Sponsored by:

Pros and cons of 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarg1
No argument, but I think I prefer the feel of lighter cars, and in theory the better handling.
So do I. But with a 993, getting the weight down can be as expensive as adding power, unfortunately. Plus, depending on how much weight you remove, the car can become less comfortable/usable on the street
Old 10-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarg1
While I agree that the price per horsepower ratio is terrible for the 3.8 upgrade, I personally would not want to use forced induction because of the increase of weight in the back, and that is also why I wouldn't want to buy a turbo, which is a great car, but basically a completely different animal than a narrow body rear wheel drive 993. Clearly weight loss is by far the most cost effective approach to increasing 993 performance, and that is currently how I am approaching the problem. But at some point I would also like to find a way to increase horsepower without increasing weight, and I imagine I will have to bite the bullet and pay the big bucks knowing that I will not see a commensurate increase in the value of the car.
uh, 100lbs=10bhp.

When you've shaved 1,200lbs off the car, you let me know.

Additionally, doing any serious weight loss compromises the useability of the car. No A/C, door panels with no arm rest, fixed seats, no sunroof, no radio, no sound deadening, no rear seats, etc.

All this fuss over a 6 hour job to remove the front differential and related components?

Hell, buy the turbo, take out the AWD, throw in some muffler deletes, and you're about even on weight, with more power.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:08 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What gearing do you have on the car?........That makes a huge difference to a 993 in my experience, rather than outright bhp, when incremental power costs so much...
Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

It's really a never ending story... Ask me how I know it...

Question should be: why do you want more power? If you want to beat other cars in traffic lights (stupid in my opinion), a 30hp addition will do you absolutely nothing.
If you want to turn faster laps at a track, look at weight saving, suspension etc. first.
If you just want to make car feel more aggressive/faster, put in a lightweight flywheel, free flowing exhaust and more agressive mapping. This will cost you much less than a 3.8 conversion and will feel faster than 3.8 too.

With regards to the supercharger, it really doesn't add much weight as you are also removing a lot of stuff. But it definately makes the car a lot faster.
A turbo engine would be even better.

And i also agree regarding the gearing, with shorter close ratio gears the car will feel much much more powerful.

It's all down to what you are looking for. But i think a 3.8 upgrade is a total waste in any case.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:29 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A waste?done right,not so.,love cubic inches., try to have a ride on a 4.0 GT3, and you will be a believer.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny1
A waste?done right,not so.,love cubic inches., try to have a ride on a 4.0 GT3, and you will be a believer.
you tell me I'm gonna **** myself when going from a 3.6 GT3 to a 4.0 GT3 with everything else being held the same? I bet I'm bored halfway through 2nd gear.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:12 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I've never experimented w/ the variant coding pins but from what I have gathered all the DME's contain multiple programming for different country compliance, the different programs are accessed by grounding various pins to each other or ground, so what you suggest is certainly a good possibility
Could someone w/ a '94 or '95 check this? If true, switching to 'RS mode' should result in increased idle speed (from 800 to 960rpm) & rev-limit (from 6700 to 6840).

Who knows, maybe even revised spark advance & LWF magic..

thx!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ToSi
Could someone w/ a '94 or '95 check this?
The RS ignition timing maps, etc. are on a specific eprom and not part of the regular ecu that everybody has. I was just trying to give an explanation for what Gert had said, "The ecu in the kit is always the one of the RS and does not work with the wiring harness of a normal 993. I never understood why Porsche did this." based on my experience with the 964RS ecu. (and yes I have dumped and disassembled the normal 993 ECU).
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The RS ignition timing maps, etc. are on a specific eprom and not part of the regular ecu that everybody has. I was just trying to give an explanation for what Gert had said, "The ecu in the kit is always the one of the RS and does not work with the wiring harness of a normal 993. I never understood why Porsche did this." based on my experience with the 964RS ecu. (and yes I have dumped and disassembled the normal 993 ECU).
Understood, questioning Bill's assertion that model coding can be changed via external means. Thought it was just a basic spark / fuel offset for diff't markets..
Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Sometimes money, figures, power, sense & reason just dont matter!

If you want to do it, do it! These cars are our hobby, look at golfers, some change their clubs every month and end up worse off all round! I bet this can be said for most Sunday hobbies. The OP's car is obviously his pride and joy and I dont blame him in the slightest for anything he has done or does!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+ 1 . . . . To each his own.

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
If you want to do it, do it! These cars are our hobby, look at golfers, some change their clubs every month and end up worse off all round! I bet this can be said for most Sunday hobbies. The OP's car is obviously his pride and joy and I dont blame him in the slightest for anything he has done or does!
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by ToSi
Could someone w/ a '94 or '95 check this? If true, switching to 'RS mode' should result in increased idle speed (from 800 to 960rpm) & rev-limit (from 6700 to 6840).

Who knows, maybe even revised spark advance & LWF magic..

thx!
As Jason says the removable chip in the OBD1 systems has the actual engine operating parameters, but there are other pieces of code such as fault memory which also vary by country, the central informer parameters for example vary too, US has a monitor for SAI, RoW does not. On 964 there are different engine maps too all on the same oe chip 1) cat equipped 2) California & Japan 3) w/o cat. These are accessed by a 3 pin pigtail on the main harness, open is 1, bridge to bat+ is 2, bridge to ground is 3.

on OBD1 993 there is a similar 2 pin pigtail w/ 3 engine maps pin 54 is the DME control point, open is RoW, 1kohm bridge is M150, grounded is USA, Canada w/ SAI. If a n aftermarket chip is used I assume the above does not apply
Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

anyone have a link to where one can purchase an itb system? $?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I believe that the incompatibility assertion comes from the fact that RS had vram in '95 when all the others had only the resonance manifold. At that time the RS and regular DME pin assignments were at odds w/ each other, but for '96 on RoW had vram and the same OBD1 pin outs on the RS and regular models, so the DME should be plug and play, obviously I haven't tried it but when figuring out how to install a RoW '97 engine in my US '95 I found that the RoW pinouts are all the same and that the US only needed to change the SAI to operate the resonance flap and the old resonance flap to operate the vram so that I can use either a US 55pin DME or a '97 regular DME or (I believe) an RS DME to operate the motor correctly as long as the removable chip is the correct one.

I sent Jason the chips at that time so that he could look at the code
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Money and value will be held in different esteem by each of us

As someone that has done the motor(3.8RS), the trans(g50/30Cup/RSR), and weight loss(~2700#) The car is a totally different and totally satisfying animal than what it was when I bought it. The goal was to approximate a Cup car(I do 2-3k track mi a year) while staying street legal(sortof). I think that I succeeded, money was not the primary concern, the result was, I think that if resale is a primary concern go buy a Cayman S or 991S and let the car do more of the work but if you want to retain old school involvement w/ increased performance a project like this whether you start w/ a 911, 964 or 993 is very rewarding

BTW in the latest Pano there is a great article on Leh Keen's '95 993Cup and it's history w/ him and his Dad. A great read

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of 3.8