Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Stock Exhaust: Plenty Loud Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock Exhaust: Plenty Loud Enough?

I purchased a 95 993 Cab about a month ago. I've read many posts about folks changing out the stock exhaust for Fister and other aftermarket exhaust systems, apparently for a louder, more aggressive sound. I have to say, that this is the first car in a long while where I feel the stock exhaust is very nice and plenty loud enough! In fact, it were much louder, I think it would grow very tiring very quickly.

I'm wondering if having a Cabriolet (with the top up) still allows more sound in the cabin than a Coupe? You guys with Fister 3's and other after aftermarket exhausts don't get tired of the constant increased volume?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM
1st State 993
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

My coupe with Motor Sound is certainly loud enough for me.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st State 993
ditto.

It is really a matter of personal preference. I like the fact that Fister IIIs are so light however, taking weight off the back end is a good thing.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

My 993 (coupe) was stock w/ motorsound and I thought it sounded excellent. I thought the idea of "loudening" exhaust noise was cheesy and suited to grease heads and people with small man syndrome. Then I heard a 993 w/ Fister Stage III exhaust. Game over. I had to have them. I opted for Stage IIs myself and I love them.

Funny anecdote. My neighbor is a 65 year old guy who literally couldn't care less about cars. He recently asked if he could go for a ride in my car. I was shocked. In 3+ years, I've never seen the guy give even half a hoot about a car. "Which car?" I asked. "The one that makes that spectacular noise," he replied.

Seriously, call up Darin and place an order. I absolutely promise you that you won't regret it. If for some bizarre reason you do, there will literally be a queue of people on Rennlist willing to take them off your hands.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:55 AM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by 1st State 993
What is 'Motor Sound'?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock61
What is 'Motor Sound'?
A factory option that basically had drilled holes in the airbox. The effect is a slightly-louder-than-non-motorsound-exhaust-noise.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor sound option included louder mufflers as well as the drilled airbox.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM
branman
Intermediate

It's all a matter of perspective - what did you drive before the 993?

After getting out of my '66 big block corvette with side pipes my 993 with fister III's sounds downright refined...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:25 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Fister exhausts are pure magic. Listen to it and you'll change your mind.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

You sure you don't already have fisters or similar?

Stock exhaust is not very impressive.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

One issue I find with the louder pipes is coming into my neighbourhood and parking in my garage at night, especially if its really late. Stock or near stock mufflers (like with a LPMM) are great, but the Fister III's are too loud for my quiet neighbourhood, again at night.

For the turbo, I have tried a few combinations, and recently went back to pure stock because I felt like running the car in Stealth Mode for a while. Its great to be really quiet once in a while and still have the power, and when I pull up next to a cop, you do not get noticed (as much...). With the lift, I can swap the mufflers in 10 minutes, so I put on the mufflers that I want (like changing coats going out... ).

Working on the idea of the electric valve on the exhaust, that to me would be the ultimate. I know the exhaust on the Turbo can get really hot, so that may be an issue, but it would be cool to be able to fip a switch and tune the exhaust ... good winter project.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes Mike, in your two bay echo chamber garage, best to be respectful of the neighbours since we block up the lane (back alley) and surrounding streets with 993s at least once a year where most of us sport either IIs, IIIs, or their equivalents.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Beretta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You sure you don't already have fisters or similar?

Stock exhaust is not very impressive.
I was thinking the same. You must take the mufflers out and give them a close look to know that all the welding seam are factory made.

A skill welder, and exhaustbuilder, can really make such a good job you would'nt know somebody open it..
Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Beretta
I was thinking the same. You must take the mufflers out and give them a close look to know that all the welding seam are factory made.

A skill welder, and exhaustbuilder, can really make such a good job you would'nt know somebody open it..
Or something further up the chain, i.e. 100 cell cats or cross pipes would have an effect.

In listening to LuckyJ's fister IIs yesterday, I could swear that his car sounds louder than DcDude's former 96 with Fister IIIs did. I don't recall Chuck's car as being all that loud. Could be my memory as well, or loss of hearing on my part over the years.

I DO however believe that due to the manual process of building each Fister muffler, that there are bound to be some variations between individual units.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for a road car where we are bound by the laws of noise pollution and speed limits I cannot imagine needing more attention - stock is perrrrrfect

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust: Plenty Loud Enough?