Sponsored by:

Aaaghhh - Targa Top Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 171 Posts

So good luck than, if you need help, just give me a call

Great road, didn't heard about it's new pavement, but will go there as soon as possible!!

Was up there often years ago, driving the Wadi Bie road to Dibba, also fantastic but of course off-road. Unfortunately they closed the UAE checkpoint so you can now reach it only from Dibba and you have to return, no entry to the Oman - Musandam trail.

btw. link doesnt work, hope this one will do

http://www.motoringme.com/features/w...mountain-road/
Old 11-04-2013, 11:15 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holger

Looking good out on the circuit.

When I get the time I will post some pics of my track fun back in the UK.

Hopefully we will have the parts for the kart soon so will be out at the autodrome so will give you a shout then.

I may well take you up on the offer of help as i need to get the mechanism stripped and back in before the window arrives. I will be working on it Friday morning before we go to watch the F1 parade thru dubai in the afternoon followed by beer (on me of course if you fancy it) and food afterwards with some friends who have a porsche back in the uk or maybe most of saturday which could well be followed by beer and barbeque (again on me of course) at my place?

I need to get it fixed asap to make the most of the winter weather and another drive to RAK. We found one good looking road but it said military, keep out - so we kept out - a turqoise blue 993 targa would hardly go unnoticed!

Here some pics of the tracks if anybody has comments / suggestions other than bin it and weld it shut ha ha.

Sorry for the quality. Pic 1 shows some metail filings in there, pic 2 shows what I think is the deflector raising device in completely the wrong place based on where it is in pic 3. Lots of grease, dust, sand and silicon in there - no wonder it does not work!!!

I am ignoring the sunblind for now and concentrating on the glass.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 2oldn2slow; 11-24-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:21 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

mike, colin - any input appreciated - i kind of understand the system after reading all the posts etc but anything is a help.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the new 993 Bentley manual have a good section on R&R'ing the targa top?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

2old -

Sorry to see the damage. Love the color combo. Hope you get it back together soon...

Q, could you describe the process of removing the external trim strips? I'm considering doing this and removing the sliding glass in order to replace the seal around the perimeter of the sliding glass.

Thanks!
Tim
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

It's quite hard to remove the external strips if they are original because they really get brittle, and thus break. I have not had much luck removing them intact, so I would budget to buy new ones...

When you put the new ones in, use lube!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:11 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Tim
The plastic strip broke as soon as I tried to very gently move it out of the way. New ones on order.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:12 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

so, i am moving forwrds and studying all the bits and pieces of the mechanism. one of the rear axle plates is a porsche part with the sleeve and pin. the one for the other side is the worst bit of home machining i have ever seen. i need to replace them. i bought the repair kit which has the plastic gate guides so, do i need to buy the new style axle plates that fit both sides or the old ones. these are ridiculously expensive so would really appreciate some input.
thanks in advance !!!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 2oldn2slow
so, i am moving forwrds and studying all the bits and pieces of the mechanism. one of the rear axle plates is a porsche part with the sleeve and pin. the one for the other side is the worst bit of home machining i have ever seen. i need to replace them. i bought the repair kit which has the plastic gate guides so, do i need to buy the new style axle plates that fit both sides or the old ones. these are ridiculously expensive so would really appreciate some input.
thanks in advance !!!
That sure brings back memories! I broke an axle plate once, the price from Porsche was nuts, so I had some custom cast and machined out the axle shaft bushing. The original plate is quite weak, and seem to break fairly easily. The new plates never gave me a problem. Someone may have hacked out something. What is the latest price for them? I seem to remember it was around $200+ each - my memory is not that great.

Cheers

Mike
Old 11-05-2013, 02:04 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

$300 ish each. as i have the newer rear gate guides i will go with the newer axle plates.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 171 Posts

Roger,
Again Thursday morning is Trackmorning (somebody has to clear the dust for Fridays Races...) and Friday is 'National Race Day'. They placed some track time between the races, so most likely i will be at the Autodrome. But i will come back to you on the Saturday beer!
So have some more 'hair-pulling' evenings and enjoy Fridays show!!
Old 11-05-2013, 02:15 PM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

cheers holger. think i am understanding it now or maybe realising the roof was designed by crazy folk. will place an order thru arm tomorrow for more parts i need.

the paint is in a mess round tbhe seals an the roof so full respray on the cards next summer

enjoy thursday/friday
Old 11-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ouch!!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:10 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

ouch indeed but i was looking at a full respray next year anyways so hey ho - at least when i am done i will have a much better understanding of the car and one that is in far better condition than when i started - even if my pocket is empty.

ordered the axle plates today, will order a new front seal tomorrow then that should be it.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Question Advice needed - targa top disaster

Hoping somebody can help me out there.

Moving on with the targa roof build, cleaned the tracks and all the bits, bought the repair kits and got it all figured out how it works and goes together and now I am ready to rebuild it and reassemble into the car then it goes for the rear window fitting and I am ready to go!

Except, aaaghhh! - I need the sliding piece highlighted in the picture below and it did not come in any of the repair kits and I cannot identify it on the PET. Can anyone tell me what this part number is - is it 993-562-563-00, item 7 on 811-01.

Also, a question for those who have rebuilt their Targa roofs - when I slide the new mechanism into the tracks they go slightly tight at some points and need a reasonable push to move them along - are they supposed to be free sliding all the way or did yours experience tight spots?

Thanks for the help and thanks to pcarworkshop where I 'borrowed' the picture from.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Aaaghhh - Targa Top Disaster