Sponsored by:

Valentine 1 bluetooth connection

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valentine 1 bluetooth connection

Has anyone purchased the new V1 Bluetooth connection to be used with smartphones? Reading the marketing blurb it's not clear to me what the advantages would be. I downloaded the V1 app for iPhone, but of course it only has demo mode without the actual BT connection in place ($49)..
Old 09-11-2013, 09:51 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got one. I'll be using it today on a road trip. The advantage is that it shows whether or not the radar source is in the frequency that the police use, therefore allowing you to identify false alarms. You need to mount the phone where you can see it though. Unfortunately, I can only use the phone for the V1 or for my XM skydock. I bought an extension so that I could use it with the skydock and mount the phone where I could see it, but it doesn't work with the extension cord.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:41 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Well I tried it and I'm not impressed. I was driving with my top down and it is hard to see the screen on my phone. I'd have to say that I prefer the setup I've been using all along with the remote display between the tach and the speedo where it is in my field of vision. It was only $49 so no big deal.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:10 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:35 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

What did you think of it otherwise?

That is, if I purchased I'd be using it in a coupe with tinted windows and half the time driving after dusk. Also I'd be using it on a dedicated (retired) iPhone 4 that just serves as an iPod.

That would eliminate what I think were your major complaints. Would it be useful then?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:04 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

You need to mount the phone in your field of vision so you can see what the alert is without taking you eyes off of the road. The screen is very busy. You can download the app and see for yourself. It might just take some getting used to. I'll try it again since I make 3 road trips/month. There are more and more cars on the road with radar - blind spot detection etc. that generate false alarms. It's not terribly expensive either so go for it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:53 PM
techsis
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richardew
There are more and more cars on the road with radar - blind spot detection etc. that generate false alarms.
I need a product to eliminate the false positives caused by the new Audis on the road.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm not sure exactly how new you are referring to but I have a 2010 Audi S5 with the blind spot detection.

When I first put my V1 in there it was going berserk. Came to find out that it was the Audi Side Assist. Per the advice of V1, I disabled POP mode on the detector.

No more false alerts related to the Side Assist.

According to some research, the validity of which may be questionable, law enforcement in the states I travel do not utilize POP radar.

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 bluetooth connection