Sponsored by:

1st Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:12 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
So what exactly happens if you do this and why is it bad?
I "borrowed" this from a Goggle search (thanks Tom & Ray!), it sounds like a reasonable explanation:

Dear Tom and Ray: I know that lugging the engine is bad, and I know how to avoid it. But what is it, really? What causes that pinging or clunking noise? Is the crankshaft bouncing up and down? Is there detonation in the combustion chambers? -- Randy

Ray: Good question, Randy. Most of the noise comes from mistimed explosions in the cylinders -- which is called "detonation" or "pinging."

Tom: When you lug the engine -- when you try to accelerate in too high a gear -- you make the engine work harder than it's supposed to.

Ray: When the engine is overworked, it overheats. The way it overheats is that the temperature inside the cylinders gets too high. When that happens, the gasoline-and-air mixture -- which is supposed to detonate when the spark plug fires -- detonates unpredictably at other times, too. That's called pinging -- when those extra detonations make a sound like marbles rolling around in a coffee can.

Tom: And under the worst of circumstances, you can also get piston slap, which is a "clunky" noise. Because you are getting uneven combustion inside the cylinder (the detonation doesn't necessarily happen at the right time or in the right spot), the explosion can force the piston off to one side when it descends during the power stroke. When that happens repeatedly, the cylinder walls get all scraped up, and over time, your car turns into the proverbial oil-burning heap.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM
saneproductions
Racer

Originally Posted by CADguy

Yes, totally agree! It looks surreal, almost like a painting. I'd bet that's no iPhone pic!
It is an iPhone pic! I left my 5DIII at home
Old 10-15-2013, 06:19 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by saneproductions
It is an iPhone pic! I left my 5DIII at home
Wow...... I would have never guessed. Awesome picture indeed.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:04 PM
saneproductions
Racer

It is all about the light. A pinhole camera would have worked just as well.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 191 Posts

Great pics and story. Hope this is the first of many roadtrips in your 993.

I'm in SeaTac right now for business and whenever I'm here I tell myself that this is some of the most insanely beautiful scenery this planet has to offer. Y'all are very fortunate to have it wherever you look.

Quick Reply: 1st Road Trip