Sponsored by:

Distributor Belt Snapped!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, the vinyl cable with the sliding weight works great.

Be interesting it someone can find the source for those bearings - its like a well protected trade secret. One of these days, we will find out..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by frankv
Can I ask about the crowbar technique to remove the distributor assembly. I am a bit hesitant to use medieval tools.

Regards, Frank

Frank, a crowbar is a medieval tool.

Use something like this...

It came out super easy using that method.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by frankv
I want to replace the belt on mine as preventative maintenance but the assembly is firmly stuck in place and won't budge.
I have never had any issue whatsoever (2 993 and a handful of 964s) but I have always removed the drain plug and drained the crankcase of oil prior to pulling the distributor. I wonder if there is a partial vacuum that is keeping it stuck? Mike J, you've done more of these than most, do you remember if an oil-less engine made any difference?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
This brings up a topic that I thought was covered before on RL but I couldn't find the thread. Can a broken distributor belt cause any significant damage to our 993 engines?

I thought it depended on where the distributor stops its path after belt breaks that determines potential severe internal engine damage. However, I was just visiting a mechanic who has been working on 993's for many years and said that a broken distributor belt is never really a concern as the engine just loses power and can be driven in this "limp" mode back to a shop to be repaired.

Any one seen any severe damage with this type of situation?
Marc,
If the belt snaps, you still have your primary (gear driven) distributor working and in proper time with the motor. I think you will notice immediate power loss, and I would not imagine an issue as long as it gets addressed ASAP. I would not drive the car with a broken belt, if thats what you're asking...

The secondary plug would not be firing, so maybe incomplete burn within the cylinders, which may have an eventual detrimental effect, if dirven and left unattended.

EDIT: In looking at the photos again, if the broken belt somehow got lodged and locked the primary distributor, I suppose the pin or even the drive gear could suffer catastrophic failure, depending on the circumstances.

Distributor drives are somewhat independent of cam, valve, piston rise and fall timing chain driven system, in that the only connection is the primary distributor drive gear. If all the teeth were to sheer, as long as the cam timing is kept in line with the crank, such destruction as pistons banging valves should not occur. Hopefully, I'm not sticking my foot in my mouth...

If incomplete burn, and left unattended, then maybe the cat would suffer from the build up, and possibly a premature life. Kinda the same as misfires...

Personally I cant vouch for holing a piston, but I'm sure MikeJ or Steve W experience base could tell you much more...

Last edited by nine9six; 10-18-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:36 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No I'm certainly not suggesting driving the car with a broken distributor belt for long periods of time.

What I am concerned about is IF the belt snaps, if issues would lead to significant engine damage such as valves or P & C concerns immediately. A firing of a plug at the wrong time, in theory, I guess could damage things. But if I'm wanting to drive just to get off the road, then I guess I'm okay.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts

anybody have the p/n for the update kit that includes the plastic fitting and tubing to evacuate ozone from the dizzy?
Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
No I'm certainly not suggesting driving the car with a broken distributor belt for long periods of time.

A firing of a plug at the wrong time, in theory, I guess could damage things. But if I'm wanting to drive just to get off the road, then I guess I'm okay.
If the belt snaps, there will be no firing of the secondary plugs in their entirety, so no worries per your secondary statement of getting off the road and to a shop, seems acceptable to me. in my understanding of the system...
Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
If the belt snaps, there will be no firing of the secondary plugs in their entirety
If the rotor stops directly in line with one of the six distributor cap contacts, a single spark plug will fire continuously. And this will eventually burn a hole in the top of the piston. Disconnect the low-voltage connectors from the ignition coil and (not the distributor) you should be okay to drive. (MY97 might not be able to?)
Old 10-18-2013, 04:27 PM
sebastian993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reference the crowbar nothing was broken or even marked. You just need that extra leverage and something that hooks up and under the base. It wasn't a full size in case anyone has images of me attacking it with a 2 foot length of steel! I used a 10 inch "crows foot" that is basically a crow bar albeit a mini version. Hook the feet round the base, tap the top of the bar in the opposite direction with a rubber mallet and hey presto it "pops" out. That's what it was in my case an udible "pop!". I tried the rope/string method to no avail. If I was doing the job again I would definitely use what I did.

In regards to the holed piston it was only me having a little fun at the forums expense. Yes this is the "doctor pepper" scenario if your really unlucky (I know of at least 1 owner this has happened to) but the chances are extremely remote according to every expert I have talked with. The worst you will encounter is rough or lumpy running (just for the record mine wasn't down on power at all) which is all the sign you need to investigate (these cars are really good at talking to you).

I was actually referring to the bearings seizing when I mentioned this and not just the belt snapping. You can all see the terrible condition they were in and that's just one of them (think there are 3 in total).

Anyway the silver lining here is once its done its something that can be ticked off the list of the never ending list of things to do. That and the car runs better than ever now!

-Seb
Old 10-18-2013, 05:12 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips on getting the distributor out. I'll give it a go again this weekend.

- Frank
Old 10-18-2013, 06:25 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I wonder if there is a partial vacuum that is keeping it stuck?
You read that on p-car. I wonder how the author came up with that one? If vacuum were holding it in, the minute you pulled it out an inch, it would be drawn back in if you let go.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
anybody have the p/n for the update kit that includes the plastic fitting and tubing to evacuate ozone from the dizzy?
I believe Pelican Parts has them. Sunset Porsche for sure.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:33 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are all the parts you'll need:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2533%2529%2520

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2538%2529%2520

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...520ml%2520tube

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...602-922-00-OEM

Last edited by 96PCarrera993mg; 10-18-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
I couldn't find the copper rod.
If you mean the distributor gear drive pin...

Porsche part number: 930 602 922 00
Old 10-18-2013, 09:24 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
If you mean the distributor gear drive pin...

Porsche part number: 930 602 922 00
Thanks Alex!

Quick Reply: Distributor Belt Snapped!