993 Forum 1995-1998

Washing engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
I'm just looking for a degreaser as well.
You can get Facto AT30 from Swish USA. It is water based and comes in a 20 liter pail which will last you a long time. They (at least their home office) now know how to ship it; a couple of Rennlisters now use the product as well.

Bar none, the best degreaser I have come across and used in my 28 years of using the stuff. And it works out to far less per liter than most consumer grade products.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Can't wait to get home and have at it!

And of course I am going to get in there with my bare hands and some rags to do the nitty gtitty. That's half the fun for me.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:06 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Before and after pics
Old 10-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I will do my best!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm just looking for a degreaser as well. Down there is nasty (engine low side and grearbox) and as well my engine bay.How about the citrus degreaser version? Simple Green will work?
I have read that simple green is not good, it does cut grease, but is otherwise not good for the aluminum or the rubber.

P21S is highly recommended, though I have not tried it myself.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone tried P21S Total Auto Wash? A couple of people recommended it.

While the engine & engine compartment of my Targa were extremely clean thanks to under 18k miles and care by previous owners, there were a couple of places that needed cleaning. This P21S product seemed to work well. And, it doesn't stink like GUNK.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Mine's pretty clean, but I'm gonna wait to Dec when I drop the motor for the clutch, for a real cleaning.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just looking for a degreaser as well. Down there is nasty (engine low side and grearbox) and as well my engine bay.How about the citrus degreaser version? Simple Green will work?
I like Opt Power Clean. Lot's of pro detailers use their stuff. It's 20% off till 10/10 at this link:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...287/128-oz-S2/
Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by G-MASSA
One suggestion- I would be careful with some degreasers as they can embrittle plastics and rubbers and also etch aluminum if left for long periods in direct contact. I believe simple green is not recommended for aluminum. Just be quick with solvents. Also- strong degreasers seem to ruin the anodized black coating on newer Porsche brake calipers.
Originally Posted by Kika
I have read that simple green is not good, it does cut grease, but is otherwise not good for the aluminum or the rubber.

P21S is highly recommended, though I have not tried it myself.
Fikse recommended (the old Fikse, at least) using Simple Green to clean their aluminum wheels. I have never had a problem using the stuff with my wheels.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:25 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Mine's pretty clean, but I'm gonna wait to Dec when I drop the motor for the clutch, for a real cleaning.
Hi Ed,

On my C2, it isn't necessary to drop the engine to do the clutch--tranny only.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
No No No! Don't do it: “accept the things I should not fix, have courage to fix the things I must and have the wisdom to know the difference”
Way back in the days when I was a service tech, we had a saying..."if it don't fit...force it...if it breaks...it needed replacing anyway"...

My 993 has never really gotten dirty enough to need a "spray down" cleaning. But I have other cars that have...and I do the same as a few others...spray Simple Green on it...then hose it off gently. However, one thing I think is a good idea is to never start the car after the spray down...until it has had plenty of time to sit in the sun a dry...because any electrical parts that may have gotten damp...stand a better chance of survival if they have dried out before the electricity is applied.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Fikse recommended (the old Fikse, at least) using Simple Green to clean their aluminum wheels. I have never had a problem using the stuff with my wheels.
I will add, I have only read that Simple Green is not recommended. I don't recall where exactly I read it, but probably on a post here someplace.

I don't use it frequently, maybe once every two years if that, on parts of the engine , and use plenty of water to wash it all off. If there are ill effects on the aluminum, I have yet to see them
Old 10-06-2013, 05:26 PM
GwynnieMae
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Black Magic 2 in 1 Engine Shine. That's what I use and you can get it almost anywhere. It says on the can, safe for all engine parts. I'll say I am very impressed at how well it works.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
I will add, I have only read that Simple Green is not recommended. I don't recall where exactly I read it, but probably on a post here someplace.

I don't use it frequently, maybe once every two years if that, on parts of the engine , and use plenty of water to wash it all off. If there are ill effects on the aluminum, I have yet to see them
Just going by what Travis at Fikse told me many years ago. The stuff never affected my rims (anodized centers and raw, polished lips). Their cleaning protocol may have changed with the sale of the company.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I think SG is fine, as long as it is rinsed off well. It can be caustic to Alum, if not rinsed-maybe more so in full strength.

Quick Reply: Washing engine bay