Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help quick please! Car started to lose power as driving. No Gears!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM
d ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmurchison
UPDATE: So i charged up the battery with a battery charger to 100%. Put it in the car and it read about 12.4 volts, then turned on the car and it was about 13.4 volts. Drove for the next 2 -3 days no problem, then drove on a 200 mile trip. No problem.

Now, about 30 min ago coming home from the door the radio died. Then turned on then things seemed to start to drain. Might I ad i had the head lights on. (HID lights)

The car made it home, measured the battery with the car off and it read 11.4 volts. Then turned the car on and turned on the headlights and the battery read 10.4volts.

So do you think its the battery or the alternator?
Charge your battery again then Start your car then measure the voltage with the engine running using your multimeter, should be showing around 14volts, if it is then its your battery that is knackered, if its showing a lot less than 14volts then its most likely your alternator

As others have mentioned if your battery earth strap is the original, then change it as a matter of course
Old 07-25-2013, 03:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

UPDATE: So i charged up the battery with a battery charger to 100%.
How do you know. Did battery voltage reach 14.4V at the end of charge?

Put it in the car and it read about 12.4 volts, then turned on the car and it was about 13.4 volts. Drove for the next 2 -3 days no problem, then drove on a 200 mile trip. No problem.
12.4V open circuit or with an interior light or luggage compartment light on? A fully charged battery (open circuit) will measure 12.65 to 12.75V for a regular lead acid battery.

13.4V with the engine running and a fully charged battery? You alternator and/or built-in voltage regulator are gone.

You were able to drive as much as you did because your alternator is putting something out, but not enough to fully charge the battery and supply the electrical systems.

You battery is weak as well. I would replace both.

Quick Reply: Need help quick please! Car started to lose power as driving. No Gears!