Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Storage Lift question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:09 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

If you can dictate ceiling height go 14". I am able to have a two post lift and on the other bay use a four post and store any of my cars and still have plent of room for lights and fans, which some forget to factor in.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ard
Question for RL'ers who have a garage lift system in their house.

I am in the early stages of designing a garage (attached to a house on a residential property). I want to have a garage lift to store my 993 on the lift and (ideally) park an SUV underneath. If an SUV is too tall, I can park a wagon in its place under the lift.
  1. Doable (i.e. doable with the intention of parking an SUV under the lift) using garage lift systems sold for non-commerical use?
  2. Approximate specs for garage ceiling height and garage door height, or a formula to determine them?
  3. Specs for the flooring? Is "standard house foundation" concrete good enough or do I need to spec "uprated" concrete?
  4. Are the storage lifts RL'ers use "drive-on" types (as opposed to the pivoting arm types used at shops)?
  5. Approximate cost for a quality lift system and installation?
If you just want storage, I recommend single post lift. It eliminates poles in the center and makes pulling no different than any other garage (makes it easy for my wife).

My lift is well over 7 ft up, any normal SUV will fit under. We did do a double height garage, so ceiling height was not an issue for us. Pics here

We had the lift company talk to contractor. No special concrete was required. Only thing I would do different now is design a pit in concrete for footer.

Dont remember cost, but it was circa $5k. We have a small lot and had no place to go but up for third spot, so it was worth it to me.

Last edited by Asquared; 11-11-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Jake G
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned my Direct Lift 4 post lift for five years now. No complaints at all and they are on the low dollar side. I think mine was $1800 delivered in Wa. State. By far the best investment for my garage. I would disagree that it is only good for oil changes and storage, although it does those great. I also use it for cleaning and waxing. I have done multiple engine swaps with the car on the hoist. You can use the mentioned jacks or get the tall transmission style tripod jacks that allow you to take wheels and tires off and then you have the best of both worlds. I think a paid $75.00 ea. for the jacks from Harbor Freight.

Jake
Old 11-25-2013, 03:13 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

here is a pic of my car on a 4 post drive on lift with the optional air/hydraulic jacks.

the job of the day was to change oil, trans fluid, front diff fluid, and swap to fister mufflers.

The only thing the ramps made difficult was opening and draining the oil tank. Used the jacks to lift up the rear end higher and slid a 3 gal bucket on the ramp under the car.

also was kind of a PITA to keep ducking under the ramps every time to grab a tool etc. Otherwise, very handy

Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a short column 2 post lift with our two track cars parked in a single stall:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Garage Storage Lift question