Love to see more of your work.

Kevin
Old 12-21-2013, 08:18 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks. Ill put more pics up as I start putting it back together. Since its cold and it is stuck in the garage, Im probably going to do a few more things to it. I get bored easily and this is a good time to work on it and spend some quality time with my daughters. Here is another small project I did. It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html
Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thought I would add a quick update. No pictures yet though. Anyway, I decided to do a few more things while it was up in the air and w/o wheels and bumpercovers.

First, I decided to drop the exhaust and do an SAI cleanout and replacement of associated parts. I figured while it was up I might as well do it.

Second, I pulled off all the brake rotors and am having them zinc and clear plated. Basically, this keeps the hats looking nice as well as the outer part of the rotor. Ill post pics when I get them back.

Third, The blue vinyl interior was driving me nuts. It is in awesome condition but just the vinyl dash looks cheap to me. I decided to have it covered in matching blue leather. Since Im doing that, I also decided to do the lower dash, front and rear door tops, flat part main door panel (black like C2S), door pulls, lower door pockets, console and the e brake tray. Also going to do the rear door panels and rear center panel as soon as I save up more $.

My car is midnight blue inside. The panel by the radio etc is black but the rest is blue. I contemplated doing the upper and lower dash black, door tops black, the flat part of the door panels in black (since it flows from the center dash) and the door pulls, door panel insert and lower pockets in blue. Would also have done black console. It would be similar to this but with black main door panel. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-should-i.html
As much as I think black would look nice, I hate to change it that far from stock so that when Opo buys it sometime down the road it is fairly correct and original.

I am having Classic 9 leathershop (no affiliated) do it all with exact stock seam locations etc. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. All the leather will be at Classic 9 later this week and Ill post pics when I get the pieces. That said, I'm still not 100% committed on which route to go but leaning towards original.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

All this tease and no photos? WTF?!

I had midnight blue interior in my C4S and have contemplated many times about adding a little black. I liked the blue a lot, but the vinyl looked cheap. More so than on a black car. Yet I never pulled the trigger.

But since it's your money and not mine I think your car would look great with black dash, black steering wheel (mine came w. a blue 4-spoker, PO put a black 3-spoker), black door top trim and the flat parts of the door panels.

And don't worry, Opo will buy it anyway.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry for no pics Ilko. All I could show is an interior missing allot of stuff. I do have black 3 spoke CPZ wheel and leather airbag, black/Alum/CF OEM E brake and shifter. I am not far from switching to the black dash since the door panels could be a nice mix of both and the black would flow down the doors. I would prolly do the console in black if I did that. The A pillar material is blue and not sure how that would look with the black.

A friend came over Sunday with a 14k mile perfect red/gray 993 TT and his dash and upper door tops, headliner and rear panel are all black with the complete doors in gray (except the tops). It looks pretty good except the main flat door panel looks a bit out of place where it meets the radio section of the black on the dash. I just wonder if I changed the blue to black would the car be less desirable if/when I sell it. Yes I know its my car and do what I want but I don't want to bastardize it. Dammit....Im back on the top of the fence.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

Bastardize, shmastardize. I would convert to black. It just looks better than blue, IMO. Unless you are keeping it 100% stock, I would not stress about upgrading the interior, especially if you are changing from vinyl to leather. There are many examples of cars that have had their interiors redone and it did not hurt resale significantly, if at all. The next owner would likely appreciate the change.

-- The Contrarian
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I saw a 993 being parted out on Ebay a few days ago, I think it had a lighter interior. If you're worried about originality I bet you could pick up a lot of interior pieces off that car and have them dyed black or reupholstered.

And if you don't like the end result you could still sell them and have a wide audience. Black is king when it comes to interiors for these cars.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:59 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree about black being king I just don't want it to look too mismatched with blue carpet, seats, headliner, lower door panels, door pulls, A and B pillars, etc. and black dash, flat door panel part and console. Either way it will be black and some blue. Not going all black.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Oh and just re-read you statement about blending....
Maybe some other experts can weigh in with contrary advise, but I was told by a reputable source in the industry "you cannot blend anything but lacquer". Today's paints need a minimum film thickness for the UV protectors to work properly. Anything under the minimum and it will degrade over time leaving a halo or flaking off....

I guess body shops still promote the practice to get/keep business. but the paint manufactures will not support it. You need to paint all the way back to an edge.
That is what my body shop guy told me when I wanted to touch up rear fender stone chips.

I have the GT3Tek washer filler holes, but have never painted or installed them

Quick Reply: To headlight washer delete or not...that is the question...