Sponsored by:

One more is not too many

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile One more is not too many

Seeing how the market is going for the 993, I felt like I should pick another one up before Rudy gets all of them

This isn't my first 993 so I know more or less what I need to look for. I saw the posting at night in the middle of the week. Knowing it'll be gone if I acted any slower, I dropped everything and booked a flight and went for it. I got to the dealer in the morning. While I don't know if they are dramatically acting or not and saying there are 5 buyers on the phone waiting, meanwhile I was the first one physically there. With the market these days though, I would not be surprised if those callers were real. I think we can count on one hand how many super high mileage "affordable" C2S transactions there are in recent years. So considering the rarity and the price it was, one owner, a receipt of engine rebuild and other works, decent cosmetic condition, I pulled the trigger on this 160k+ miles blk/classic grey C2S 6spd Manual. Altho we've all been told to do PPI and all, there really wasn't time for it with the callers on the line and dealer pressing, I doubt another high mileage C2S would show up anytime soon, I figure I could deal with whatever that comes up as the price was low enough and it is a driver condition car afterall so what difference would it make if it had repainted bumper or whatever. As long as the engine seemed healthy, that's all I really cared about.

Not that many option on this one. From the option sticker, only notable ones are hollowspoke twists and motorsound pkg. After double checking the rims, they turned out to be just regular solid twist ( but chromed ) Can't wait till I can get rid of these and switch into some speedlines ( anyone wanna let go of/trade your speedlines ? RH, RS, veloce ? )

It seems mainly stock. There's a gemballa strut in front. Not sure how good these are as I couldn't find anyone else on here using it. I'm sure it helps the front more or less though.

Meanwhile, as I was flipping through the receipt, I found the previous owner had installed RS Cam. Now that's interesting as it wasn't cheap, but what does that do? Doesn't it also need something else to really make RS Cam worth it ( intake valve or something, forgot what i read)?

The shocks are definitely gone. The dealer tried to argue it is perfectly fine but we all know that it isn't right when you can see some rust on the suspension and the car floats like a Lincoln towncar. Probably looking at putting HD/mo33 on. I really want to attempt to install it myself this time so I might need some guidance from you guys when the time comes (i know there's the p-car.com guide but if anyone is local would like to help, that would be awesome!!)

Definite need:
rims
suspension
fixing up the paint

Eventual potential slippery slope list:
paint calipers (suggestion? riv blue? red? yellow?viper green? orange?)
interior swap from classic grey to some other color?
fister ssk / golden rod
tie rod pinning
rs engine mount
mufflers/ oval tip

here are some obligatory pics

Last edited by Halcyon; 04-07-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

way to jump right in. You didn't say...but I'm thinking 6 speed manual?

Sounds from your descriptiuon that you got a decent deal on the car, so congrats. Consider mixing up the interior with some black bits, to soften the grey, maybe even dye the seats balck, back mats, etc.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Lol, nice ride ! Don't worry about the miles , my c4s with 164k miles runs the same as the ones with 60-80k miles , if you are looking for some wheels , I have 3 sets of wheels that will set your car off, throw me a pm or email and I show them to you..
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Oh and can I say that the viper green calipers will get my vote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

One owner with high miles are always great finds and value.
What was the price?

Id put some hollow spokes back on her or go for Speedlines like you said.

Recaro pole positions and Fister D exhaust.

Or leave her all stock as it really is a nice find
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
way to jump right in. You didn't say...but I'm thinking 6 speed manual?

Sounds from your descriptiuon that you got a decent deal on the car, so congrats. Consider mixing up the interior with some black bits, to soften the grey, maybe even dye the seats balck, back mats, etc.
Yeap, I got a tiptronic c2 as a starter to get into the aircooled Porsche world. It sure is addicting, so this time around I got a manual .

Didn't realize I did not mention it is a 6spd, thanks for reminding ( edited now)

I'm not too sure I like any classic grey at all, so if i'm changing any interior, I'll probably end up changing it all (gradually though, unless someone just want to completely trade for a classic grey interior)

Originally Posted by Opo
Lol, nice ride ! Don't worry about the miles , my c4s with 164k miles runs the same as the ones with 60-80k miles , if you are looking for some wheels , I have 3 sets of wheels that will set your car off, throw me a pm or email and I show them to you..
You are right. Not worried about mileage at all as I remember some members on here having over like 300k miles on theirs. Got an email coming your way

Originally Posted by Opo
Oh and can I say that the viper green calipers will get my vote
That'll sure be interesting! I have yet to see one with viper green calipers! Not too sure if anywhere has viper green high temp caliper paint.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
One owner with high miles are always great finds and value.
What was the price?

Id put some hollow spokes back on her or go for Speedlines like you said.

Recaro pole positions and Fister D exhaust.

Or leave her all stock as it really is a nice find
For under $30k , can't really go wrong. It won't see track so I probably don't need Recaros, on the other hand, Fister I have Fister II on my tip right now and love them. We'll see after I get the suspension and wheels sorted out.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 474 Posts

I love high mile cars. Give it some TLC and it'll be great. A big congrats.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

viper green sounds great and everything is possible

chose your color
Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Congrats!

It seems a lot of us are doing the same thing these days . .

Best of luck!

Regards,

Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Halcyon
For under $30k , can't really go wrong. .
^^^for the win

Think you stole the car, even a 160K mile WB would easily be worth mid thirties in todays market. You done good.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nice Pickup

My vote would be Red calipers
and source a set of hollow spokes in the correct wheel silver
Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!! Great to see an enthusiast scooping up a high mileage car. I would vote for "not red" as that is very common.

There is a slight chance that RS intake valves were installed with the cams. Maybe you will run across paperwork for the rebuild.

Enjoy....

Emerald
Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 AM
1990-964
Pro

Congrats on the find! Looks really nice (except for the chrome wheels). By all means, jump in and do the suspension work. It is not so difficult that anyone with even average mechanical skills can do it. Where are you located?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:23 PM
CHRIS WU
Racer

Very nice find!!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
cmd4
Pro

Nice score especially for under 30….and a 98 to boot! I saw thought pop up last week for 32k and was wondering how long it'd stick around.

Quick Reply: One more is not too many