Sponsored by:

alarm going off when car locked

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default alarm going off when car locked

Apologies if this repeats, but I added this to a really old thread and wanted to start a new one.
I had my alarm going off at random times after I locked the car. The mechanic seemed to fix it by making sure there was no short to ground with the cable in the windshield going to the interior light (97 C2 Cabriolet). This seemed to work for a while. I also replaced the old battery to get voltage up to 12.64 from previous 11.95.
But now the alarm issue has recurred. He will check to see if the code shows a short again. If it does not, then I have the following to report and ask about. I now notice that the alarm goes off between 80-120 minutes after locking. Might be 120 mins with top up and less with top down. Anyway, when it does NOT sound, I found the remote will not unlock the car and I have to insert the key to open the door. Then the car goes nuts with alarm and spasmodically flashing red LEDs on the doors until I can quiet it down. Once I think I had to start the car to quiet it. Anyway, this issue of 993s not unlocking remotely is not uncommon, my dealer says. But the correlation with an alarm issue is not normal. Any thoughts??
Old 10-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the door "closed" switch is flakey. Consider if the car is locked...and a vibration/jolt/whatever causes the flakey door switch to momentarily changed state...this would trigger the alarm...yes? Just a thought...
Old 10-15-2013, 07:05 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good thought, but the event is reproducible within 2 hours every time (except for the anomaly cited in my question) and the car is usually in the garage when I do this test. And the doors work fine (except for the anomaly cited in my thread).

Quick Reply: alarm going off when car locked