Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil pressure guage

can this be use as an indication if you ur low on oil
Old 08-29-2013, 12:49 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

It can, but by the point you might notice oil pressure dropping, engine damage is imminent. The oil level gauge and dipstick are provided to keep tabs on oil level.

To check the oil in a 911, warm the engine up to full operating temperature, and park on a level surface. Let the engine idle for a minute or so, and then read the dipstick (with the engine still running at idle). The ideal reading is about halfway between the two marks. This is a good time to see if the oil level gauge agrees with the dipstick—always trust the dipstick over the gauge.

The oil level gauge is also meant to be read only under the above conditions, such as when you are stopped at a traffic light. Under normal driving conditions, the gauge will fluctuate, and may often read in the red zone—just ignore it, because the oil level changes as the oil moves in and out of the tank.

Be careful not to overfill your 911 with oil. If you do, it will spit oil out in various places, including into the air intake, and make a lot of smoke.

When you change the oil in a 911, drain both the tank and the engine sump. Refill the oil tank with eight quarts, and bring the engine up to operating temperature. Then check the oil, and slowly add oil to bring the level up to the halfway point on the dipstick.

If you determine that the oil is overfilled, get a small fluid oil pump from your local auto parts store (Sta-Lube makes one for about $10), insert the suction tube into the oil filler neck, and push it down into the oil tank. Pump out the desired amount, and re-check the oil level. If you want to save the oil for reuse, pump it into a clean container.

Some Porsches, such as the 993, have a corrugated plastic oil filler extension tube in the filler neck. This tube has a strainer at the bottom end, which will not allow the insertion of a suction tube, so it must be removed. It just pulls out. This is a good time to inspect this tube to make sure it is not cracked or torn.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM
sptschoice
Pro

was referring to the oil pressure gauge....
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Duggie
Intermediate

The oil pressure gauge should never be used to read oil level, the oil level would have some bearing on the reading, but not to any accuracy that you could judge or depend on the reading given. Its a better guide to the condition of the engine, if you ever have to change the sender unit make sure you buy a genuine Porsche, I bought two after market ones and they both gave false readings.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose you could, if you're the kind of person who doesn't like handling dipsticks or looking at the oil level gauge but does enjoy rebuilding engines! Even then you wouldn't know if the lost oil pressure was a result of oil starvation or some other catastrophe. Don't use it to check oil level.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

For the oil pressure gauge to show that you were low on oil, you'd have to be almost OUT of oil and the loss of pressure would likely be disastrous. Your oil temperature, oil level, and oil pressure gauges should be carefully monitored; they are critical to the proper operation of your engine. You've been a member here since 2004... I wonder if you are joking?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK guys, this doesn't need any long explanations etc.... Here's the answer to the question (and this applies to other cars as well):

NO.
(Not everything needs to be a polite discussion... Saying that it can is practically the same as saying you can use bearing failure as an indication of low oil level )
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Let us know how the rebuild goes.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

I use the gauge to indicate when I should check the oil level with the stick.
If the oil is over filled the gauge is always pinned at full with the engine running, hot or cold.
If the oil gauge is as full when the engine is warm at idle and dips when driving oil is full.
If oil gauge sits below full even with the engine warm and running at idle. I check the oil level using the dip stick.
If the gauge is pinned at full or stays at the bottom the gauge, sender or wiring to it is bad.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I use the gauge to indicate when I should check the oil level with the stick.
If the oil is over filled the gauge is always pinned at full with the engine running, hot or cold.
If the oil gauge is as full when the engine is warm at idle and dips when driving oil is full.
If oil gauge sits below full even with the engine warm and running at idle. I check the oil level using the dip stick.
If the gauge is pinned at full or stays at the bottom the gauge, sender or wiring to it is bad.
Wrong gauge
Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a trick question -- right?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 PM
sptschoice
Pro

since I'm not a expert I just asked the question for information purposes I check my oil level using the dipstick as everyone else.

Quick Reply: oil pressure guage