993 Forum 1995-1998

My first 993 diy oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tian647

Perhaps others have gotten different results but for me that URL pulls up a page containing nearly a dozen different style oil filter removal accessories.

Part number?

Thank you!

Christian Els
Kansas City
'95 Carrera
<Getting ready for my first DIY oil change on the 993>
Christian:

I went to autozone with the filters and bought a slip on filter socket that fit on the filters.

I found it easy to get them on and off with the generic tool unless someone drastically over tightened it on a previous change.

Don't bother spending a bunch of money on the Porsche tool. At least I didn't.

--Michael
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Autozone OEM/Import car filter wrench Part Number: 25128

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc..._&number=25128

It will only remove the filter, and does a very good job of it.

Originally Posted by tian647
Perhaps others have gotten different results but for me that URL pulls up a page containing nearly a dozen different style oil filter removal accessories.

Part number?

Thank you!

Christian Els
Kansas City
'95 Carrera
<Getting ready for my first DIY oil change on the 993>
Old 07-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I use one very similar to that to remove the filters - I have not had any issues with slippage, and I have used them on several 993's...
Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on a few other previous posts, I got the Craftsman 3 pronged wrench attachment (also mentioned in the OP) and it permits me to remove the small filter without removing the oil return line....a great advantage IMHO!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

there is no need to remove the oil line with the autozone tool either.

really not very difficult to get the small filter off, unless some asshat tightened it too much.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Just changed my oil yesterday. It gets easier over time. I leave that oil line on for the small filter as well. Between the 5 quart jugs of mobil 1 and the proper wrench for the filter- ive got it down to 45 mins. Beats paying the shop!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

I can never do an oil change under 3 hours. OCD cleaning as I'm going along
Old 07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I can never do an oil change under 3 hours. OCD cleaning as I'm going along
Agreed. I have to restrain myself every time.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I pull the oil line EVERY time I do a change - and I am doing lots of them these days. The primary reason is not clearance to the filter above, but to get out all the oil that I can, and a fair amount of oil is in the line and pump circuit that comes out. I am not sure why you guys do not do this, it takes like 10 seconds to undo the bolt and wiggle the oil line out. Never had a problem with leaks afterwards in the 12 years I have been doing oil changes on 993's.

To each his own I guess, but that 1/4 to 1/2 litre that is at the bottom of the the tank and oil line to me is significant enough to warrant the bit of extra work.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I pull the oil line EVERY time I do a change - and I am doing lots of them these days. The primary reason is not clearance to the filter above, but to get out all the oil that I can, and a fair amount of oil is in the line and pump circuit that comes out. I am not sure why you guys do not do this, it takes like 10 seconds to undo the bolt and wiggle the oil line out. Never had a problem with leaks afterwards in the 12 years I have been doing oil changes on 993's.

To each his own I guess, but that 1/4 to 1/2 litre that is at the bottom of the the tank and oil line to me is significant enough to warrant the bit of extra work.

Cheers,

Mike
This is what I do every time. Once I have spilled a little oil, what's a little more?
Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skim
All other steps I don't bitch about (tho the process is a lot more involved in any other cars I've worked on so far), but I still bitch about removing the passenger rear wheel and removing, lifting the inner wheel liner to gain access to the filter...
Have you tried changing the filter without removing the wheel? - I usually take it off because the car is on a lift, but I have done it also with the wheel in place. If you remove the lower screws, and the 10mm plastic retaining nut, you can peel the lower part of the liner away and get access to the filter. It's tight, but certainly doable.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheers,

Mike
One look at that flimsy and complicated little tube, with that flimsy little seal, coming into an aluminum block, I rather not mess with it and create a potential leak.

I still have nighmares about the never ending drip at the hard oil line joints in my former 964!!!!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It's not flimsy, and the trick is to use the tab on the tube to apply some pressure to remove the tube, and then wiggle it out with your other hand by reaching behind the cross brace and grasping/wiggling the line. The line itself is not taking the bulk of the pull, the tab is (which I suspect why it was designed that way). I must of done over 100 oil changes by now, never an issue with the strength of the tube nor the integrity of the O rings, no leaks to date. I have spares, but never had to use them.

Again, everyone's choice, but I do not want to scare people off giving it a try....
Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not flimsy, and the trick is to use the tab on the tube to apply some pressure to remove the tube, and then wiggle it out with your other hand by reaching behind the cross brace and grasping/wiggling the line. The line itself is not taking the bulk of the pull, the tab is (which I suspect why it was designed that way). I must of done over 100 oil changes by now, never an issue with the strength of the tube nor the integrity of the O rings, no leaks to date. I have spares, but never had to use them.

Again, everyone's choice, but I do not want to scare people off giving it a try....
Mike, I came very close to cross threading that damn line first time I did the oil change....needed help aligning it properly on reinstall. So the 1/4 to 1/2 litre, of oil that is nearly-new clean anyway, is fine with me. As you say, to each his own.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM
tian647
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Autozone OEM/Import car filter wrench Part Number: 25128

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc..._&number=25128

It will only remove the filter, and does a very good job of it.
I use one very similar to that to remove the filters - I have not had any issues with slippage, and I have used them on several 993's...
Originally Posted by DanL993
Based on a few other previous posts, I got the Craftsman 3 pronged wrench attachment (also mentioned in the OP) and it permits me to remove the small filter without removing the oil return line....a great advantage IMHO!
Thanks all for the suggestions -- I'm off to grab a new filter wrench, drop cloth and a form-a-funnel...

Christian
'95 Carrera

Quick Reply: My first 993 diy oil change