Sponsored by:

Plz Help...On-Board Computer readout fading

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Plz Help...On-Board Computer readout fading

As indicated my OBC (the digital readout that tells you MPH, average fuel consumption, outside temperature etc) started fading last night. It is getting hard to read now as it's not as bright. Anybody else have this problem? Easy fix?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hey there... I had the exact same issue on my '97 Targa at 57k miles....all I did was replace the bulb behind the OBC display and viola, the readout was bright and clear as new!

I was replacing my stalks so had the steering wheel off during the repair....
you just get a flat head screw driver, wrap a towel around it and gently nudge the tach instrument..
the instructions I followed are here:

http://www.porschehvac.bergvill.com/

I am no mechanic but I thought it was fairly easy...the bulbs ordered from Sunset...think there was 1 blue and 4 yellow bulbs behind there, don't remember if it was 4 blue or 1 yellow...but Sunset will help out...you only need to change one for the OBC but since I had it opened, I replaced all of them...cost was around $4/$9 respectively...

good luck and lmk if you need any help...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts

Parnelli, you might have a simple issue of a blown backlight bulb, or you could have a problem with a internal transistor in the tachometer.
Thanks for the link luckyJ, here's a more direct URL: http://www.bergvillfx.com/obcrepair.html
Cheers,
Tore

Quick Reply: Plz Help...On-Board Computer readout fading