Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd mod completed... bumper plugs! I was skeptical at first...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003 | 06:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Default 2nd mod completed... bumper plugs! I was skeptical at first...

Well, I recently went to a meet and ride in Rockville Md and half the 993's there didn't have a front license plate. I was miffed, as the law in Md. dictates that we have it. That day I was shown the light and was told that my front plate looked pretty bad (it's got a K40 radar detector built into the license plate holder & is VERY thick!), so I called up Erik at Bumper Plugs and awaited my plugs. I just got them today (he sent them without receiving my check first... very cool!), opened up the very light package and was surprised to see the 2 incredibly spartan items that cost $31 including shipping. Man, what a rip, I thought as I went out to the garage to take off my current plate and holder.

I got the old plate and holder off, cut with scissors my K40 radar detector wire (oh well - I never used it anyway) and pulled out the tiny $31 plastic bumper plugs from their package. I couldn't figure out why they would possibly cost so much - they're just 2 painted polar silver plastic screws, but I put some gaffers tape around the threaded oart and inserted them so they fit tightly on the car. I stood back to look at my "overpriced" mod, and was stunned to see how great the front of the car looked now. These lowly bumper plugs had transformed my previously ugly front end into a sleek, swank clean looking frontispiece. I was soooo happy with these little guys all of a sudden that their $31 fee was starting to seem like a good deal after all. I remember the many posts on here of people being happy with them, kudos to Erik and all that stuff, and I, in my mind, now chimed in as well.

Glad to be a member of the "deleleted front plate club" for now. Hoping Maryland's finest don't take a shining to my lack of front plate. My wife's been driving around town for 2 years without a front plate on her Jag XK8, so I hope I'll be as lucky. I never thought the front plate looked THAT bad on the car, but now that it's gone, I see what everyone else was talking about. Thanks Erik! Another happy customer.

Steve
Old 07-14-2003 | 07:26 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

how do I get a hold of Eric?
thanks
Levino
Old 07-14-2003 | 07:36 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

http://www.geocities.com/esklut/plugs.html
Above is the address for them! Hope the link works...

Good luck,
Steve
Old 07-15-2003 | 04:56 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put them on my C4S as soon as I got it. Really helps the look. Absurd price for 2 little thingies, but the aesthetic appeal is worth it, I think.
Old 07-15-2003 | 05:19 AM
bet
Drifting

Hey Steve,

Are you going to write up a DIY for this?
Old 07-15-2003 | 06:14 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Talking

Hi Brian... I'm glad you asked. I WAS going to write up a DIY for this somewhat complicated mod. Maybe they'll add this to the FAQ.

Here ya go:

1) Log on to http://www.geocities.com/esklut/plugs.html and try to buy the bumper plugs from Erik's website. Try 5 times and give up in frustration as the Paypal option doesn't work (for me!) and call him the next morning to have him just send them asap on the promise that your check will reach him in return.

2) Wait dutifully by the front door for UPS...

3) The moment arrives and the UPS guy comes with an incredibly light package - is it just air inside? Did Erik remember to put anything in there?

4) You lustfully open the small box and find some more sales literature for Boxster products and alas, the bumper plugs sit snugly in the bottom of box, ready to be put on your car, creating a virtual Porsche showpiece.

5) You easily unscrew the front license plate (make sure it's the FRONT plate) and take off the license plate holder with that same phillips head screwdriver.

6) You're now looking at a clean front bumper, except - what's that? A screw must have been screwed in too far from the previous owner and you have a small screw indentation in the bumper - DOH! Oh well, touch up paint is just a few feet away in the garage.

7) Clean the area on the bumper, put some electrical tape (or better yet, gaffers tape) on the screw threads to make them sit in the bumper better and press each bumper plug into the square, ugly holes in your bumper.

8) Bring your lawn chair to the garage and gaze at your "new", clean looking front bumper. License plate free, you now have an entirely fresh look. Drive it around town, show your new bumper plugs off to your friends, get your first rock chip in the previously covered front license plate area.

9) Have a good explanation ready for when you get pulled over by your local police as to why you think you're above the law, driving around without a front plate! "Uh, officer, someone backed into me in a parking lot and my plate came off - I have it right here in the back seat under the floor mat as I'm awaiting a new mounting bracket from the dealer. Um, why do I have a fresh set of bumper plugs on my front end if I'm awaiting a bracket? Well, uh, the bracket is coming from Germany, and it's on back order, and they say it could be 2 months. I got the bumper plugs in the meantime so it won't look so bad...Yeah, that's it."

Hope this helps anyone considering this moderately technical modification.

Steve
Old 07-15-2003 | 09:26 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve. I was really holding off on this mod until someone stepped up to the plate wrote a tech article for it. I was just about to work my way through a DIY RS clutch job, but figured I should knock this one out first.

While I am always looking for ways to waste more money on overpriced items for my Porsches, I sort of like my front license plate, especially since I have a frame from none other than John Walker's Workshop! I know a lot of folks in VA drive sans front plate, but I wonder how likely and expensive a ticket would be.
Old 07-15-2003 | 09:38 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I had exactly the same experience with the bumper plug guy. My wife ordered them for me as a xmas gift, and they were shipped before she paid for them. You gotta laugh at the price, though, but they are a perfect match for arena red.

Since I just had my front bumper resprayed and converted to Euro (bumprettes removed), the body shop asked me if I wanted to fill the license holes. I decided that I'd rather have the plugs, just in case I ever have to reinstall the license plate for a fix-it ticket. Yes, they look that good.

There something very refreshing about dealing with a guy that trusts you to send the money after he sends the stuff. And the price we paid makes for some pretty funny stories to non-Porsche owners, who are agog at what nitwits we are.
Old 07-15-2003 | 03:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

So, it's not just me that thought the price was absurd for the bumperplugs... cool. Sometimes, it's just a matter of supply and demand. I couldn't find anyone else to supply them.

I went to work today, driving without the front plate for the first time, and saw a cop and got very nervous I was going to get pulled over! This "no front plate thing" has got me on edge. I'm sure I'll get over it fast.

Steve
Old 07-15-2003 | 04:27 PM
cmoss

Steve, I'm having trouble following your DIY... Which plug goes on the left, and which goes on the right?

Seriously, that was some of the most effective money I've spent. Lots bang, little bucks--it's all good.
Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-15-2003 | 04:39 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Good job, Steve. At least your color was in stock!

My bumper plugs cost me around $100 since Turquoise Blue isn't a stocked color. I had to pay for set-up and 3 sets of plugs...but it was worth it.

Anyone want to buy a set of Turquoise Blue bumper plugs?
Old 07-15-2003 | 06:35 PM
SLVR
Pro

Hey Steve,
I really like the look of your exhaust tips! What is the brand?
TIA
Old 07-15-2003 | 06:55 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Bill - $100 for turquoise blue bumper plugs? Man, to think I'VE been whining! Glad you got them!

Now, for some reason, my bumperettes aren't looking so attractive without the license plate there anymore. Maybe one day I'll switch to a bumperette free lexistence and go for the euro look.

SLVR97TT - I got my exhaust tips used for $100 from Phil on Rennlist... he offered them to me after I noted that mine were brown! I believe they are the Fabspeed tips.

Steve

Old 07-15-2003 | 09:32 PM
Rennlist Member

Prior to my 993, I had thought about getting these bumper plugs because they make such a big difference to the car's appearance. Luckily, the car that I bought already had them!

Bill - I bet those plugs look great in Turqoise Blue!
Old 07-15-2003 | 09:57 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

yeah, I too thought the price of the plugs was pretty steep...but hey, no one's forcing me to buy them! I figure if it was so easy to make these then either I could do it myself for less or there would be other people out there selling them...but it's not and there aren't, so I give kudos to Eric for recognizing a business opportunity, pricing it just right (for him) and providiing great customere service.

Quick Reply: 2nd mod completed... bumper plugs! I was skeptical at first...