Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For moderators attention

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I saw that on the plane today, and was fired up to post a reply after seeing his reply to "Mr Ilko", only to see it closed. I figured the OP may have closed it.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarrera993
I've said it before, non paying members should have read only access as is the case with many successful forums.
Really...............?
I paid for many years and even ran a little business with John D's blessing for a few years. Now based on principle, I don't care to pay IB for adds and cookies and spam, but I shouldn't be allowed to contribute anymore? What forums are you on that are successful with "read only"? I do miss the "member only" for sale ads, but that doesn't trump the crap that IB attempts to allow on our systems.........I'm not paying for crap. Period. I paid when John needed the support, these IB guys aren't getting my funds.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:34 AM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Really...............?
I paid for many years and even ran a little business with John D's blessing for a few years. Now based on principle, I don't care to pay IB for adds and cookies and spam, but I shouldn't be allowed to contribute anymore? What forums are you on that are successful with "read only"? I do miss the "member only" for sale ads, but that doesn't trump the crap that IB attempts to allow on our systems.........I'm not paying for crap. Period. I paid when John needed the support, these IB guys aren't getting my funds.

+1

This place would be a lot poorer if only members could post
Non members still read and click on the ads and buy from the advertisers
As well as contributing to the forum with their knowledge and opinions

There are lots of reasons why people don't become members

As the op states it just needs moderating better to prevent people just coming on hhere to peddle their own companies and then start abusing and threatening to sue people because they posted their bad first hand experience of having dealings with said company
Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Mr Ilko laughed when he saw the thread was locked.

Mr Moderator might want to look at Mr necro thread bumper's antics.

For the record, back in 09 I helped import and export a few cars. It was easier to do as a company vs an individual so I created one. It's been defunct now for a few years since I've been busy w my day job.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

That loud silence you hear is IB once again ignoring the valid concerns of its subscribers. This isn't the only IB forum with these concerns, but IB's nonresponsiveness is consistent across all of them. If there was a vomiting emoticon, I'd put it here.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, close monitoring by moderators is a better option. Without it allowing non members to post opens up for anonymous users to post what they want without being held accountable. They can easily open another account and continue on. I started out as a non member and didn't post on a thread until I coughed up the coin.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Really...............?
So, here's the question I have: How many more flashing adds, banners, pop-ups, screen crawls, etc, would we have without a paid membership. I've seen some other car forums that look like CNBC with all of the peripheral crap going around what you are trying to read.

Also, paid membership prevents the place from becoming the 993 or ? craigslist of car parts for sale. We get enough dropping by here to unload their unwanted stuff as it is.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by aracer
Mr. Techman:

Thank you for your questions. The slanderous comment came within the post he referenced. There too he made comment about our establishment and its ethical codes of conduct. Anyone with REAL dealing with us over the past 47 years knows we shoot straight. We have and will continue to be the most honest and professional outfit in NY. Being the largest by volume and oldest exclusive to Porsche service center in the Northeast we do understand smaller less known companies taking a shot at us. However it must be firsthand and truthful as I am sure you would agree. Far too often we are seeing (not with our own company) but with colleagues comments being made that are simply untrue. One must ask why do these people make false comments. One reason may be competition another may just be the fact that in ordinary life you must answer for your actions face to face and here you can sit behind a screen. In 15 years this thread that was referenced is the ONLY negative comment we have had. The worse part is frankly is that it is untrue. I find it frankly unfair that people can make comments that are untrue and slanderous. Just by the fashion you put your comment in shows you are an intelligent and moral person. We do welcome all comments of course as it is the only way to make a business better. But they must be true to the facts. Again I thank you for your question.
Back on topic. Although Formula Motorsports has some good reviews, the truth is that there is, in fact, at least one negative review that was posted on Yelp (and filtered by Yelp):

Originally Posted by Sal K (on Yelp)
I'm extremely disappointed with the service I received from Formula Motorsports and Mark Tashijan personally. Base on information posted on their website regarding the body and paint work that they provide .I brought my car for repaint of rear bumper, and right quarter panel (no body work) I was told that in order to get best results they would need to paint right door as well.
After getting my car back I notice that the new paint color did not matched to existing paint of my car. Went to four different auto body shops and they all conform that the new color was off...
Went back to Formula Motorsports and ask Mark Tashijan if he could correct his work, as to what he simply told me that my car looks good to him and he will not repaint it. After paying Formula Motorsports almost $2500 I had to take my car to a different shop where they corrected his work and I paid for it again. Never in my life had I come across such an irresponsible auto service shop. Part of being a great shop is standing behind the service you provide, probably this is one reason they are not a port of BBB..
http://www.yelp.com/filtered_reviews...oL3jC28njbAfhA
http://www.yelp.com/biz/formula-moto...ng-island-city
Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

eh, if you get offended by this kinda stuff (and I'm sure ilko didn't), you may need thicker skin. Internet threats of legal action (especially when they make no sense) are more fun to laugh at than anything else.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarrera993
I agree, close monitoring by moderators is a better option. Without it allowing non members to post opens up for anonymous users to post what they want without being held accountable. They can easily open another account and continue on. I started out as a non member and didn't post on a thread until I coughed up the coin.
Whilst a sensible idea, in practice all it will do is penalize the 99% of genuine non members to fix an issue with the 1% of bad non members

Better moderating and ip blocking and other actions is a far better solution to dealing with idiots and trolls

And far cheaper than blocking thousands of advert reading non members, which is probably the main reason ib bought the site, for the advertising revenue, not for the 17 $ membership fees or the kindness of their hearts
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 426 Posts

Every forum I visit (about a half dozen) has active moderators to filter/police the ****e that occasionally pollutes a board, whether it be a blatant shill or unruly users. For whatever reasons, it appears the moderators here are not as active or vigilant as some would like here. A civil discussion board is not a function of paying vs non-paying users, but more based on the character of the community and its users, with a pinch of reasonable moderation added in.

Let's not make it a discussion of us vs. them, paying vs non-paying. It smacks of elitism, of which I don't want any part of. For those that are sick of the pop-up ads, simply block them in your browser. Simple solution.

And finally, Ilko never ceases to amaze me with his skills, resume, and ingenuity. Well, done.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Mr Ilko laughed when he saw the thread was locked.

Mr Moderator might want to look at Mr necro thread bumper's antics.

For the record, back in 09 I helped import and export a few cars. It was easier to do as a company vs an individual so I created one. It's been defunct now for a few years since I've been busy w my day job.
The defensive and threatening posture of the poster actually did more harm than good for the poster's business in my view. He or she could have taken the high road, given an explanation of the situation that was linked by Ilko, admitted that they made a mistake and said they're not perfect. Instead they threaten legal action, dig up what they believe is dirt on someone and throw around legal terms.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

I like to support small businesses and local businesses. Does 100% of our membership fee go to IBA? Or does some go to the guys doing all the work of maintaining this site?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

All these posts. Nobody thought to. use the reportt post button? More when I get to a. PC.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
All these posts. Nobody thought to. use the reportt post button? More when I get to a. PC.
Yes, someone did.

Quick Reply: For moderators attention