Lowering my 993

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 AM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lowering my 993

Hi,

I want to lower my 993, i think it is still original, question is what options do i have? I have read that US spec cars are about 2cm's higher then European spec cars?

Thanks,
Arthur
Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try the search function and you will find your answers. There is no one simple answer. My opinion is the best option out there for general driving (not a race car) is the Koni FSD with the Porsche OEM M033 springs (rest of world ride height). I got the shocks for around $830 from Tirerack and the springs for $299 from a Porsche dealership parts department for a total of about $1129 (prices vary).

Some of the search hits will show the ride height "before and after". ROW height looks just right to me - I'll find out once my OEM shocks give up and I finally swap.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:11 AM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arthur,

You have a generous number of options. As suggested you can use a quality aftermarket damper like Koni or Bilstein in conjunction with MO30 or MO33 springs as well as aftermarket springs from companies such as Eibach, H&R, or B&G. If you want more options there are coilover kits from the likes of Bilstein, KW, Cross and others.
The result you're looking for and budget will help you decide. See if you can find other owners with different setups that you may be able to get a ride in for comparison. Many great modified 993s here in the Bay Area with as many helpful owners. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Porsche70T
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my novice experience. The previous owner installed H&Rs over the stock shocks which had about 17,000 miles on them at the time. This had several advantages. First, it lowered the car about as far as you would want to go and looked great. Second, it's inexpensive. Third, it lets you try a stiffer ride and expereince the care needed to avoid scrapping the bottom front. Fourth, it let's you keep your original shocks until they fail. If the shocks need replacement now or will soon, the better solution might be a set of coilovers for which I agree with others that researching Search and connecting with some fellow Rennlisters to exerience the ride would be most helpful.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:59 AM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have written an article on 993 suspension options.It covers factory options and most chosen upgrades including the ride heights for USA and ROW models.

Just follow this link below:

993 Suspension uncovered

Enjoy,
Guy
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by avdwaal1
Hi,

I want to lower my 993, i think it is still original, question is what options do i have? I have read that US spec cars are about 2cm's higher then European spec cars?

Thanks,
Arthur
Here's what you get w/ stock suspensions

What you do depends on what you want out of the car, Bilstein B6 and PSS are popular options, PSS is a complete system that includes springs and perches for an easy bolt on, B6 needs springs and perches most commonly oe M030 or M033. If you buy oe springs be sure to get RoW versions or you won't get lowering. Additionally B6 is an old design spring that can greatly benefit for revalving to a digressive setup which is what the newer design shock come w/ stock.

Bilstein has come out w/ a new line which I believe is an updated B6, it may come w/ digressive valving(it probably does but you would need to check) and it comes in 2 versions, Sportline and Prokit, w/ springs and perches. Which to use depends on your goals

When you get down to around RS height you need to be thinking about changing wheel carriers to the RS versions too. It all gets very expensive the lower you go
Old 08-30-2013, 12:09 AM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tnx everyone. I went with M033 and koni FSD.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 AM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Arthur,

One last thought. After you install the parts and its time to go get it aligned, be absolutely certain that the shop is familiar with Kinematic toe or go elsewhere. At least one shop I can recommend is Custom Alignment in Mountain View, no affiliation. The guy there that does the alignments is very good (sets up Jerry Woods race cars on weekends).
Old 08-30-2013, 04:28 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche70T
Here's my novice experience. The previous owner installed H&Rs over the stock shocks which had about 17,000 miles on them at the time. This had several advantages. First, it lowered the car about as far as you would want to go and looked great. Second, it's inexpensive. Third, it lets you try a stiffer ride and expereince the care needed to avoid scrapping the bottom front. Fourth, it let's you keep your original shocks until they fail. If the shocks need replacement now or will soon, the better solution might be a set of coilovers for which I agree with others that researching Search and connecting with some fellow Rennlisters to exerience the ride would be most helpful.
Its prolly not a good idea to keep your original shocks till they fail. Its been fairly well documented that the OEM Monroe may be good for the first 30k miles of thier life. For safety reasons, you'd want to change prior to failure.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

My car is at Jerry Woods getting HR springs installed and a proper alignment. I highly recommend JWE for all your Porsche work. They are busy, but worth any inconvenience.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+++ Custom Alignment in Mtn. View!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:18 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The attached may interest you. The key is to not to lower the car to the point where the suspension can not be set to factory alignment specifications. Probably something near the ROW OE spring height at the lower end. Be sure to measure the front and rear height at the proper location as outlined in the shop manual.
Andy
Attached Images
Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Can you post some pics of the new ride height?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Its prolly not a good idea to keep your original shocks till they fail. Its been fairly well documented that the OEM Monroe may be good for the first 30k miles of thier life. For safety reasons, you'd want to change prior to failure.
On top of that, it's silly not to do it at once, so you align and CB at once. Lastly, shocks that are well worn at one ride height, probably wont adapt to a new lower height. Not a good idea to keep old shocks at all.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

I had my FSD'S installed at FD Motor sports and the alignment done at Borrelli motor sports in San Jose. Couldn't have been happier with either choice. Highly recommend both shops!

Quick Reply: Lowering my 993