993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: E39 M5

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tanger
The RS4 I find to be a funner car, given that it is much more revvy (same engine as in the R8, redlines at 8k) and it is smaller. Also the Quattro makes it more useful for ski trips or inclement weather.

Which one would I sell first? Probably the M5 but not an easy decision. I may put them both up for sale and see which goes first.
Would love the Dinan S3, but that would be a bit out of the price range I am looking at I think...
Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Thanks all for the info! It sounds like the best bet is similar to the 993--look for a little more miles with good maintenance history. Seeing prices creep down makes the thought of keeping the 993 easier too. Will continue looking around and see about picking one up this winter I think.
One advantage of the M5 over something like an RS4 is the potential to buy a cheap one. I like the RS4 a lot but knew I didn't want to spend $30K plus on a sedan. I got a nice deal on my car - 126K miles at purchase for less than $10K. I was originally set to by a 540i, but the M5 is much nicer for not much more $$$.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Would love the Dinan S3, but that would be a bit out of the price range I am looking at I think...
What is your price range? How many people do you need to fit in the car? I'm sure that us Rennlisters could help you spend your money and pick the right car for you. I'm guessing budget is around $20k and you need to haul 4-5 people based on your original E39 M5 query.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JM993
One advantage of the M5 over something like an RS4 is the potential to buy a cheap one. I like the RS4 a lot but knew I didn't want to spend $30K plus on a sedan. I got a nice deal on my car - 126K miles at purchase for less than $10K. I was originally set to by a 540i, but the M5 is much nicer for not much more $$$.
Sure, the gap between the E39 540i and M5 has narrowed recently but I bought my '98 540 for $13k in '07 when '00 M5s were going for around $30k+ .
Old 11-08-2013, 05:32 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head says 528i, but heart says M5. If I have to have full size sedan, that will be the one for me also. Just get the updated ones with much nicer navigation and alu trim. Bonus if you can find one with the deleted spoiler strip.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Look at my signature and you'll see Ive owned some fun cars. I also have a 991 GT3 on order.

That said the e39M5 is hands down one of teh best cars full stop I have ever owned and a dream daily driver. Infact I loved it so much I bought the same bar twice (i.e. I bought it back form the guy I sold it to). After 5 years of total ownership and around 25,000 miles I still loved that car right up to the point I sold it 6 weeks ago and I know I will miss it. Heck if I had the space Id own it still.

Dont get hung up on on reading the forums. I had no Vanos issues (although I confess I know some that have), I did need to replace the MAFs at 65000 miles, not but deal five minute job. They are a heavy car and at this age could really do with having replacement Bilstein coil-overs fitted and new shock tops, sway bar drop links and bushes. I would put aside 3-5K to do the suspension properly. They will not let you down though, they are very comfortable cars, great gobs of torque, handles and feels like an M3 when driving it, has serious cred with car nuts, relatively scarce, manual box, solid build and they are cheap to buy (what you save in depreciation you will spend on increased running costs, tyres and fuel on an older car like this).

Life short. Do it. if you don't like it youll flip it without loosing any coin...i you dont buy youll never know...
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Perfectly said...

Originally Posted by Macca
Dont get hung up on on reading the forums. I had no Vanos issues (although I confess I know some that have), I did need to replace the MAFs at 65000 miles, not but deal five minute job. They are a heavy car and at this age could really do with having replacement Bilstein coil-overs fitted and new shock tops, sway bar drop links and bushes. I would put aside 3-5K to do the suspension properly. They will not let you down though, they are very comfortable cars, great gobs of torque, handles and feels like an M3 when driving it, has serious cred with car nuts, relatively scarce, manual box, solid build and they are cheap to buy (what you save in depreciation you will spend on increased running costs, tyres and fuel on an older car like this).

Life short. Do it. if you don't like it youll flip it without loosing any coin...i you dont buy youll never know...
Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tanger
The RS4 I find to be a funner car, given that it is much more revvy (same engine as in the R8, redlines at 8k) and it is smaller. Also the Quattro makes it more useful for ski trips or inclement weather.

Which one would I sell first? Probably the M5 but not an easy decision. I may put them both up for sale and see which goes first.

Originally Posted by JM993
Tanger,

Curious about your perspective of the RS4 vs the E39 M5 since you own both. Given that a manual is mandatory for me, the RS4 is the only potential substitute for the M5.

Cheers
Joe
Agree...snow days were tough in my RWD E39.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Originally Posted by badabing
Agree...snow days were tough in my RWD E39.
Put snow tires on and it's perfectly capable. No, it's not AWD, but it's entirely fine.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van1
What is your price range? How many people do you need to fit in the car? I'm sure that us Rennlisters could help you spend your money and pick the right car for you. I'm guessing budget is around $20k and you need to haul 4-5 people based on your original E39 M5 query.
Ideally it will be under $25k. Need to be able to haul 5 when needed. For the normal needs we use the Exploder, but there are times when the additional family hauler is needed.

In all honestly, the 528 would suffice just fine--heck a used Fusion would work for that matter and be a lot cheaper. But having always had a thing for that generation M5, the draw is there. Good thing is there is no hurry, but it is fun to shop around, and want to have my research done when the time comes.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:43 AM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I know it's common sense but PPI by an independent shop is critical. Someone who really knows these cars and what to look for.

About a year ago I though I found the perfect M. One owner, female owned, low miles, complete service history. All work done by dealer. This chick took the car to the dealer for anything and every little thing. Air in tires, top off oil, you name it. Had it detailed by them at least twice a year if not more.

Sent it to an independent for a PPI. Car was so bad they stopped halfway through and charged me half. Send me pictures of the transmission housing which had cracked into several pieces and was crudely welded back together. We called it "Frankentrans".

I asked him how that could happen. His best guess was it was used as a stunt car in Gone in 60 Seconds.

There was host of other problems too.

He told me to run. I did.

Best $150 I ever spent.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I tend to drive cars that reduce the amount I miss the 993 when I'm not in it. The M5 is one of those cars. I bought my 2003 in 2005 with 38k miles. I now have 139k miles. I'm also a M5board member. The M5 was my 5th BMW; I recently bought a 2013 X3 35i for number 6. The e39 M5 is the best bimmer I've owned. If it wasn't it would be gone by now.

Overall maintenance has been substantially less than either of the 7 series V8's I owned. No cooling system valley pan rusting even though it's a V8 as well. Changed the suspension to Bilstein PSS at 130k miles and recently changed all the cam position sensors even though it wasn't throwing codes. Changed MAFs at 100k miles. Still on the original clutch at 139k miles and I don't baby the car. Overall very reliable if they're maintained. I drove year round until last year when an X3 took over the duty. I just kept an extra set of Dunlop Wintersport M3's on separate rims and used them December through April.

I'd look for a 2003 model (last year for e39) with full maintenance records; preferably owned by a BMWCCA or board member; these guys seem to be more passionate about maintenance. Just my opinion.

I've attached a link below where several members discuss long term M5 reliability.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ml#post1671747

Recent photo of my M5 and replacement winter driver X3.

Last edited by autobonrun; 12-24-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:16 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ever thought about an Audi? If you're not looking to spend alot you might consider an A6 C5 2.7T with a 6-speed. I've got an '04 A6 C5 4.2, but it's got a Tip (didn't make a 6-speed with the V8). I've been very pleased with it, had it 8 years. Lots of power. Quattro AWD, well-made and safe - good stuff when you're hauling the family around. You could also go newer into the A6 C6 series and likely still stay under your budget - not as well-styled as the C5 series but still good cars.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:56 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 535 Posts
Default M5

A fantastic car........

I had a 2000 M5 for about 20,000 miles buying it with 40,000 on the clock......it is like a 993......very hard to part with once you have one........cost to maintain it was not bad....several things to watch when purchasing, which have been noted:

1) MAFs
2) Instrument cluster pixels faulty - about a $ 1,000 to replace the entire cluster, but that is the same on most older BMWs
3) If it has the aluminum trimmed interior, the aluminum will discolor....was replaced on warranty for me.....another grand.....
4) Clutch plate is undersized for the power and can slip even when it is in good shape...... therefore you can go through clutches pretty fast if you run the car as it was meant to be driven.....I had no issues but heard people did with spirited driving.......
5) Had a set of snow tires for this car, as the power is too much for sport tires in the snow....

Overall great value for the prices they are going for these days.........an absolute beast of a car..........so much fun to drive with the 6 speed.........very fast.....
Old 11-10-2013, 10:55 PM
cloud993
Intermediate

I had an E34 M5 and loved it. Lots of character, great engine.

Not the same car, so here's some notes on the ///M ownership experience: totally worth it over standard BMW models. ITB's are cool. Maintenance intervals and reliability are about the same as the non-M counterpart. Some of the parts for the M5 will be M-specific, and are pricey (2-3x standard BMW part). Others will be shared with other 5'er models and will be reasonable.

Quick Reply: OT: E39 M5