Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aaaghhh - Targa Top Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is no. See this threadl for a picture of what 993 562 563 00 looks like.

Looking at 811-02, I think the part you've labelled 'Gate' is item 17, 993 562 713 00, but I'm uncertain. The plastic bushing (if that's what it is) isn't shown separately as far as I can tell.

Wonder if it would be worth writing or calling Webasto? http://www.webasto-group.com/int/

Let us know what you find out - thanks & hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:58 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

tim, thanks for the input. anybody else able to shed any light on what the sliding pieces are?

my local indie have sent the pic to their dealer in germany so that may help.

if not i will email webasto.

if that fails then its either a long haul trying to find a needle in a haystack or figuring out how to make something.

wonder if something could be made with one of the 3d printers?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Knowing Porsche you likely have to buy a whole new kit.

How bad is the piece on your roof? Totally worn out?

I do not know about printing it out and the longevity of the materials used in 3D printers. Interesting idea though.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-24-2013, 01:56 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Mike
Thanks for the reply. I have one that is pretty shot and one that is missing altogether. Its just something you cannot see or predict till you strip it completely. Without it or something to replace it, the system will just not work as one side will rattle around too much. Any thoughts on what I could use to replace it or make one from. I am even thinking of seeing if I can get someone to mould one from using an original as a template but thats like a very costly option. Do you know if they are even in one of the kits? I would hate to speend hundreds of USD on a kit just for 2 pieces of plastic.
Regards
Old 11-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Have you talked to Bob @ Sunset yet? He might know the parts breakdown.

I was lucky, after fooling with my roof, I had some rust issues, and managed to get Porsche to give me an entire new roof under warranty - signed off on the day the rust warranty expired. So I had an essentially new roof to work from.

Two guys who have been there are Amfab and mgianzero -> I would PM them, see if they are wiling to help.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-24-2013, 04:00 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry man.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:03 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I am aware of the sliding pieces. I don't know the part numbers off hand. Let me see what I can find out.

Regarding the tracks, you should vacuum out all metal shavings. Then clean with a slightly damped cloth (cloth with low dust) with WD-40. Then dry as best you can. Then spray down the inside of tracks with wet silicone spray. Afterwards, try sliding one of those track pieces with its sleeve in the track. It should glide fairly smoothly. If it binds, it may be do to dirt or any residue glue / butyl sealant in the tracks. If it still binds, then there is concern that something is bent or a burr somewhere from a binding top.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:46 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

mike
thanks, i pm'd marc and he is trying to help. i also tried to pm amfab but his inbox was full.

marc
thanks for trying to help.

much appreciated to both of you, would have been much harder without this forum and folks like you who share their experiences.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:41 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Default Picture update

As a quick update - the car is now at the local Indie for stripping and respray. Sticking with turquoise blue as the plan is to keep it as stock as possible.
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Boy, that looks like a lot of work!

Did you find any rust/corrosion on the roof itself? There are two spots that I think the roof has a weakness for rust:

- the bottom rail of the rear window - it looks like your window is out of the roof - my car had major rust in this area, enough to delaminate the window from the metal, hence the roof was totally replaced under rust warranty. I think this has to do with water sitting in the drain groove between the roof and the body, and the warmth/heat of the engine

- the front of the rails where they contact the rubber gasket at the window frame. Any water that seeps in there seems to sit, and the front of the rails were not well protected from corrosion. There are a few delicate parts in there.

I would ask my body guy to pay special attention to these areas, and then when its all buttoned up, you will be good.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

hi mike. it is a big job. i opted for a full exterior respray with all panels removed, all glass out and all seals and trim to be replaced as they are completely shot after 17 years in the desert. the front seal has already been removed - no rust there. there is rust bottom rh corner under the rear screen which we beleive put it under tension for maybe quite a long time which is why it shattered so easily.

i dont really understand why there is rust as it probably rains 5 days a year however the drain channels were solid with grease and sand as was most of the tracks. somebody clearly tried to it in botch it in the past.

still dont have the sliding bits but still chasing them throug a couple routes - porsche arent really helping - they just say the parts are in the kits which they arent as there are 3 types and i bought 2! they need to talk to webasto, i tried but they said talk to porsche!

ive got all the guides back in the tracks and it all moves etc with one plastic piece missing from the wind deflector so if i have no luck i will reassemble it all after the respray and use it sparingly - i am missing the best driving weather here and booked on a uae porsche club event at end feb so it has to be finished

as we say in the uk - in for a penny in for a pound or maybe hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I wonder if you can fabricate that sliding piece from a piece of polyethylene ?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

quite possibly - going to see what i can find over the nxt few weeks as well as keep chasing folk.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Roger,

Sorry to hear that Porsche is really NOT helping with locating the worn parts. So, my understanding is that you have two of the three "kits" and they're not in any of them. Yes, that was my understanding too. When I pulled my tracks apart I noticed the same wear shoes that you are showing in the pic and didn't seem to be able to locate them thru Porsche - so I cleaned them up and reused them.

This is really frustrating that Porsche doesn't even know what parts belong where and, apparently, do not seem to remanufacture the "wearable" parts for these tops. That's one of the reasons why I invested in a 3D scanner. Hope I can scan some of these hard-to-find plastic parts and have them printed somewhere.

If you have any more pictures of points of interest (like the rust areas Mike talks about) I'd love to see them. Like I said before, I did NOT remove the top from my car, I just took the tracks out while leaving the top on so I can't picture the areas of concern very well.

I do agree with you that these tracks really do best when they are routinely maintained by keeping them clean - do NOT use any grease-like products or soaps. Instead, just wipe down with damp cloth and spray with wet silicone. I am sure that's why your drain lines got clogged the way they did. Also, put some butyl tape inside the tracks to seal any cracks and help to direct the water thru the drain lines. But be careful not to occlude these drain lines with butyl tape or pinching the hose. You should have good access now that your rear glass is out.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see this.

Beautiful color combo, this car should be sent to 9M for speedster work. Once they have the targa top unbolted it should be set on fire and buried.

Quick Reply: Aaaghhh - Targa Top Disaster