Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Random....This ever happen to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 PM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Probably my favorite was a dad and son in a pickup that pulled up next to me and the dad said the boy loved it. He looked about 9 or 10. The dad said, "he loves the sound and the exhaust smell." I just smiled and said I've never heard that one before.

I run a no cat Fister II setup. So at redlights you can really smell the gas. It's a very sweet smell. Maybe because I run no eth hi test. It does smell good to me too!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are too many much more exotic cars in our area that my Porsche doesn't get much attention except by other fellow Porsche owners that know what they're looking at. The other day I got the Porsche wave from the owner of a Panamera!!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Once a handsome 20 something saw my wife in the 993 and yelled out 'marry me!". Seeing that my wife was approaching 50 at the time his outburst was well received.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
There are too many much more exotic cars in our area that my Porsche doesn't get much attention except by other fellow Porsche owners that know what they're looking at. The other day I got the Porsche wave from the owner of a Panamera!!
I like this about my 993. It flies under the radar of the uninitiated. When someone asks if it's fast, I modestly tell them it only has about as much horsepower as a new Honda Accord.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:41 AM
963K993
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Geowar
"picked it up for $3k". Please, share your story of the bargain of the century.
From my post a few years ago:

"I spotted a tiny legal ad in our local paper for a sheriff's auction one morning while drinking my coffee. One of the vehicles being auctioned was listed as a "1996 Porsche". I never owned a Porsche but hoped to one day so I decided to swing by the towing yard where the auction was to be held during my lunch break. It took some smooth talking but I managed to convince the lady at the counter to take me back into the warehouse to see the car despite the employee only policy. The place was full of junk. Old furniture, building materials and car parts covered the floor. After navigating through most of the junk, she pointed to the far side of the building and said "There it is. Cover it back up when you're done".

Covering the unmistakable shape of a Carrera with a whale tail were old beach towels, blankets and rags. I wasn't expecting much but the mere shape of the car got my heart going. I went straight to the back end and lifted the dirty old Disney Princess towel and there it was "Carrera RS". I had no idea what an RS was. I continued peaking around and never took all of the rags off in fear of someone else seeing the car. The car was spotless. I got the VIN #, checked the mileage (41,500) and left being sure to tell the lady that it's pretty dangerous in the warehouse and she shouldn't have let me back there. All I had to do now was keep my mouth shut.

I got home that night, ran the VIN and researched "RS". It became obvious that it wasn't an RS. KBB said it was worth $43,700 - about $23 more than I could afford for a toy. So I decided to go to the auction with $20K cash.

Me and 3 kids in their 20's registered at the auction. One kid bought a 328i for $13K. He said he couldn't afford a Porsche. Somehow, a rumor got started that there was a $41,000 lien on the Porsche. Having a car dealer for a buddy, I knew that wasn't true. We bid low and slow starting at $25 and increasing by $25. The last kid bailed out at $3K. I paid the cash, grabbed a receipt, slapped my buddy's dealer tag on the back and after fumbling with the lock-out, hauled @$$ before someone changed their mind.

When my wife got home, she had to park her Audi in the driveway where it remained for 2 years. She wasn't too happy at first but she got over it when I handed her the remaining $17K. The car now lives happily in it's own garage, terrorizes local streets on nice days and runs around the track a few time a year.

That's the story of my 963K993."

Sorry about the highjack.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:30 AM
teej
Advanced

i get it all the time and as long as they stay in their lane (they all don't) I am cool with it.

last saturday night i saw hid lights coming up on me, 997 turbo, pulled asked and he was loving my 993

in the mustang i get more comments from people with tattoos... just saying

the 912 gets it's share, but usually people who know vintage

the ford GT gets lots of attention along with "is that a ferrari?" or "really, it's a ford? no way"

the jag - well most people have no idea what it is, or they are just lost for words.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

I've received a few compliments while driving from Porschephiles in the know, which is surprising considering the area has a lot of higher priced cars driving around (Los Angeles/Orange County). I didn't expect that to happen.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

I purchased my car on the 5th of this month. It was in the shop getting a full front clear bra and clear plex on the windshield for over two weeks. That was a long two weeks.

Anyhow, I have had it two days. The first day, my wife and I were coming back to pick up my other car at the detail shop. Heading down the freeway. Some guy in a BMW pulls up along side me and starts pacing along side me. I look over and this guy has his windows down, he is darn near hanging in the passenger seat and we were doing 60 or so and he has got the biggest grin on his face and giving me the thumbs up. It was priceless.

Next day I had to come back to town to get the new headlight bulb sprayers installed and some guys ask if me if that is a "Carrera or a 911" I just said 911 they were like kids in a candy store. There was a guy in the Boxster behind me. They didn't say anything to him...

It's been a fun couple of days. I've met people and have had 20 min conversations with complete strangers. It really is a fun addition to just having the car.

993's rule!

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny_law; 09-20-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:40 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I get lots of thumbs ups and "nice car!" comments at gas stations or at red lights. Though, a few weeks ago some crusty, old man jackass asked: "Hey, is that your dad's car?!". I was stumped! What do you say to that? hahah..

Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
I get lots of thumbs ups and "nice car!" comments at gas stations or at red lights. Though, a few weeks ago some crusty, old man jackass asked: "Hey, is that your dad's car?!". I was stumped! What do you say to that? hahah.
You say, "Yes, it is. I just bought it for him."
Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
You say, "Yes, it is. I just bought it for him."
Ha, BURN! I'll say that next time!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:29 AM
kr994
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme

Oddly enough, people love to talk to me about my recently purchased 1999 VW Eurovan. Strange but true.

--Michael
1999 is not that old/new. You can still get the original, factory new T2 in Brasil:

For a few years, the VW Bus wasn't just available with the legendary air-cooled boxer engine, but also as a diesel (.) As a farewell gesture, VW will produce a final series of the bus in its former glory. The "Last Edition" commemorative series, consisting of only 600 buses, will be wearing the "skirt and blouse," as the Brazilians call the legendary luxury version from the 1960s and 70s. The model will even have curtains on the windows, and the only concession to modernity is an MP3 radio with a USB port. VW will charge 85,000 real, or about €27,000 for the collector's edition.

Brazil still produces the classic 56-year-old VW camper van, but not for much longer.

Quick Reply: Random....This ever happen to anyone?