Sponsored by:

For moderators attention

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:33 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

And once more, for good measure - I'm not sure how or why this turned into discussion of paid vs. unpaid membership. This was never an intention of the original post and, honestly, each one of us makes decisions on this every one or two years. Each of those decisions are personal, private and... correct, no matte what they are.

Personally, this is the only forum that I ever paid for. Why? I have no idea. It's a good place with very good people, I've learned that over the last 10 years. The point of self-policing and this particular thread was to keep it this way. Maybe an overreaction on my part, it's not the first, nor, I'm sure, the last one. It's just that the shill's behavior was egregious enough in this case.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 AM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
All in all I'm disappointed by some of you. NOBODY thinks to report a post and trust me NOBODY reported it.
You'll have to forgive, I didn't think to report the post for some reason. I suppose there is a part of me who relies on the more experienced and respected members and non-members to police the trolls, the nonsensical, the scammers and the like. I don't feel like I've earned my stripes here yet, so my reporting of the incident may not carry weight.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:59 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To those who ask "Why Rennlist is a Member supported site", here are a few reasons.

Members form the basis of our community. They are for the most part the best contributors to the site. As frequent users they've established friendships with others all across the globe. There are very few Member to Member transactions that go bad.

To those that complain about IB -- I admit to being baffled. John D stipulated that the character of Rennlist not be changed under the new owners. IB has respected that.

Someone mentioned 6speedonline, that's another site owned by IB if you didn't know. Check out the ads over there if you want to see what a free site looks like! Yeah, there are a few ads here but nothing like the other sites. That's in part why so many of us are happy to pay 17.95 a year. If banners bother you, turn on the popup blocker in every web browser available. I never see them myself.

All in all I'm disappointed by some of you. NOBODY thinks to report a post and trust me NOBODY reported it. Then we start a thread which turns into a rant bashing IB. Amazing.

The Mod for this forum is none other than John D himself. As many of you know, he's got a lot going and can't spend all his time here. I'll add a mod or two to hopefully prevent our peaceful forum from being polluted again.

In the meantime go see 6spd and see for yourself why Member supported is better.

Best,
Well done, Bob. THIS is why I pay.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 275 Posts

There's far more drama on this site than there are ads.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
There's far more drama on this site than there are ads.
Entertainment Value
Old 11-07-2013, 11:21 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
Well done, Bob.
I'll second the motion.
With me it's not the ads, but the spam behind it. I have my systems set up to ask me what to do with cookies every time. It has helped me keep my PC's clean for a long time with out the need for fancy Norton and Macefie (sp?) programs taking up space.

It took me a half dozen clicks of "deny" just to write this post and its non stop. Companies have to make money, granted. And I agree IB has not changed to drastically the layout etc of the site. But I'm not interested in paying to be attacked by the advertisers and Lord only knows who behind them through their cookies.

But Bob's post was well said.....

**Edit: i would also like to add that when I go over to Pelican's forum, they too have a banner ad atop their page but I don't get hammered with cookies! And there is no paying to be a member there, so......? Just saying............

Last edited by 993inNC; 11-07-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Dr. No, I looked at the logs and nobody hit the report post button. A lot of trouble would have been saved had someone clicked on the red card under the avatar in the offending post.

Thanks,
Bob, sent you a PM on this.

Quick Reply: For moderators attention