Sponsored by:

Scam or simple craziness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Scam or simple craziness?

...You be the judge. As I read this post, I thought I had been sucked into an episode of The Twlight Zone...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-993-awds.html
Old 08-17-2013, 02:20 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 392 Posts

Some people are obsessives about having everything factory original. I don't get it myself but whatever floats his boat. Great deal if they aren't already sold.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:47 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by pirahna
Some people are obsessives about having everything factory original. I don't get it myself but whatever floats his boat. Great deal if they aren't already sold.
Maybe...Or simply just dont know any better.
Who would want to ruin a perfectly good 993tt with a set of KW Variant 3 coilovers, when you can pay good money for a set of crappy Monroe's?
"Obsessive" is not the word I'd use in this instance.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian a scammer? I hope not, I just bought his 993TT and he was great to deal with. Honest to a fault.

He mentioned he felt the ride was too rough for his DD.
Sure, I don't see many (ok none )other 993 swapping back to original Monroes from a setup like this....but 1 man's trash is another man's treasure.

Smoking deal for someone!
Old 08-17-2013, 03:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love all the suspension experts there (and here)...............

Other than OE ride height (which really doesn't have anything to do with valving), I'd love to hear from someone what specifically is wrong with the Monroes. For street use. Printout from a shock dyno, anyone?

Even if you get to track use, guess what--my 4S was no quicker around Thunderhill post PSS9 install from replacing 125K OE stuff. Could I do a couple of things differently? Sure. But it wasn't faster around the track. (And a PSS9 kit is a pretty poor performer on track. No way, no how would I go that route again, even on how I use that car.)

Now, I wouldn't do similar, and I probably wouldn't suggest this course of action to any customer. But I get why the guy might have decided to go this route, and I think it reflects poorly to criticize him.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:17 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What am I missing? Why won't these work on the 2wd cars?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Love all the suspension experts there (and here)...............

Other than OE ride height (which really doesn't have anything to do with valving), I'd love to hear from someone what specifically is wrong with the Monroes. For street use. Printout from a shock dyno, anyone?

Even if you get to track use, guess what--my 4S was no quicker around Thunderhill post PSS9 install from replacing 125K OE stuff. Could I do a couple of things differently? Sure. But it wasn't faster around the track. (And a PSS9 kit is a pretty poor performer on track. No way, no how would I go that route again, even on how I use that car.)

Now, I wouldn't do similar, and I probably wouldn't suggest this course of action to any customer. But I get why the guy might have decided to go this route, and I think it reflects poorly to criticize him.

I admit to a bit of confusion here. I just replaced my stock shocks with a PSS10 system and I have to tell you it feels like night and day. I have no hard data to back this up, but the difference is not subtle, so I'm quit surprised that it would make no difference pn the track, i.e. no quantifiable improvement. Very interesting.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purely curious on the statement:

**And a PSS9 kit is a pretty poor performer on track. No way, no how would I go that route again, even on how I use that car.**

I value your opinion. I'm now choosing between Bilstein HD/M03X or PSS10s. Not planning on tracking the 993TT.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by serval
I admit to a bit of confusion here. I just replaced my stock shocks with a PSS10 system and I have to tell you it feels like night and day. I have no hard data to back this up, but the difference is not subtle, so I'm quit surprised that it would make no difference pn the track, i.e. no quantifiable improvement. Very interesting.
Of course it FEELS totally different. It's not wobbling around under transient maneuvering (aka "handling"). Differentiate this from grip. I learned much in the heyday of Showroom Stock racing of the '80s into the '90s. Some of those guys could work pure magic with near POS unchanged-from-the-factory cars merely having R compound tires installed. Razor sharp precision because you couldn't change a damn thing mid-corner. Get it wrong, you'd scrub off speed and lose 1-2 seconds on your lap.

So let's put that in context of what I said about my 4S. Running the same semi-dead Hoosiers, the car was good for (in my hands) ~2:07 at Thunderhill (Full) either way. (Yellow car, a wholly different animal, is a sub-2:00 car on equal tires.) It certainly wasn't as pleasurable to drive what effectively was a wallowing pig, but you could get the job done.

Ultimately, the way most everyone is relating this "night and day" transformation is in context of what I'd say is a 2:30 lap. Because if you're hanging it out there any harder on the street..............well...............

Originally Posted by Tony.CO
Purely curious on the statement:

**And a PSS9 kit is a pretty poor performer on track. No way, no how would I go that route again, even on how I use that car.**

I value your opinion. I'm now choosing between Bilstein HD/M03X or PSS10s. Not planning on tracking the 993TT.
I'm sure I've somehwat answered above. Final comment would be ANY of the front-line products will work fine on a street-to-mid level track driving level. But for me, at this point in my life I'm fussy about what I want a car to do given its intended purpose. The way the yellow car is equipped is pretty much the minimum I enjoy if I'm turning a single lap on track. That means a competition level damper, period.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, there is so much misinformation on the web!, remember, people are usually replacing worn shocks, and they can go bad for lots of use on no use at all. How many guys here has bought a 993 new when they were available back then at the showroom floor? I did, in 96' I bought a 993tt, and handling wise it was pure magic, I drove it 20K miles before I sold the car and still handled solid. So, of course there is new tech floating around with all these brands, and yes it probably will make it handle better.(Although the OEM's are double the price than any of the above mentioned brands!), but for some nothing beats OEM., cheers.
sonny1.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 PM
nine9six
Banned

I'm still searching for the logic in paying additional $$$ to remove a very capable suspension package to install Monroes.

Bottom line is the KW's could have been softened to suit the owners needs.

Alot of what Ken is saying is apples and oranges, and has narry a thing to do with the apparent lack of logic in the swap and/or spent dollars to do so.

...No amount of defense changes this simple fact, but here is proof positive that some will try.

Even if you get to track use, guess what--my 4S was no quicker around Thunderhill post PSS9 install from replacing 125K OE stuff
Sorry, I dont see this as a boasting point, and it is never one thing that makes a car work on the tranck; its a culmination of the entire package that works together. Surely you should realize this in your infinite wisdom, right Ken?

(Although the OEM's are double the price than any of the above mentioned brands!), but for some nothing beats OEM
Sonny, I'm sure you meant to say OEMs are half the price.

Peace out...

Last edited by nine9six; 08-17-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:26 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I'm still searching for the logic in paying additional $$$ to remove a very capable suspension package to install Monroes.

Alot of what Ken is saying is apples and oranges, and has narry a thing to do with the apparent lack of logic in the swap and/or spent dollars to do so.

...No amount of defense changes this simple fact, but here is proof positive that some will try.

Sorry, I dont see this as a boasting point, and it is never one thing that makes a car work on the tranck; its a culmination of the entire package that works together. Surely you should realize this in your infinite wisdom, right Ken?

Sonny, I'm sure you meant to say OEMs are half the price.

Peace out...
Nope, a Monroe shock replacement is hovering at $650.00 each,that is without springs and other hardware, costing about $1500.00 more, $2600. in shocks, for a total of $4100.00, amazing!.
sonny1.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Attachment 753607Based on this thread, I have a '96 C4S with 29k miles, all stock. Assuming the OEM Monroes are still functioning, my beginning project is to only just lower the car (or not) as I'm not really into tracking the car yet. (Been there with a 996TT @ Thunderhill, (Ken), with PCA a few yrs back, lotsa fun)!
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six

Only if the springs are soft enough. Softening compression of the shock wrapped in a heavy enough spring will give a very poor ride as the entire system will feel underdamped. And harsh.

The issue is that almost none of us had any real experience with brand new Monroes on a 993. Almost, as I've heard of a few people replacing their suspension with M033 package with brand new Monroes. I honestly can't comment on how good they might be. I do feel that KWs can be pretty stiff for a street driven car. Heck, my HDs with M030s are harsh for a street driven car. BTW, I believe that HDs are also 15-20 year old technology. At least I've had very similar Bilsteins on my E30s in early 2000s and they weren't new tech back then.

So I see no issue with a guy replacing them with something softer. Now, should this guy be the owner of a 993TT? Probably not, thus he already sold it to Tony by the looks of it.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:45 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Guys, I believe there was a $800 or so total package from Porsche consisting of 4 Monroes and M033 springs. Not sure it's available now but certainly was available a year or two ago. Which makes it much more digestible.

Quick Reply: Scam or simple craziness?