993 Forum 1995-1998

Question RE: Fister mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:39 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Question RE: Fister mufflers

My car is a 97 C4S with the Motor Sound option.

Going from stock mufflers to Fisters - IIs or IIIs?

I am not sure if the IIIs will be too much or not.

I do not want any drone and I would prefer the car to be near stock sounding when just cruising along.

Thought?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fistwr's are well known for their no droning sound. I heard the IIIs are too loud for neighbors. The IIs seems to be VERY appreciated but I don't know if they sound close to stock.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Liggit
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Crw.

I have the Stage IIs and I think they are great. When cruising you hear hardly any sound at all inside the cab, (but am sure they sound nice outside - but not too loud) but on throttle and pulling away you get a nice throaty sound.

I would say they are very different to stock. I found stock were just kind of a drone, where as the Fisters you get the throatyness....

These sound links are a good representation...

Stock :
http://www.jpgroup.dk/media/PorscheS...?car=3&type=OE

Fister:
http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-993-stage-2

I haven't heard the IIIs in the flesh, but from your question, i think they may be too much. Have a listen to the sound clip on FDs site. For me the IIs are plenty loud enough without being OTT! I am sure with both there will be no drone, but I think the IIIs will deffo be louder than stock when cruising...

Cheers,
Lig.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:31 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you located? YouTube and highly subjective statements are no substitute for the real thing. Find local RL's and listen to each set before you commit.

Having said that, get stage II
Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crw

I do not want any drone and I would prefer the car to be near stock sounding when just cruising along.

Thought?
hey there...I started with stocks, to Motor Sound, to Fister IIIs and now have Fister IIs....

the IIIs are nice, but they are loud I thot...for example, my neighbors were not happy, I couldn't pick up my daughter after school, and my wife felt uncomfy taking the car to private functions....

but the IIs are PERFECT...they are a little bit louder than Motor Sound and have more throaty/gurgleness to them at idle...and when accelerating, you can hear a nice rumble coming from the rear...

no disrespect to the IIIs and users...but if you're looking for something a tad more than the Motor Sound, think the IIs are a great step up...

I am possibly thinking of getting some IIIs again or Super Cups for a different project, but that is still in progress...good luck
Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM
CHRIS WU
Racer

I thought the stage III is perfect and they are.....until I got them,sounds really good and LOUD...so I treaded them with a friend with stageII,been very please with them.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM
branman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put III's on my '98 C4S a couple weeks ago. No droning whatsoever at highway speed.

I don't care what my neighbors think - they're all elderly anyway.

When I pick up my boys at school their friends think I have the most badass rig in the lot.

I don't want my wife driving my car anyway.

Do what makes you happy - buy III's and never look back.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:10 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed that Youtube representations of the sound are not 100%. You have to hear them in person to be really sold! I finally had a chance to do a "sound off" with my StageIIs vs. a local RLer's StageIIIs this summer... Needless to say, I'm VERY happy with my IIs. The IIIs are very aggressive in comparison.

Either way, can't go wrong. The stock 993 exhaust (including Motorsound) is weak.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 PM
Jeff Crowley
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Get the III's

Just got the III's and haven't turned on the stereo in two weeks. They are not too loud and you can idle through your neighborhood.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 PM
gsholz
Intermediate

I have Fister IIIs for over a year now on our cab. The sound is just right during normal driving. Absolutely no drone and sounds amazing going under an overpass at full throttle.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:34 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crw

Thought?
oh, the other thing to consider is that if you send in your stocks to Darin, once you modify to the IIIs, you CANNOT go back to the IIs...and sourcing stock 993 mufflers is not easy anymore....I learned this the hard way
Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

I have the IIIs, motorsound airbox, no sound deadening around the engine, etc.

It's loud, but not overly so - I wish it were louder actually.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:03 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by crw

Thought?
Meet some of your local 993 owners.
listen to their exhaust.
decide what you like best.

you'll never make an informed choice on an aural experience by typing.

good luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:05 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I finally heard stage IIs at Cars & Coffee a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I got home, I ordered mine.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:54 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liggit
Hi Crw.

I have the Stage IIs and I think they are great. When cruising you hear hardly any sound at all inside the cab, (but am sure they sound nice outside - but not too loud) but on throttle and pulling away you get a nice throaty sound.

I would say they are very different to stock. I found stock were just kind of a drone, where as the Fisters you get the throatyness....

These sound links are a good representation...

Stock :
http://www.jpgroup.dk/media/PorscheS...?car=3&type=OE

Fister:
http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-993-stage-2

I haven't heard the IIIs in the flesh, but from your question, i think they may be too much. Have a listen to the sound clip on FDs site. For me the IIs are plenty loud enough without being OTT! I am sure with both there will be no drone, but I think the IIIs will deffo be louder than stock when cruising...

Cheers,
Lig.
Interesting; I think I actually like the stock sound better. To me, the stock exhaust is definitely more muted, but also more refined. The Fister sound is cool, but seems to be more appropriate on the track than on the street.

Quick Reply: Question RE: Fister mufflers