Sponsored by:

Scam or simple craziness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Only if the springs are soft enough. Softening compression of the shock wrapped in a heavy enough spring will give a very poor ride as the entire system will feel underdamped. And harsh.
I think this statemememt is fairly obvious to anyone who has even a remote understanding of suspension; but I fail to grap how this is germain to the topic.

I'm not sure what some of you are reading into this, but it seems you have added heavier springs to the equation; for what reason?

I dont recall the discussion including HD springs to the set of KW's...Maybe they were swapped out for the purpose of this reply?
More apples and oranges.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
...You be the judge. As I read this post, I thought I had been sucked into an episode of The Twlight Zone...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-993-awds.html
pretty sure these are sold.
i tried to buy them > 6 weeks ago and was told they were gone.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Guys, I believe there was a $800 or so total package from Porsche consisting of 4 Monroes and M033 springs. Not sure it's available now but certainly was available a year or two ago. Which makes it much more digestible.
$999 delivered from Sunset ~ 18 months ago.
I bought the last set and subsequently sold unused to another RLer.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I think this statemememt is fairly obvious to anyone who has even a remote understanding of suspension; but I fail to grap how this is germain to the topic.

I'm not sure what some of you are reading into this, but it seems you have added heavier springs to the equation; for what reason?
You've mentioned that KW3s can be soften enough for a soft street ride to suit this particular driver. I am saying that only shock compression of this coilover can be soften. The springs on it are what they are. If they are too stiff for this particular driver and his intended use, there's no way he can soften the entire suspension enough to be happy. This is why Ken mentioned dyno curves for the shocks. We don't know what they are and fow well they are mated to given springs.

I assume he's tried to soften the shocks and failed to get ride quality that suits him. Maybe he has hemorrhoids, I don't know. I'm just not sure that Monroe is that bad a shock for the street - I simply don't have experience with a fresh Monroe. I know they don't last at all and the company generally makes crappy products, granted. I'm just not sure the guy knew that when he was making his decisions. But I do somewhat understand the reasoning for his decision. Even if I would not go that way.

PS. I don't get hard (pun intended) about adjustable coilovers. I've had several different ones on my autocross car. None has been much fun on the street. I've come to a conclusion that what I want for any street car is a set of decent non-adjustable shocks well mated to springs.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
nine9six
Banned

You've mentioned that KW3s can be soften enough for a soft street ride to suit this particular driver. I am saying that only shock compression of this coilover can be soften. The springs on it are what they are. If they are too stiff for this particular driver and his intended use, there's no way he can soften the entire suspension enough to be happy. This is why Ken mentioned dyno curves for the shocks. We don't know what they are and fow well they are mated to given springs.

I assume he's tried to soften the shocks and failed to get ride quality that suits him. Maybe he has hemorrhoids, I don't know. I'm just not sure that Monroe is that bad a shock for the street - I simply don't have experience with a fresh Monroe. I know they don't last at all and the company generally makes crappy products, granted. I'm just not sure the guy knew that when he was making his decisions. But I do somewhat understand the reasoning for his decision. Even if I would not go that way.

PS. I don't get hard (pun intended) about adjustable coilovers. I've had several different ones on my autocross car. None has been much fun on the street. I've come to a conclusion that what I want for any street car is a set of decent non-adjustable shocks well mated to springs.
That is NOT what I said...What I stated is in type. Here let me help you...

This,
Bottom line is the KW's could have been softened to suit the owners needs.
Is not this,
You've mentioned that KW3s can be soften enough for a soft street ride to suit this particular driver.
I dont see, "for a soft street ride" in my quote, do you?

The guy definitely sounds inexperienced and probably should have never been in a 993tt to start. Also, he was selling the car, and with the exception of yourself and a few others who have tried to defend a not so brilliant move; most buyers (9 outta 10) would, if given a choice, prefer the rebuildable, adjustable lightly used KW Variant 3's, over NEW monroes.

You paraphrase and paraphrase, followed by maybe, maybe, maybe; but you have no valid point, so please stop trying to make one up, where none exists!

Quite honestly you remind me of a saying that goes something like; Its better to sit quietly and be thought a fool...

Stick a fork in me...I'm done wasting time on what has turned into mindless drivel.

Last edited by nine9six; 08-18-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm still searching for the logic in paying additional $$$ to remove a very capable suspension package to install Monroes.

Bottom line is the KW's could have been softened to suit the owners needs.

Alot of what Ken is saying is apples and oranges, and has narry a thing to do with the apparent lack of logic in the swap and/or spent dollars to do so.

...No amount of defense changes this simple fact, but here is proof positive that some will try.

Sorry, I dont see this as a boasting point, and it is never one thing that makes a car work on the tranck; its a culmination of the entire package that works together. Surely you should realize this in your infinite wisdom, right Ken?
My point on the original was that *I* wouldn't get in an owner's face about how wrong/financially dumb the move he made was in going back to parts as delivered on a street car.

I'm not even sure how to respond to the final sentence. I'll just defer that you probably have an idea what works for you, given decades of personal experience + professionals whose input you've incorporated.

Here's the funny thing about 993s circa 1996--when we started seeing them out. The first adopters coming from 964s were SIGNIFICANTLY faster. Stock (with similar R compounds, of course). I even remember a guy with a cab smoking me in my farily well developed torsion bar car, where only my one customer in a warmed over RSA, plus another guy who club raced his, were out of my reach.

Another funnyism was getting schooled down at Willow in my '92 C4. Maybe the name Don Dicker rings a bell--at that time a salesman a McKenna. It had been years since I'd run Willow, so I'm following him around with him driving a 9932S. Stock, except for Hoosiers and RS roll bars. He's just amazingly quick through 2, and I notice no brake lights. Talk to him after, and he says no you don't brake for 2. Well, I tried. I almost ended up on I-5 near Magic Mountain..............
Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

All is good now.

Last edited by nile13; 08-18-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:30 PM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow a real storm in a tea cup

The guy got his monroes on his 993, so he's happy
Someone else got a good deal on some kw's, so he's happy
All parties are happy

So why all the animosity
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM
nine9six
Banned

Wow. Just wow. I'll quote it here for posterity just in case.

To say I'm surprised is not to say much at all. I counted you as one of the sane people here.
My apologies to you; ditto on the category counting.

And to Ken, who somehow turned a post about what I believed to be a not so well thought suspension change; into, who and what was faster on a race track on a given day and time, with no other significant variables.
I may not race a car, but I do know a thing or two about suspension, and a fast line around a track. For a few years, I tracked bikes at both Willow tracks, and have since parted with my 996.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap this thread got off course.

Look, I'm the guy that ended up with the stock Monroes riding baja level and I'm still smiling.

I invoke Rodney King clause and I would like to officially apologize to everyone on behalf of everyone. I was born with this face so its not my fault.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony.CO

Look, I'm the guy that ended up with the stock Monroes riding baja level and I'm still smiling.

I invoke Rodney King clause and I would like to officially apologize to everyone on behalf of everyone. I was born with this face so its not my fault.
Winner, post of the Summer, Rennlist 993, cheers.

(although, it would have been even better if there were tell-tale donut trails all around the background image of your cul-de-sac.)
Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 AM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony.CO

Beautiful car!

Congrats on your purchase!

Quick Reply: Scam or simple craziness?