993 Forum 1995-1998

Alternator Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
RS is for chumps who don't drive at night or use their electrical facilities.

The standard set up is fine. Get the updated pullies and porsche belts. Feel the belt sensor bearing for grittiness. If it turns fine, maybe add a touch of lubricant and leave it there.
++1.

Everyone's driving style and usage dictates whether the RS setup is best for them or not. It was really intended for cars that don't idle much in traffic and/or with accessories running.

Porsche really got this one right for the majority of people.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Benzrod
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
RS is for chumps who don't drive at night or use their electrical facilities.

The standard set up is fine. Get the updated pullies and porsche belts. Feel the belt sensor bearing for grittiness. If it turns fine, maybe add a touch of lubricant and leave it there.
++1.

Everyone's driving style and usage dictates whether the RS setup is best for them or not. It was really intended for cars that don't idle much in traffic and/or with accessories running.

Porsche really got this one right for the majority of people.

Thanks, Steve that really makes sense. I think of the battery drain every time i put the top down on my Cab. Porsche got a lot of things right.

Bill
Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Here is the info on the pulley update and the belt to use with it.
BINGO!!! Thx!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:17 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a question about an earlier post regarding updated pulleys. Did this update apply to the RS/single pulley setup, or to the original 2-pulley setup? If it applies to the 2-pulley setup, what is the part number(s) I should be looking for (my car is a '96 C2).

Thanks

Marc
Old 10-12-2013, 03:16 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley
There are a few other RS mods that work in conjunction with the RS pulley mod. Reduce the electrical draw to match the alternator output. Remove the air conditioning, remove the radio and comfort control unit. Dump the alarm, door locking and immobilizer. Delete the heater blower and power windows.
I found that the only way to make the RS pulley work was to delete the car's entire electrical system. I now have a small farm of hamsters that live inside the front trunk, running on their little hamster wheels, to keep the headlights working when I do drive at night, which one can't very often given that the hamsters need a break every hour or so. Thankfully the hamster food budget is modest. But the trunk does smell a bit of sawdust and rodent sweat.

Jeezus, you guys. Clutching your pearls in terror.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Marc,

Post #26 in this thread has the link to the TSB with all the details and part numbers. The pulley update applies only to the original dual-pulley setup.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:54 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bobbie....
Old 10-12-2013, 04:35 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

You're welcome, Mark.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:16 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

lol.....sorry about that. I've got a client that spells it that way; not thinking.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
I found that the only way to make the RS pulley work was to delete the car's entire electrical system. I now have a small farm of hamsters that live inside the front trunk, running on their little hamster wheels, to keep the headlights working when I do drive at night, which one can't very often given that the hamsters need a break every hour or so. Thankfully the hamster food budget is modest. But the trunk does smell a bit of sawdust and rodent sweat.

Jeezus, you guys. Clutching your pearls in terror.
I admire your courage to dare admit that not only have you gone RS .... but that you also have an installed KERS system: being hamster based, it is even more Green than F1.
As an RS convert also, I too have been using a sub species of the northern hamster. With reticence, I never previously admitted this for fear of being called out as a Chump for simply using a RS hub - as that has already happened in this thread ( by Quadcammer, and dutifully seconded by Steve W), one may as well go with full disclosure .
The hamsters perform admirably, and part of the credit goes to a Hi-pro feed which I have contracted Eukanuba to provide .... I will be glad to provide that racing formula to any other closet hamster users via confidential PM.
I do admit that even this KERS system is not quite enough to accommodate the (chump) RS deficiencies when running full throttle at night though long tunnels with hi beams on and listening to the Grateful Dead at full amp power output: to augment the KERS output, I have added a CART style "push to pass" system. With a spare fuel injector and a spark plug, one can atomize and flash off a solution of crystal meth and crack into the hamster cage. This allows the little guys to take a supercharged hit while running at full chat without missing a beat { the initial design had half of the team dropping to half speed so that they could light up mini bongs - nice on paper, but impractical}.

Anyway, some of us have made the decision to delete the belt shredding twin system in favour of a single belt .... a system that never seems to fail: with a little creativity, one can augment the alternator performance .... it's just one of the things that chumps are driven to do ....
Old 10-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Tomorrow's adventure: all new belts and updated pulley.
For anyone on the market, I found the best price for the belts at Suncoast - http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/PO.html (no affiliation) and the pulley from dC Automotive (no affiliation)

Old 04-02-2014, 01:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like I will be doing the same. 1st drive with the kids and the belt starts squeeling and the alternator belt shreds within seconds. Quite embarrasing. Left the car behind. They were so excited to get in the "new" car.

Took it all apart last night to find out that the TSB for updated pulleys was never applied on this car. I have ordered the belts and pulley from Suncoast as well as 1 x .5mm shim and 1 x .7mm shim. Hopefully this should address the constant squeeling I was getting since I purchased the car.

Quick Reply: Alternator Belt Replacement