Sponsored by:

What is this car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:49 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
There will be no shortage of buyers in the high 20's on that car.
I think Bart knows buying and selling high mileage Artic Silver S cars fairly well.

But, I think to achieve high $20K's, the maintenance history would need more "discovery." Track down and then the value gets to the high $20K's. For $19K, I think nearly everyone here would buy it.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

they could not even align the exhaust properly...

I tend to agree with high values, but this car isn't worth much. 160k mile C4S didn't sell for $30. This one has extra 40k miles and accident with unknown damage...they didn't even align the exchaust. I think talking to PO face to face would reveal more of the story behind the car. Mid 20's only if the damage was really cosmetic and if you can trust the PO on proper maintenance of the car.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:52 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Are there more pics of this car? I only saw the OP's one pic with the shy exhaust tip...

As to the value of this car, at some point mileage has to start to hurt, regardless of maintenance history. Maybe not 100k, or even 150k, but at close to 200k, in today's value I'd find it hard to justify anything over $20k.

The math is simple: a pristine WB with <40k on odo can fetch a good $60k today. A 190k version of the same car should be at least half off, so make it $30k. Then add in unknown repair history, potential top end, A/C, transmission, suspension, sensors, gaskets..., that's another $10k minimum so the car is now $20k.

Accident history is another $5k. So now we're at $15k. That's the value of the car today.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
98C4S
1 owner
190K miles
recent $7K clutch and engine reseal - no records of top end
no records from the owner
rear accident and paint work obviously

A driver for sure.... Thinking mid$20s although resale value for this would be next to nothing. Not a good track car candidate because it is a widebody. who would want a car with over 200K miles in a few years..
Another what is this car worth...a guy with 4K plus post should be able to value the car himself?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by mdude
Are there more pics of this car? I only saw the OP's one pic with the shy exhaust tip....
I have more and will share if I pass on the car.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:02 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swesna
Another what is this car worth...a guy with 4K plus post should be able to value the car himself?
I post this for discussion leaving bandwidth wasting comments in your capable hands. Feel free to stay out of this party and find your own sandbox.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

If some thinks this car is worth mid-to-hi $20's, then paying full asking for this one sounds like a much better deal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item19e2607a36

Not to sound facetious, I'd seriously consider paying $35k to Top Gear for this car if I were looking today; condition upon passing PPI. Spend another $k or so to get a painted split grille and I'm done.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:06 PM
C4S993
Pro

I bought a C4S 993 from north of Boston through Ebay in late 2004; seller neglected to tell me the climate control was dead and heat didn't work. At time it was 60k miles and now has 186k miles. Mine is on Ebay and has zero bids at $24k and engine was split case rebuilt 3 years ago with all records (excepts Barts of course).

Last edited by C4S993; 10-04-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

If some thinks this car is worth mid-to-hi $20's, then paying full asking for this one sounds like a much better deal...

Not to sound facetious, I'd seriously consider paying $35k to Top Gear for this car if I were looking today; condition upon passing PPI. Spend another $k or so to get a painted split grille and I'm done.
Ilko had his eyes on this car and can comment. He passed on it if it means anything.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S993
I bought a C4S 993 from Bart through Ebay in late 2004; he neglected to tell me the climate control was dead and heat didn't work. At time it was 60k miles and now has 186k miles. Mine is on Ebay and has zero bids at $24k and engine was split case rebuilt 3 years ago with all records (excepts Barts of course).
Not from this Bart you didn't. I have never previously owned or sold a C4S. Nor would I ever sell a car without first correcting anything that was wrong with or disclosing problems.

Kindly correct your mistake.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

That car was in TERRIBLE cosmetic shape. It's been hit. It's been repaired. Poorly. Gaps are bad. Paint is bad. It has a salvage title. The interior looked like it's been through hell and back. And in the process it developed mold on the rear seats. There is an issue with the sunroof. The hood has been replaced and there was no manual so I couldn't tell what options it came with. The front wheels are aftermarket, possibly the rears as well. I drove it in the parking lot and the clutch pedal was very heavy. Aftermarket shifter with linkage that felt like it was about to fall off. It developed a squeak at idle (fan, belt, who knows). Fabspeed exhaust sounded good. Any other questions, let me know

Oh, and you will not be able to get a a working painted split grille decklid for $1000. I just went through this exercise, you're looking at close to $2K if you find used parts at the right prices.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:45 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ilko
That car was in TERRIBLE cosmetic shape...
Can't argue w/ someone who has actually driven the car..., and that someone is Ilko.

That said, from the pics on eBay the car looks exquisite. I know Top Gear and photoshop are always mentioned in the same sentence. Wish I live closer so I can see for myself.

You're right about $2k for the split grille.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

That car was in TERRIBLE cosmetic shape. It's been hit. It's been repaired. Poorly. Gaps are bad. Paint is bad. It has a salvage title. The interior looked like it's been through hell and back. And in the process it developed mold on the rear seats. There is an issue with the sunroof. The hood has been replaced and there was no manual so I couldn't tell what options it came with. The front wheels are aftermarket, possibly the rears as well. I drove it in the parking lot and the clutch pedal was very heavy. Aftermarket shifter with linkage that felt like it was about to fall off. It developed a squeak at idle (fan, belt, who knows). Fabspeed exhaust sounded good. Any other questions, let me know

Oh, and you will not be able to get a a working painted split grille decklid for $1000. I just went through this exercise, you're looking at close to $2K if you find used parts at the right prices.
Sounds like a $12K car obviously...
Old 12-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Hovik
Banned

Originally Posted by chsu74
I post this for discussion leaving bandwidth wasting comments in your capable hands. Feel free to stay out of this party and find your own sandbox.
That's funny!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:04 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 255 Posts

pics look good though, then again all their cars show well...

Quick Reply: What is this car worth?