Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My interior is falling apart. Any suggestions on where to get seat & door parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default My interior is falling apart. Any suggestions on where to get seat & door parts?

Not exactly the most compelling, sexy and interesting thread, but the plastic part on my driver's seat has fallen off (1 of them)

and the the passenger seat plastic part is loose. I can get my finger in between the loose seat part and the vinyl on the seat it's supposed to attach to.

I brought it in to my indie and he didn't know where to source this part (s).

Also, where they put the new speaker on the passenger door, the whole carpeted panel is loose and needs to be tightened up. It actually comes loose in harder driving. Not good. The stereo shop closed and my indie isn't sure how to fix it.

Any suggestions on where to go in the Rockville MD area to get this stuff fixed? (other than the stealer?)

Here's what it looks like:

I mentioned to my indie that there's an upholster shop in Rockville called Adler Mandel and maybe they can fix the loose speaker panel on the door. He he doubted they could/would fix it. Haven't called them yet but maybe I should.

Their website says this: "Adler & Mandel is one of the largest automotive trim repair and aftermarket restyling companies in the area and is still run by the Mandel family, who continue to serve their customers with uncompromising quality and service.
Chances are your dealer or mechanic already keep us as their secret, why pay their mark up on our services? Bring us your car directly for all you convertible top, sunroof, and auto interior needs. By choosing Adler & Mandel to service your automative needs, you're choosing an established family operated business with over 65 years of experience and offering a No Hassle Warranty On Everything We Do For You!"
http://www.adlerandmandel.com/

If not them, where? Do I need to buy a whole speaker/carpeted panel where the speaker is or it is a broken clips issue of some sort? From a "junk yard"? A "parts place"? I'm guessing my indie can do this install if I can source it.

I try to keep the car in nice condition and this stuff is really bothering me. The indie said he'd try to source the plastic seat part but didn't have any luck. I found this on an old Rennlist post so the seat parts seem to be 8, 9 and 10 and maybe some more part #'s. Do you guys have these parts failing on your cars too?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:06 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1) Regarding your seat plastic hinge cover, they are a weak point on our cars. I found the easiest (and cheapest new) is at Sunset Imports in Oregon. You'll see that a lot of us use them for dealer parts. When you replace this part, make sure that you get the backside tab to insert properly into the hinge to give it proper support. Also, be careful not to overtighten the screws as this can crack the plastic.

2) The answer to your second question is not as simple. The hi-fi speaker door option on our cars has this larger cover that you showed. It is held in place just below the handle by two tabs (see arrow #1 in pic 1). However, in order for the cover to effectively be held in this position, the cover is also held by another tab in same cover just below the door handle (see arrow #2 in pic 1). This second slot tends to break and then the covers fall out of the top tabs.

The way I fixed this was to reinforce the weak plastic just below the door handle on our covers with thick plastic epoxy and redrill this slot. (see pics #2 and #3 for this).
Attached Images    
Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve,
The seat parts are EASY to fix...2 screws. The one on your passenger side might just need tightening...take a phillips screwdriver to it, there are 2 holes that should have screws. Call Sunset Imports in Portland, OR, get the Porsche parts dept and they can help you with the parts. These aren't expensive parts. You can find the part numbers here:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/

I've got that same loose speaker cover, but haven't gone after fixing that yet. Its going to be a few loose/missing screws, so no major surgery I'm sure. Open up the door pocket and see if you can spot some missing screws.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:57 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Andreas
Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 AM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, For the plastic part on the seat, partsheaven has them for only 13$ each.

http://www.partsheaven.com/Default.asp
Old 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably have a few of those plastic covers laying around for $15 including shipping. Let me check and I will shoot you a PM within the hour; I need to make sure they are in good condition.

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't find them! Must have lost them or tossed them when I moved out of my shop.

Last edited by Benton; 08-09-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

13 cents? $15? I'm there! I'll check the resources you suggested and get them ASAP.

I LOVE Rennlist!

Steve
Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of pro tips for Steve: 1) every car part has a part number, this is how it's identified for repair and purchase. 2) There are businesses that specialize in selling car parts. They can look up part numbers if you can describe for them what part you need ("the plastic trim that covers the hinge of a 993 seat").

Might be worthwhile to pass this valuable info on to your indie, who appears not to know it either. Not sure how he fixes cars for a living without knowing how to source parts, but that's between you and him.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

I just replaced all my seat hinge covers. 30 mins tops. Plastic they're made from is nasty brittle crap.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve,
Another watch shot. It's been so long....
Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doberdog
Steve,
Gosh that gave me a good laugh. It was not intentional but I was counting the hours till someone mentioned it. A classic funny moment for me.

Ok, getting back to brass tacks. Sunset charges... are you ready for this? $43 for that little plastic piece. Parts Heaven? Not 13 cents but $15 for a used one that's in "good shape", so I bought that one and will treat myself to a nice $28 meal from the money I saved.

He said he'll scrounge up a screw and nut for me for this.

Yahoo! I'll run the other bit of info by my indie to fix the speaker box area, too.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 AM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by doberdog
Steve,

Plt. YM!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:26 AM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my drivers side seat sitting in the garage if you are interested in buying a whole black seat. Wasn't used by me since I had a recaro before the car was stolen. PM me if interested.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:17 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
Fu*cing hilarious!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 PM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Gosh that gave me a good laugh. It was not intentional but I was counting the hours till someone mentioned it. A classic funny moment for me.

Ok, getting back to brass tacks. Sunset charges... are you ready for this? $43 for that little plastic piece. Parts Heaven? Not 13 cents but $15 for a used one that's in "good shape", so I bought that one and will treat myself to a nice $28 meal from the money I saved.

He said he'll scrounge up a screw and nut for me for this.

Yahoo! I'll run the other bit of info by my indie to fix the speaker box area, too.
Did you figure out the part for the plastic bit that's missing in your first two photos? I am missing the right one on the passenger side.

Quick Reply: My interior is falling apart. Any suggestions on where to get seat & door parts?