Sponsored by:

Just bought a 993... questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Oh, btw, the "holy grail" of the 993's are the Arena Red Turbos - don't ask me how i know that.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm in Manhattan, let me know when you are coming through.

No, 20 miles will not put the radio code into normal. For a '96 I assume you have a CR- or CDR-210 Give me the serial number and I'll send you the code. To get the serial number without removing the radio you need to perform the following procedure: Turn the radio on, press tone, then hold both the '0' & '8' buttons and release tone. The radio name will appear. Then scroll to PR-VERSION using the tuning arrow. Now you should be able to retrieve the serial number by selecting the station preset numbers. It will start with a W or an S.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"5. At 30,309 miles "recommended maintenance performed"."

Before you get down to the dealer to pick up the car, have them fax or E Mail the punch list of everything that was done on the "recommended maintenance" list. (Assuming they did the maintenance).
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 AM
sydneymark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apart from the good advice already given such as (the radio code made me laugh) ...as an owner of a 96 C2 Cab 6 speed I would mention ...

Check the roof ... open and close it several times when parked in a flat area with park brake on ...check the roof for any cuts especially near the edges where the cables run ..also it sits well into the locking cams on closing the roof

Repairs can be expensive and painful especially if the frame twists ... believe me its the weakest point of the 993 cab ...IMHO ...unless you want to go manual

Search and you will find plenty of threads on this issues with the roof

as you are living in state where we have no real winter like myself here in Aus ... you will want the roof down to hear that flat 6 symphony ..can't remember last time I put the radio or cdr 21 on
Old 09-04-2013, 01:55 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 993997
What is the deal with the DME relay? I haven't heard of this before but sounds like I need to check into it...

DME = stupid electrical part (basically a big fuse) that is prone to failing and will prevent you from starting your car. So, buy another one and leave it in the glove box. If your car doesn't start swap it out.

/
Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 122 Posts

On the spongy brake issue most people assume the master cylinder is the culprit (could be but not neccessrily) when it is in fact usually the ABS pump. On cars that have never had the brake fluid flushed the pumps fill up with this white, crystalline goo that you simply can't flush out of them. That leads to a nasty, spongy pedal. The fix is a new, rebuilt or known good used pump. This is a LOT more expensive than the master cylinder so I would make sure you are happy with the feel of the pedal post master cylinder repair before you accept the car.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

New Country is a reputable dealership - I bought and serviced a few of my Porsches from them - Ethan is a good guy and very thorough. My guess - there was some misunderstanding with respect to the radio code - could have been something else related and / or that the service writer misunderstood something regarding why the tech was driving the car.

Please, don't get all concerned about them putting 20 miles on the car - They own the car and could have put 500 miles on it if they wanted to. If you are worried about them joy riding in it once they made a deal with you, then you'd also worry they did the same for the last month and added 5000 miles onto it.

I would never buy any car without a PPI and it's never too late. The thing to do with this car is tell the dealership you want their normal Porsche CPO form (attached) filled out as a form of PPI. I've had them and other dealers do it in the past - we all know this car isn't CPO, but the check list is a good one to follow for condition of the car.

And yes, part of the deal should be that they perform the 30,000 service, which is a fairly significant one. Looks like they already did it with the plugs, wires, etc. a few months ago. Just get the whole service record for that and make sure they did ALL of the items from a 30k including oil, brake fluid, filters, cabin filter, etc. They can also fill-out the Service Schedule (attached also).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche CPO Checklist.pdf (161.3 KB, 95 views)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, thanks for the super helpful insight and advice. I plan on contacting dealer today to discuss the brake/ABS and the maintenance items mentioned above. RonCT, I'm glad to hear you endorse the dealership. They seemed like good guys but on Friday when I came back by the dealership (to sign the purchase paperwork before hopping on flight back to Florida) the car was gone and I was told "they are driving it for 20 miles to put the radio code in. I guess I'll reach out to Service on that issue. Thanks again for the advice and the attached CPO and maintenance schedule. I'm excited to pick her up I just don't want to let the emotions get in the way of doing the proper homework on the car. This forum has been amazing in helping me
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 412 Likes on 258 Posts

Not to scare you - and I don't mean to imply this is actually happening, but:

A seller (dealer) could be driving the car to clear a check engine light. When you use a code reader to reset the check engine light, the car's sensors are in a yellow "readiness" state. After a certain amount of driving the sensors show green ("ready").

That would be my concern with a dealer driving the car for 20 miles. Not resetting the "radio code", instead "clearing a code".

/
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a great car... lots of excellent advice. If it makes you feel any better about the deal, I paid a he!! of a lot more last month for a '97 cab with 14K on it. It is an absolute pleasure to drive... I enjoy it more than the 964turbo!!
Enjoy the drive back home.

Gary
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome Good luck on your trip, and make sure you take lots of pictures and document it along the way. For more information on the DME Click Here.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 AM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got scared with the ABS pump - Spongy break issue stated by Nathan... I'm hypocondriac when symptoms are related to my 993!

Here's more information on the topic. From my understanding, the ABS pump will cause the break pedal to sink a little more ONCE you stopped. On my 993, the car is just not breaking as quick as I thought a Porsche would do - The pedal seems soft and it take time to stop.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-abs-pump.html
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
DME = stupid electrical part (basically a big fuse) that is prone to failing and will prevent you from starting your car. So, buy another one and leave it in the glove box. If your car doesn't start swap it out./
+993. It's about $50 so it's cheap insurance to always carry a spare (or two). BTW, congrats. GR cab + black interior = drool.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

bbs993tt, thanks for the compliments on my GR cab It's killing me being 1000's of miles away from her right now...

ps- Your Carrera GT and 993tt are also major DROOL!!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

The thing about the dealer checks is they have this assumption they do not have to do a compression or leakdown test - look at their checklist - and that the computer will tell them enough to know if there is a bad piston, etc. I would not purchase any 993 without, at a minimum, a compression test, and best is both compression and leakdown.

I have experienced this on my own personal purchases, and had to take the car to an indy (given it was several thousand miles away so I could not do it myself) for the appropriate checks.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Just bought a 993... questions!!