Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Sloan Cars - A dealership disguised as a collector

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:42 PM
E_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my 1998 C2S from Sloan sight unseen, shipped it to Europe, first and only 993 I've ever driven. Test driving it every time I use it.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Andrew930
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I visited Sloan in January and was very impressed with their operation. Richard was most welcoming as was his son Brett. No pressure whatsoever, just browse and enjoy.

I firmly believe they have some of the very finest cars anywhere. They take extreme measures to protect their reputation as someone who sells solid well sorted examples. I personally would not want to test drive one of their cars as I wouldn't want to accept responsibility. If I am looking at a 993, I already know how they drive. Buying from Sloan, they have verified that it drives as it should.

At the end of the day, it's best to deal with Sloan as they take due diligence to deliver a car as described. Having personally met Brett, I can assure you that he and his father will back anything they sell.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:02 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
hmmm. another 993 in the Merrimack Valley? What color are you? Where are you. :-)

We know Richard well, and he does work with us on our site so we're obviously biased, but I've been at the shop many, many times and seen cars go on test drives. On the same token, I've seen even more of his cars go out the door sight unseen to buyers across the country and the globe. With a PPI and good history, a test drive isn't really necessary unless you've never driven that model at all...
Make that two addiations to the Merrimack Valley, I purchased my 97 C2 S from Richard this past Aug.

I have done three deals with Richard over the lst 12 years and always found him a man of his word. I also think that one of the reasons that not everone insists on a test drive is because most of Sloans customers are not first time buyers and know what they want.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I am not saying I wouldn't buy from Sloan. I am just saying he put off a couple of buyers who travelled a few hundred miles to see and drive a couple of cars they were interested in. They both wound up buying a 964 and a 993 from other dealers. They did get brief test drives on the cars they purchased.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Over the past few months I've been shopping for a 993 and have spoken to Richard Sloan a few times. He's always been pretty responsive. In fact, I've called a few times and didn't leave a message, but he would call back anyway, stating he just missed a call from my number. Anyway, I haven't visited his shop (didn't have what I was looking for), but he certainly invited me up.

I've also visited Top Gear (Saddle Brook, NJ) and Holt Motorsports (West Chester, PA) and both of these dealers also have very nice inventory. I test drove an 87' 930 with TG owner Aret, which was pretty cool.

I just place a deposit on a 96' C2 from Truspeed.

FWIW, if you're in the market for a 911, regardless of series, the dealers, while a bit higher priced, do have the inventory and do perform some level of screening as to protect their reputation. I would never buy a specialty car like a 911 from a general "exotic car" dealer....only from a Porsche-centric dealer.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:27 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

It all boils down to conveniance.

Using a dealer - with due diligence, will save you time, effort, travel, and potentially a quicker means to an end.

The cost can be $4K - $10K above what you might paty if you have done it yourself.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just saw this...
...I only had him buy a car from me & it was a great experience.
Actually gave me 10K more than I was asking!
Also, he kept inviting me to come up & see the cars up there.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

It all boils down to conveniance.

Using a dealer - with due diligence, will save you time, effort, travel, and potentially a quicker means to an end.

The cost can be $4K - $10K above what you might paty if you have done it yourself.
Sure, it's a matter of conenience, but it could be a matter of necessity. If you're seriously shopping for a car and you find what you want at a dealer, it's very, very difficult to hold the position you're only going to buy from a private party seller.

The market for these old air cooled cars is very constrained, so when you find the car that matches most of your criteria for color, options, wheels, milage, blah, blah, blah, you need to move on the car, because there's a real possibility you may not find an equivalent car again.

As we all know, they're not making these things any longer and with each passing day, the supply dwindles for a variety of reasons.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot

I just place a deposit on a 96' C2 from Truspeed.
Congratulations!! We need more info and pictures!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:07 PM
SQK993
Rennlist Member

I bought my 98 C2s from RS hand no issues, his cars are pricey but they are some of the finest examples out there. You pay for what you get. My car was shipped out of the US to San Juan, Puerto Rico and he helped me out.
PS I got to test drive my car.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

They ask premium dollars and can afford to sit on the cars as they go up in value for the most part.

I can see why they would not offer test drives. Generally, Classic Porsche buyers are model specific and are not comparing one car with another model car for performance aspects.

With a deposit I can see a test drive to assure due diligence to make sure everything is well sorted.

If I won the lotto and wanted something with low miles and as close to new as possible, i would give them a call.
Otherwise, I like to drive my cars rain or shine and have no time for maintaining garage queens therefore it is not a place i would typically shop.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 12-15-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Edinsf
Instructor

Funny thing though, every 993 I've driven we're very different.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 PM
ryguy993
Racer

In Sloan's case it is very tricky…. Most of the cars are on consignment through the owners so richard may be the only one on the insurance to be able to drive them. I know that if I was going to sell my car through a consignment dealer, I would absolutely make sure that no "test pilots" were going to get "spirited" in my car. At the end of the day, if you were to break something on the test drive, Richard is liable or at worst, the owner who could be thousands of miles away.

When I was looking for a 993, I visited Richard's place and the cars are amazing! I have seen several posts about both good and bad experiences with him. I for one had a great time visiting the dealership (warehouse) and viewing all the exceptional cars he had. If you let him know what you are looking for he will accommodate.

That being said, I did not buy from him, as the prices were just way to steep.

I'm sure if your friends were ready to buy and it was conditional under the terms of a PPI and a test drive, they would have had no problem with that.

Simple reality is "money talks and you know what, walks"

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 04-26-2014, 11:25 PM
LaurenceG
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Richard Sloan Experience

In 2011 I purchased a 4300 mile 1996 993 Coupe from Sloan Cars.
The vehicle was exactly as advertised and the purchase process was without complications.
Late last year I visited Richard's new facility in Hamden, CT. I was taken by a 2008 C2S Cab with 2600 miles. Meteor grey with full red leather/black carpets, black top, sport seats, etc won my heart.
The price was in line and the transaction seamless. Richard even provided enclosed transportation to my home in Farmington, CT.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Neun 11
Instructor

Do they ever update their website? After watching a car for a couple weeks, I called to talk about it. Mr. Sloan answered the phone, curtly responded with, "Just sold it," and was gone. The car is still on their site, nearly a month after the call.

Quick Reply: Sloan Cars - A dealership disguised as a collector