My first 993 diy oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
How much of that is labor?

It's interesting to see the layering of Rennlist members skills and approaches, from:

1 - no clue of what is under the skin of the car, or really do not care
2 - the car's function is (soft-of) understood, but not way will they touch it, or they do not want to get their hands dirty - often newbies
3 - the owner will attempt to do basic maintenance (oil changes) but are usually challenged
4 - the owner can dive deeper into the car, perhaps drop engines, clutch jobs, suspension swaps, etc. but internals look too daunting
5 - the owner will diagnose and rebuild all components, including engines and transmission

So, if you are at level 4 or 5, then sometimes it's hard to see the challenges at level 3, because relatively speaking, it's really simple stuff. What I hope is people will gain confidence and move up the ladder, perhaps not to level 5, but not be afraid to jump to 4 if they want to.

Where I get a kick out of level 1's, 2's and 3's acting like level 5's -> its pretty easy to detect that when it happens.

Damn engineer in me is coming out....

Cheers,

Mike
I'm currently a 2.5 on your scale and would very much like to see myself settle in as a 3 in the long-term.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:59 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The biggest challenge for going from 3 to 4 is lack of tools and time. Some enjoy working on 993 as much as driving them. Doing my own oil change made me realize that I enjoy driving it much more than working on it and there are many things I would rather be doing. I would not attempt anything more than a very basic work once in a while.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 80 Posts

I am probably a #3 with the exception of oil changes. I just hate doing them period and i work for a major oil brand LOL. I have learned a ton about my car on this site and how easy the basic stuff can e with proper tools and patience.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Mike. I like where you headed. I would also add the ability or access proper tools doing this on milk crates and a Kmart jack bad idea . I am 3.5. Did a suspension swap and replaced the housing for the fan and did the belts at same time obviously .
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Mike, it is sad for me to admit that I was once a level 4 but as some of us get older, the physical ability to bend, twist, and simply getting up after such contortions is not much fun. Now a three at best and with a 993, I would proudly be a 2.

993 oil changes are messy and the most difficult of any Carrera I have ever owned. Access to the smaller filter is not one of Porsche's proud engineering moments.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have top-end rebuild my engine. And I still find changing the oil HARD!!!!

BTW, you don't need to remove the metal oil tube to change the smaller filter. Did this myself over the past 7 years including last weekend.

1. remove the engine/tranny undertray.
2. remove the red rubber heater tube (between the flapper box and the hard metal tube toward the front).
3. stick the claw oil filter tool up to the filter and remove it with socket and long extensions. the oil coming out will be about 1/2 quart. be prepare to catch it.
4. wiggle it out the small filter between the metal bars....it will wiggle out
5. wiggle back in the small filter and tighten

Don't bother with the flimsy 3 prongs filter wrench. This is the one to get:
http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...25ra?id=297190

Last edited by axl911; 07-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's interesting to see the layering of Rennlist members skills and approaches, from:

2 - the car's function is (soft-of) understood, but not way will they touch it, or they do not want to get their hands dirty - often newbies
3 - the owner will attempt to do basic maintenance (oil changes) but are usually challenged
4 - the owner can dive deeper into the car, perhaps drop engines, clutch jobs, suspension swaps, etc. but internals look too daunting
5 - the owner will diagnose and rebuild all components, including engines and transmission

So, if you are at level 4 or 5, then sometimes it's hard to see the challenges at level 3, because relatively speaking, it's really simple stuff. What I hope is people will gain confidence and move up the ladder, perhaps not to level 5, but not be afraid to jump to 4 if they want to.

Where I get a kick out of level 1's, 2's and 3's acting like level 5's -> its pretty easy to detect that when it happens.

Cheers,

Mike
I have set a goal of developing into a 3.5. I've done some straightforward mods (HIDs, Clear Corners...) but haven't gone after mechanicals. I'm currently getting equipment together for Brake pad change+/-rotors in the fall. The Xmans thread reassured me that it is a good place to start. If that goes well, planning on tackling oil change in the spring. Then I'll move up to Goldenrod and SSK. At least that is the current plan . . . my big fear is having to call a tow truck and the walk of shame at my local shop for a botched DIY.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
I have top-end rebuild my engine. And I still find changing the oil HARD!!!!

BTW, you don't need to remove the metal oil tube to change the smaller filter. Did this myself over the past 7 years including last weekend.
I actually like removing the oil feed tube - it drains more used oil out of the engine/tank, and is a snap once you figure out how to wiggle the tube so it slides out. Been doing that on several cars for several years with no issues nor leaks (and have not replaced one O ring yet, knock on wood...).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-23-2013, 04:28 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bully67
I have set a goal of developing into a 3.5. I've done some straightforward mods (HIDs, Clear Corners...) but haven't gone after mechanicals. I'm currently getting equipment together for Brake pad change+/-rotors in the fall. The Xmans thread reassured me that it is a good place to start. If that goes well, planning on tackling oil change in the spring. Then I'll move up to Goldenrod and SSK. At least that is the current plan . . . my big fear is having to call a tow truck and the walk of shame at my local shop for a botched DIY.
I did break pads/rotors on my older toyota and my friend's Mazda 3 as dealers/break shops charge close to 1k. Both were much easier than the 993 oil change. I'm not sure if 4/6 piston caliper is much harder to work on or not.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Oil changes aren't difficult; just more involved than they should be.

BMW knows where to put an oil filter in the E36 and up models (and maybe some older ones as well). I had an E36. What a treat to work on.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Oil changes aren't difficult; just more involved than they should be.

BMW knows where to put an oil filter in the E36 and up models (and maybe some older ones as well). I had an E36. What a treat to work on.
I know what you're talking about. In my former E36, I can change the oil in <30mins. In the 993, 2 hours!!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Mike, it is sad for me to admit that I was once a level 4 but as some of us get older, the physical ability to bend, twist, and simply getting up after such contortions is not much fun. Now a three at best and with a 993, I would proudly be a 2.

993 oil changes are messy and the most difficult of any Carrera I have ever owned. Access to the smaller filter is not one of Porsche's proud engineering moments.

Also don't forget failing eyesight making it hard to 'see' what I am doing. I need a few sets of reading glasses with various powers and even then some of the finicky stuff is pretty well impossible.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cheers,

Mike

Now that's what I'm talking about ... someone like Mike shows real class and is a definite asset to RL!

This makes me recall our tie-rod pinning party back in February. We had about 15 993 owners of all backgrounds and level of experience with their cars (and car repair in general) who all took the step to join us to do Garth's mod at my home. We helped those who wanted it and left others do it themselves if they didn't.

But in the end, we had a great time (including the pizza and beer) and some were even able to bump up their mechanical skills up a knotch! I had someone comment that they had never worked on a car before but felt comfortable working on their car with our guidance.

Now that's what I call a true Rennlist community!

Marc G.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:19 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

All other steps I don't bitch about (tho the process is a lot more involved in any other cars I've worked on so far), but I still bitch about removing the passenger rear wheel and removing, lifting the inner wheel liner to gain access to the filter...
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM
tian647
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
Don't bother with the flimsy 3 prongs filter wrench. This is the one to get:
http://m.autozone.com/autozone-mobil...25ra?id=297190
Perhaps others have gotten different results but for me that URL pulls up a page containing nearly a dozen different style oil filter removal accessories.

Part number?

Thank you!

Christian Els
Kansas City
'95 Carrera
<Getting ready for my first DIY oil change on the 993>

Quick Reply: My first 993 diy oil change