Sponsored by:

My first 993 diy oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Bruce, how old is your Form-A-Funnel and how often have you used it, formed it?

I was thinking of getting one, but then came across many reports of them de-laminating...the plastic covering coming off the lead sheet.
It's new, I've only used it one time. Can't say how long it will last.

I bought the $20 model, they have short and longer versions.

Checking the website they say the core is an aluminum alloy. Maybe they revised it to fix
the delamination issue.

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/pig-for...hop_by_product

-bruce

Last edited by bruce7; 07-26-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: add info on website and aluminum alloy core
Old 07-27-2013, 08:42 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I've used my form a funnel on a couple of other things and seems to hold up pretty good. If it makes it through 10 uses, it will have paid for its self in my mind. just my thoughts. I got the small one via amazon which was the best price at the time. 2 pre tax cents worth.

rob
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM
tian647
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Autozone OEM/Import car filter wrench Part Number: 25128

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc..._&number=25128

It will only remove the filter, and does a very good job of it.
It occurred to me I was negligent in passing along my appreciation for the reference - thank you, that tool worked great.

I completed my first 993 oil change in about 4.5 hours, although roughly 3 hours of that was spent waiting for the oil tank filler neck to drain so I could drizzle a bit more in and another hour cleaning off all the debris and patina, as it were.

The most useful tool I found was an empty jug of windshield washer fluid with the bottom cut off at an angle - it served very well in directing all the drained oil into the catch pan from both filters, the tank and the engine oil return line. In fact I was very pleasantly surprised I didn't spill more than a drop or two of oil after reading the stories told up this thread.

Christian
'95 Carrera
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Tim, near Boston
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another first timer here. Took advantage of an invite to use a buddy's new lift on Saturday (see the "Random 993 Picture" thread).

Managed to pretty much cover myself and the shiny new epoxy paint floor with oil splatter, most of it caused by splash out of the giant collector funnel sitting directly below the tank drain.

Used the p-car illustrated DIY, which was a fairly accurate guide. I did not remove the oil return line and had a bit of a bother extracting the engine filter as a result.

It might have helped to have read this post first ... or at least some of it I would not want to try this job using jack stands alone. About 2h 15m start-to-finish, including substantial time cleaning up various messes, playing with the dog, replacing spring washers on the gearbox cover fasteners, and messing around with other stuff in the new garage. I'd say completion in 1 hr, as mentioned in the DIY, would be a real accomplishment.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:20 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Third oil change, only a few drops escaped!
2 Tips to pass on:
Used newspaper last time for drips. Improved by using the disposable bed pad, has plastic on the back side. Oil leaked thru the newspaper last time. Got it as a gag gift for an "Over the hill" birthday party.
Next tip is a guess/question. Refill time, 8 quarts in, just started to overflow. Even waiting a few minutes between quarts. Here is the question. If I had the key on, wouldn't the oil level gauge peg full when it was about to overflow? Then you could do crank it a moment and then put the rest in?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I put in 7, crank the engine over without the DME relay, then continue filling. that way some of the oil gets into the engine and fills the filters, so the volume is not so high in the tank. Depending on the brand and weight of the oil (and I have done many many oil changes), the rate that the oil backs up in the filler seems to be dependant on the weight of the oil, with Brad Penn 20/50 being almost the worse so far...

Not sure what "overflow" means, you mean it was backing up the fill spout and stays there, or its just slow to fill? The oil level sensor is about 2/3 up the tank (you can see it when the fender liner is removed).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-29-2013, 02:14 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Mike,

You got it. I tried for 8 quarts before the crank over, and a little spilled out the filler neck.

My thought is since we are filling up the oil tank before we crank it over to distribute the oil, then continue filling, couldn't we prevent the spill over by watching the gauge, when it pegs, pull DME relay, crank over a few times, then finish with the remaining? thinking of this procedure because like you noticed, some oil may flow out of the tank better.

Or I am overcomplicating it, just put in 7, and proceed?

And thanks for all the work on your site!
Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I do not use the gauge when filling - with both filters, draining the main tank and sump, and dropping the feed line to gain access to the small filter, its very close to 10l. Given most bottles are US quarts, I put 9.5 - 10 in, run the car to op temperature, and do the final top-up with the engine fully warmed up, idling, level spot and using the dipstick, not the gauge....

I do the 7, crank the engine with no DME relay, then continue to fill.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:10 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Did an oil change last night and got my procedure down to 2hours (inclusive of OCD cleaning). Lot's of good tips in this thread; it deserved a bump! I'm still working on perfecting draining the oil with zero splash/spill from the tank and engine case.. I'm almost there, hopefully I'll have it down pat for the next change in the fall!

Old 06-03-2015, 01:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm done changing the oil on the air-cooled cars. Too much hassle, and the 993 is the worst of the bunch. So I have my mechanic do it now.

GT3 oil change is a breeze in comparison.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:45 PM
uniquenamehere
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jinbn
The 993 oil change is too much effort with the two oil filters. Makes the $200 charged by many indy repair facilities a bargain.
keep on trollin'

I found it rather easy, with the right tools and some patience.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,443 Likes on 836 Posts

Its really not that hard.

The only tricky part is the small filter, and after a few times, thats no big deal either.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Its really not that hard.

The only tricky part is the small filter, and after a few times, thats no big deal either.
ridiculous.

Originally Posted by ilko
I'm done changing the oil on the air-cooled cars. Too much hassle, and the 993 is the worst of the bunch. So I have my mechanic do it now.

GT3 oil change is a breeze in comparison.
This. ^
Old 06-04-2015, 09:02 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Kevin....

Am I reading your reply correctly? Bodymotion?

Mark
Old 06-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,443 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Kevin....

Am I reading your reply correctly? Bodymotion?

Mark
He's just kidding.

Quick Reply: My first 993 diy oil change