993 Forum 1995-1998

Clearplex Windshield Protection Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:46 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Clearplex Windshield Protection Installed

Just a quick report on the installation of the Clearplex 993 window protection that was installed on my car today.

The kit was very complete with everything needed to install the film - right down to great instructions and the soap already in the spray bottle that holds the slip solution. Really great instructions and a well thought out kit.

I elected to have two Xpel (clearbra) film guys stop over and install the window protection for me and it went pretty smooth.

The film has to be trimmed, but surprisingly not on the bottom as shown in the video, but on the curved lower portion of the windshield - we elected to trim the right side as there was just too much material. It was a bit difficult to do this on the curve but it came out looking good. I think the pattern should be refined for a better fit.

After that the install went smooth and the finished product looks good - a few small edges have yet to lay down, the clarity is superb and there is about 1/8" reveal around the entire windshield from the Clearplex to the trim seal.

Here is a great video that describes perfectly the procedure.

For anyone in the Upstate NY (Syracuse) area that wants to have this done, you can email me and I will send put you in contact with the guys that did my windshield.

m.capocefalo@aainy.com

Overall I'm happy with the install and how it looks. We'll see what the maintenance is like and how it holds up.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Nice. Thanks for sharing Mike. So, will those few edges flatten over time or thats it?
Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

P-Daddy,

I think the edges will lay own. The installer said there is some moisture trapped under the edges and they should dry out. They left me a tool to push the edges down. Even if it stays as is it is barely noticeable.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:57 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Thanks Mike! I watched the video in its entirety. The installation looks like fun.

I'm looking forward to a long-term report from you with respect to how the film does after a few washings as well as if there are any scratches in the swept areas where the windshield wipers track.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I'm looking forward to a long-term report from you with respect to how the film does after a few washings as well as if there are any scratches in the swept areas where the windshield wipers track.
Ditto.

Andreas
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM
acrabtree0536
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am anxious for some time to ho bye and check in for a report.

Any UV protection ?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Monkey Brain
Advanced

Definitely interested in long term results and UV protection. The brutality of the AZ summer sun is so difficult to get through. Not to mention what it's doing to the interior of the P-baby.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^MB I just had a clear product installed on the inside of my windshield that is supposed to provide 97% UV filtration. I'll post the specifics as soon as the installer send me the invoice.

Gary
Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM
osugasman
Racer

So the heat gun didn't remove all the curled up edges like the video shows? I had a similar product placed on rear quarter panel after a respray and the part that lifted up never settled down, would collect water with washes and dirt at other times. I finally cut it back to a good seal portion to make it go away.

Video seemed to be pretty clear that all areas should have resolved by end of install. (I'm getting ready to DIY this probably this week so am interested in the feedback.)
Old 07-30-2013, 03:44 AM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Default ClearPlex info from Precision Autowerks

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback and interest. ClearPlex provides 98% UV protection. Additionally, pitting and crack protection is phenomenal. Check out ClearPlex.com for video demos.

As for the edges, a sharp stainless blade cut and trim can help avoid those issues.

ClearPlex Inc allows me to resell for them on the forums for over 20% off their retail website price! If you have further questions, contact me at pawparts@gmail.com.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 PM
osugasman
Racer

Gus,

What is the ClearX HD solution for and how do we apply it?
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

My windshield has a good crack (lower edge drivers side, below the wipers) and is fairly pitted, but still OK at 45k miles.

When I eventually replace with new glass, this type of product makes a lot of sense. Looking to hear how it works out over time as well.

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: Clearplex Windshield Protection Installed